Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Governance of the FAI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    That is fairly depressing stuff. I was hoping JD would get a good grilling. Asking for questions to be submitted in advance? Obviously guarding against another Dion Fanning 'attack' as he saw it probably.

Do they always have the AGM following the Festival of Football i.e. in the same county? Lets make a few friends and then hold the AGM in their backgarden type affair?

And, when it came to ‘3’ marketing director Elaine Carey having her say at the AGM, she gave one reason for the contrasting absence of vigour at the event itself: a late night in Letterkenny and "a lot of sore heads".

No doubt JD and the other executives were present, networking, rubbing shoulders. Sounds like one of those team building events at work where you have an almighty session the night before and the following morning is supposed to be the serious event. Everyone just sits there, wrecked and drinking water and waiting for the thing to finish so they can get on their way home.

Constant references to 'are we better than when I/we took over? yes" is complete failure to look at the bigger picture - How long has he been in 'power' now, A better question would be "are we better than this time last year?"
    Last edited by Junior; 23/07/2012 at 4:08 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya, not even to compare with last year, but over the course of his tenure.

I'm really surprised that at an AGM they don't take questions at the end, yes if its a motion or whatever that is being proposed then you need to write in so that it can be worded correctly and added to any other list of motions. But this tactic, sounds like a JD arse-covering maneouvre to vet any questions and prepare answers accordingly. Its a pity the press couldn't ask questions at the end in front of all others there - or could they? If so surely they would have.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I see The Coach Diary (now my favourite Irish football blog) has seen fit to comment on the AGM too:

http://www.thecoachdiary.com/not-one...t-the-fai-agm/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I have to say I'm alarmed by JD's use of the phrase "the football family". It's straight out of Blatter's manual of how to close ranks and fend of criticism.

- 2 LOI clubs have gone bust (more or less)
    - The association has a lot of debt relating to a stadium it won't even own in the long run
    - The CEO's salary is under scrutiny in the press, and at a time when many are being laid off
    - The player development channels (rightly or wronghly) are being scrutinised following the Euros
    - Accounting obfuscation aside, it would appear that funding to the grass roots has been cut

And not one member of the football family saw fit to ask a question from the floor?

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya but both associations will have joint ownership, no stutts? In that event anytime its used for other events, then surely both associations split the profit?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    A 50:50 JV between IRFU and FAI has a 60 year lease on the stadium. After this it reverts to full ownership by the IRFU.

OK, as Keynes famously said "in the long run we're all dead" but at some point in time the FAI will be homeless again. Maybe this is just nitpicking.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No thats interesting, i didnt know that. And as someone who is currently in the process of extending his leasehold, and fully aware of the cost(its extremely costly) the future is never that far off. I'm surprised its only 60 years. The FAI should have negotiated a better deal
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You are nit-picking. Buying a permanent share in the ground would have been hugely expensive.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Probably best to discuss this in FAI Finances thread? Ideally keep this to a structural / governance discussion.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a flat on a 60 year lease but there you are. You've been an angry ant a lot lately Charlie.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They didn't buy it though, they split the payment on the renovations. It's like doing up your rented flat and then complaining because your landlord didn't sign over the deeds.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think it poses the obvious question of whether they got a good deal. What could they have got for the same financial commitment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who knows if it's a good deal? All we know is they could never have afforded to actually buy the land so a long-term lease was the only realistic option. 60 years for the split cost of constructing a stadium that will probably be obsolete by then isn't bad going.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Probably best to discuss this in FAI Finances thread? Ideally keep this to a structural / governance discussion.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a flat on a 60 year lease but there you are. You've been an angry ant a lot lately Charlie.
    Leaseholds in Ireland and England are completely different stutts, anything under 80, which is what i did as i couldn't afford anything else at the time, in England is considered a no-go. NOt in ireland, right up until the last year you are seen as somewhat attractive - mortgages or whatever finance option were available wouldn't work the same at home based on the lease length either.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Who knows if it's a good deal? All we know is they could never have afforded to actually buy the land so a long-term lease was the only realistic option. 60 years for the split cost of constructing a stadium that will probably be obsolete by then isn't bad going.
    They could afford it now i'm sure
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well that's the point - if the FAI had bought the land to go with the lease, the property value would already have plummeted, and who knows what it will be worth in 60 years?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Well the cost of building it now, would be a lot less than it was back then im sure. It was completed just before the crash.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I never knew about the 60 year lease thing. Jeez that doesn't sound like a good deal at all. Why not just let the IRFU fund the redevelopment themselves if the FAI are not going to own half the stadium. They might save on rental fees for the next 60 years but I'm sure the cost of renovation + interest (which is nearly breaking them), is not worth that.

Also, for the person who used the analogy of doing up you rented house, who renovates a rented house anyway? Surely that is like p!ssing money away?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    60 yrs.

Hmm, most of us will be dead at that stage. Maybe the FAI will finally have built their own ground by that stage.

We have until around 2050 to find out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    I never knew about the 60 year lease thing. Jeez that doesn't sound like a good deal at all. Why not just let the IRFU fund the redevelopment themselves if the FAI are not going to own half the stadium. They might save on rental fees for the next 60 years but I'm sure the cost of renovation + interest (which is nearly breaking them), is not worth that.

Also, for the person who used the analogy of doing up you rented house, who renovates a rented house anyway? Surely that is like p!ssing money away?
    Do you live in rented accommodation?

The stadium wouldn't have been done up without the FAI's money, nor would it have been done up without the IRFU's money. It was a joint effort and 60 years seems like quite a reasonable deal for the FAI on ground they have no pre-existing claim to. If the IRFU had decided to sell the land to a developer in 2006, the FAI would have got nothing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post

Yes it was, until GLadstone brought in that law around 1904 for Irish tenants! But certainly its not a good analogy in the Irish context.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast