Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Governance of the FAI

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What happened at the EGM? Did they first check out the accounts, look deep into the bottomless dark hole, had a look at the bailout plan and thought 6 + 6 doesn't look too harsh?
    I'd say that's a fair synopsis, to which I'd add that the "football family" has made it clear that while they may have a weak hand, they are still important and they are watching the Board and its way of doing things very closely.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    More governance shenanigans at the FAI.

Andrew Doyle of Shels has stepped down from the FAI’s finance committee. This follows a PWC partner Sean Brodie who resigned from the audit risk and compliance committee in May. Each joined their respectice committee in October 2019 but neither committee has met since then.

“I’m not entirely sure it is possible to resign from a Committee which does not yet exist, but I do so in any event”, wrote Doyle.

Personally I’d love a job on a committee that never met, but I guess Brodie and Doyle are professionals

Doyle alleged shortcomings in six areas, accusing the FAI of:
    • Unauthorised borrowing
    • Failure to convene critical committee
    • Failure to provide financial information to financial committee members
    • Breach of independent chairman’s duties
    • Blocking of nominations’ committee independent majority
    • Failure to address formal complaints

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    More governance shenanigans at the FAI.

Andrew Doyle of Shels has stepped down from the FAI’s finance committee. This follows a PWC partner Sean Brodie who resigned from the audit risk and compliance committee in May. Each joined their respectice committee in October 2019 but neither committee has met since then.

“I’m not entirely sure it is possible to resign from a Committee which does not yet exist, but I do so in any event”, wrote Doyle.

Personally I’d love a job on a committee that never met, but I guess Brodie and Doyle are professionals

Doyle alleged shortcomings in six areas, accusing the FAI of:
    • Unauthorised borrowing
    • Failure to convene critical committee
    • Failure to provide financial information to financial committee members
    • Breach of independent chairman’s duties
    • Blocking of nominations’ committee independent majority
    • Failure to address formal complaints
    Nesta99 gave another link in the FAI troubles thread. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...mpression=true

It sounds bloody awful, and same old same old. I hope someone raises it with the Minister for Sport, Staycations and the Cúpla Focail in the Dáil. The FAI should be getting it in the neck for this.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It's very worrying, especially considering the issues with the Delaney regime were also basically all of the same things. I would have though governance and the finance and audit committees would have been at the very top of the priority list.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Initially I thought the most worrying bit was the self branding of the rescuers of Irish football as 'The Visionaries'.
    As it turns out, Barrett made a good deal with the government, better than anyone could have expected and even negotiated a radical elevation of the grant funding paid out to Irish football annually.
    The 6+6 issue turned out to be a flat tire, a red herring issue. The perception was of the bleating of delusional FAI peeved egos. The idea of 6 V 6 was projected to appeal to emotion but instead what was more evident was a board of 6 + 6, making 12.

Niall Quinn apparently branded as a non-football entity, not part of the exclusive breed the "football family". The criteria must be something awesome to get into the FAI football family house, if 90 caps, 10,000 headers and 20 goals over 15 years don't get you past the door.
    Mick Wallace complaining about "government blackmail", typical culchee politician complaining about 'dem in Dublin' just sounded to me like a politician with a political agenda. Just how silent was Mick during Delaney's era, not a peep from Mick then.

The other stuff from the Shels member - most probably genuine grievances, I'd wait and see what transpires over the next months.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Initially I thought the most worrying bit was the self branding of the rescuers of Irish football as 'The Visionaries'.
    As it turns out, Barrett made a good deal with the government, better than anyone could have expected and even negotiated a radical elevation of the grant funding paid out to Irish football annually.
    The 6+6 issue turned out to be a flat tire, a red herring issue. The perception was of the bleating of delusional FAI peeved egos. The idea of 6 V 6 was projected to appeal to emotion but instead what was more evident was a board of 6 + 6, making 12.

Niall Quinn apparently branded as a non-football entity, not part of the exclusive breed the "football family". The criteria must be something awesome to get into the FAI football family house, if 90 caps, 10,000 headers and 20 goals over 15 years don't get you past the door.
    Mick Wallace complaining about "government blackmail", typical culchee politician complaining about 'dem in Dublin' just sounded to me like a politician with a political agenda. Just how silent was Mick during Delaney's era, not a peep from Mick then.

The other stuff from the Shels member - most probably genuine grievances, I'd wait and see what transpires over the next months.
    Might be my fault, genuinely interested but I struggled to follow a lot of what's written in that post

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

It's so good to hear you stand up for us in Dublin.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Might be my fault, genuinely interested but I struggled to follow a lot of what's written in that post
    I didn't thgink it was that difficult to follow!

Quinn was (indirectly I think) referred to as a non-football person or an outsider by a, eh, football person complaining that non-football people were taking over the FAI.

There are two issues here: whether these guys now in charge are any good, and whether good governance practice is being followed. The answer to first question is still to be established and there are worrying signs already that we won't like the answer to the second. The lack of transparency in appointment processes is a big worry already.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    FAI new CEO will be Jonathan Hill according to the times

- https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...tive-1.4357913

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTimes View Post
    The Football Association of Ireland is to have a new chief executive for the first time since 2005 as former English FA commercial director Jonathan Hill completes final negotiations over filling the vacancy.

Olympic Federation of Ireland president Sarah Keane had emerged as the favourite to fill the permanent vacancy once interim boss Gary Owens pulled out of the running and, while she made the final interview stage last Friday, Hill’s candidature was considered by the interview board as most suitable given their current challenges.

Facing a period when the debt-ridden association requires significant private turnover to complement the State aid clinched by recent reform updates, Hill can point to a proven track record in driving revenues.

He more than doubled commercial income to €900 million during a five-year cycle at the FA.

Since leaving Soho Square in 2009, the Leeds United fan, who started out in the broadcasting industry, has remained in sport, working for leading companies such as Kentaro, IMG, WPP, and most recently Laureus.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Seems like being a Leeds fan is important at the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-irfu-and-fai/
    PEAK6 offered to run Lansdowne Road for the FAI. I'm a little unclear whether he offered to run it for both of them or just decided to take a swipe at the IRFU, but from the article:
    Hulsizer said: "We were informed that the IRFU had no interest in running the stadium at a profit and were content to have it available for their matches. The letter came from the FAI and in fairness there was no contact with the IRFU.

"I noted recently the IRFU reaching out to the Government for financial help because of Covid-19 and find it ironic the utilising of an asset to obtain cash is less acceptable than asking the Irish Government and the Irish taxpayer to bail them out."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Will they have to defer the AGM again to allow the new man to read himself in, in order to be able to answer questions?

Is he even confirmed? No word since the 'leaks' five days ago ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Former head of the feasability study for the 2030 World Cup David Courell has been appointed as COO: https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/cou...rating-officer
    FAI welcomes €19m in funding from the government: https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai...rom-government
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 14/12/2021 at 1:44 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I awoke today in a parallel universe where the FAI has a good, reputable and low key CEO, a good COO, a popular MNT and a wildly popular WNT, while the IRFU's leadership is getting slated and reported to the Government for its its treatment of its women players. Next you'll be telling me that some bat virus is threatening humanity and we can't do normal things anymore.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Former head of the feasability study for the 2030 World Cup David Courell has been appointed as CEO: https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/cou...rating-officer
    FAI welcomes €19m in funding from the government: https://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai...rom-government
    Typo: COO, not CEO

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I awoke today in a parallel universe where the FAI has a good, reputable and low key CEO, a good COO, a popular MNT and a wildly popular WNT, while the IRFU's leadership is getting slated and reported to the Government for its its treatment of its women players. Next you'll be telling me that some bat virus is threatening humanity and we can't do normal things anymore.
    The rugby girls can grow up tbh
    They and they alone got beaten by Spain not to qualify for the women's rugby World Cup
    They were criticised by the management and are now literally being babies.

Just to put it into football context. That result is 100 times worse then the lux defeat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The rugby girls can grow up tbh
    They and they alone got beaten by Spain not to qualify for the women's rugby World Cup
    They were criticised by the management and are now literally being babies.

Just to put it into football context. That result is 100 times worse then the lux defeat
    this appeared in the IT a while back...

In the 2019-2020 IRFU accounts, the union spent €2.5 million on women’s representative rugby. By way of comparison, Italy spent €800,000 on the women’s game including domestic rugby and administration salaries. Ireland had six pre-tournament camps, Scotland had one and another was cancelled because of budgetary constraints.

The focus in Spain in terms of international rugby for the women’s game centres on Sevens. They don’t have access to elite competition at 15s level. So purely based on funding and preparation, Ireland should have been well primed to qualify from the event in Italy.

we lost to Spain and Scotland in the qualifiers. I think I read that Scotland spend approximately 40% on their womens team than the IRFU do. the failure to qualify for the WC was inexcusable and nothing to do with the IRFUs resourcing of the game here.

id love to have a pop at the IRFU but its very hard to in this instance...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    FAI AGM time again. The FAI have reported a surplus of €6.7m for 2021, which sounds very positive.

Slightly strangely, cash at bank has gone from E16m up to E27m (ie an E11m increase), while they've borrowed an extra E1m so they now owe E63.5m in loans. I don't really know why they're holding so much cash when there's so much debt knocking about. Other creditors (mainly deferred income) are up around E3m.

Still, it's a solid result and if they could repeat that this year (and I don't know if that's feasible; grant income in particular is well up for example), they'd be well on the road to recovery I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    FAI Chairman, Roy Barrett, to step down shortly. Not sure what this means for the FAI over the next few months or for Kenny’s tenure but bound to create some chaos after a period of relative stability.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    FAI Chairman, Roy Barrett, to step down shortly. Not sure what this means for the FAI over the next few months or for Kenny’s tenure but bound to create some chaos after a period of relative stability.
    Kenny’s biggest ally in the association apparently,he might be sitting uncomfortably at present…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

26. Thanks From:

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast