Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Governance of the FAI

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    What's he done over his tenure? Was he treating it like a going concern? It doesn't seem wholly sensible to rush in the board of directors quota. It's like tomorrow saying we want 50/50 male to femal primary school teachers or in banking we want 50:50. You'd lose huge experience overnight
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Lads, I don't know about anyone else but the start of this year has filled me with some optimism. More players seem to be on the brink of a breakthrough, other players establishing themselves further, depending on who comes in but breaking up the boys club in the FAI can only be a good thing and of course, it looks like we'll be getting a new, competent senior manager. 2023 will be the start of something great. You mark my words. I feel it in me waters.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...-betting-levy/

Found this article good, someone finally calling out the horsey industry but to get money you have to spend money and that's what that industry does.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Lads Im aware we dont link The S*n stories here, but I think the following is worth highlighting. Well written by Neil O'Riordan who I do trust more than the average reporter there, Ive linked his tweet about the article.

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status...676014081?s=20

In my opinion this needs to be followed up on, where did the money go?

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    I get the sense they're hinting at what they think the answer to that question is without requiring you to click on the link in the tweet.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Exactly. The lawyers have restricted what Neil can say but I think the meaning is clear.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    He used to be a w**nker but he's alright now

Sorry I couldn't resist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    havent seen much about this on here or in general. Sounds promising (like many plans and promises in the past).

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...ilities-audit/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65836095

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I was talking to 4 TDs prematch across all parties and they said they fell around laughing at the FAI plan and the FAI had done feck all lobbying for it

One of them said straight out that getting €50 for the local GAA club was worth about 1,000 votes versus if he got the local soccer club €100k it was worth 10 votes.

He also said the FAI don’t know how to lobby at all and whoever is doing the PR is robbing a wage. This is total soccer nut who has no time for the GAA bar the votes.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfc_2004 View Post
    I was talking to 4 TDs prematch across all parties and they said they fell around laughing at the FAI plan and the FAI had done feck all lobbying for it

One of them said straight out that getting €50 for the local GAA club was worth about 1,000 votes versus if he got the local soccer club €100k it was worth 10 votes.

He also said the FAI don’t know how to lobby at all and whoever is doing the PR is robbing a wage. This is total soccer nut who has no time for the GAA bar the votes.
    I think the FAI are doing all right, they are not going the quiet way around it but given the size of the underfunding I think they had to go big. For the first time there has been a spotlight on the poor funding. The government will find it hard to ignore it and my experience is all politicians love nothing more than a capital project in their area. The key for this government will be those that can have a ribbon cut before the next election. I don't think everything will be funded but the government will fund some things. Football is up and coming again if your political pals dont realise this the last laugh will be on them at the ballot box.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewhitepele View Post
    I think the FAI are doing all right, they are not going the quiet way around it but given the size of the underfunding I think they had to go big. For the first time there has been a spotlight on the poor funding. The government will find it hard to ignore it and my experience is all politicians love nothing more than a capital project in their area. The key for this government will be those that can have a ribbon cut before the next election. I don't think everything will be funded but the government will fund some things. Football is up and coming again if your political pals dont realise this the last laugh will be on them at the ballot box.
    I think you’re absolutely right and I think the political establishment is behind the curve on this issue. Varadkar seems positively hostile to supporting football. I posted here ages ago that I wrote to him asking to investigate the governance of the FAI around 2011 and I got a letter back saying the internal affairs of a sporting institution are none of his business (he was the competent minister at the time) and referring me to an Oireachtas Committee chaired by John O’Mahony TD (now senator). Big John ignored several emails yet the same committee was quick to seek attention after the Rowan/Tighe stuff came out.

I do wonder if the WNT have a good WC if it’ll create momentum among the political classes. “We did well but we could be even better if…”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts

they sound like buffoons tbh.
    rapidly heading towards being the fattest population in europe, mental health issues on the rise, crime on the rise...... and we are represented by these sort of eejits who cant see the benefits in growing all our sports and only have an eye on the next vote. shower of wallies

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts

FWIW I did a podcast a year ago with Aodhan O'Riordan. He said the same thing - that the GAA and IRFU are streets ahead of the FAI when it comes to applications for grants.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    FWIW I did a podcast a year ago with Aodhan O'Riordan. He said the same thing - that the GAA and IRFU are streets ahead of the FAI when it comes to applications for grants.

He said the same again on LoI Central a few weeks back iirc. That episode, I think, preceded the actual request for a grant. I think his point was that they are brutal at lobbying, aren't really trusted for obvious reasons and have never come to the government with a plan. One of those things has changed at least?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I went out to Italia 90 with a couple of Scottish pals, but stayed on for a bit when they (predictably enough) went home after the Group matches. I ended up in Genoa on the day of the Romania/ROI game, but no ticket. Got chatting to a couple of Irish lassies who'd flown out on the day, similarly without tickets and told them I was going out to the stadium early, to see what I might pick up.

Anyhow, when we got there there was a big crowd of ROI fans surrounding a fella in an FAI blazer. He had loads (hundreds?) of tickets in bundles, bulging from his pockets, which he was giving out free to all and sundry - I nabbed three, but probably could have got more.

It's very possible that that was the late Joe Delaney.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    It's also possible it wasn't. I got given plenty of tickets for Holland v Egypt by another senior FAI figure outside the stadium just before KO on condition I only gave them to Irish fans. Dr. Tony O'Neill, a guy whose reputation remains fully in tact. In fact, I've said before his premature death was probably a "sliding doors" moment for Irish football.

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    There's a memory! O'Neill (ex-UCD, if we're talking about the same man) was always great for the tickets, stutts... and yes, I only heard good things about him over the years.
    Last edited by texidub; 26/06/2023 at 8:49 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...375344883.html . Horse racing doing its bit to get the football a better chance of getting a bigger slice of the betting tax pie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Saw that. And IRFU dragged into the RTE Barter Account scandal, if only in the sense that public money was being spent on the IRFU in an undisclosed manner. Good day for the FAI all round

27. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast