Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the sum of the parts greater than the whole?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    tricky ybig is more about supporting the team and members who go to games. this forum is not.you would be more suited here.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I would say not, not in this tournament anyway.
    I, for one, would be quite happy if the sum of the parts wasn't greater than the whole, which is to say if the sum of the parts was less than the whole, which is to say that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Collectively we were worse that the sum of the individual players talents.
    Or, so you've changed your tune now, eh?

Or can we say that by and large it was poor individual performance fron all of them?
    What is it with the hyperbolic reaction to the tournament? We played three games we were second favourite in, and lost each of them. That's what happens most of the time. I have as much national pride as the next guy, but we're not fecking magic. And yes, Croatia and Spain made us look a bit hapless; good teams will do that some of the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Fact remains people are voting with their feet and that proves me right.
    I have a feeling you are a POS.

And a look at your profile confirms that. Explains a lot.
    As I said, there is a button that will cure one of your issues.

The rest of your issues are yours to deal with.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    What I am saying is their individual performance for their respective clubs seemed better
    than their collective performance in the the tournament (but not in qualifying).
    Basically they had a bad tournament, I said in earlier posts we were due a bad tournament.
    Actually I am not sure I did actually say it, I definitely thought it but I think I might
    have held back from saying so so as to not tempt fate or reduce confidence.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post

What is it with the hyperbolic reaction to the tournament? We played three games we were second favourite in, and lost each of them. That's what happens most of the time. I have as much national pride as the next guy, but we're not fecking magic. And yes, Croatia and Spain made us look a bit hapless; good teams will do that some of the time.
    ahhhh tell me when the war is over...until then ill be in my bunker....

its not necessarily being beaten in all 3 games when we were underdogs-well to me it does but lets entertain your point for a while, when are we generally not underdogs? we still get results- its the manner of those defeats. i can count on each hand for each game how many shots we had. we were hammered in every game. we conceded 9 goals. we completed less passes in all our games than spain did in one. we were lethargic, lacking urgency, slow...a whole load of things but most importantly one thing we hold dearly as a nation is pride, the players showed no pride. not an ounce.

i could go on. i don't need to, it wasnt a hyperbolic reaction but a justified one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I dunno about the players showing no pride. You're falling into the old pundit's trap of crying out for passion.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    SkStu is most certainly not a Paul O'Shea.

I didn't mean Paul O Shea, use the urban dictionary if you had trouble understanding the meaning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    No it was caused by by some people complaining about what I post and where, I have as much right to post as anyone else
    and I won't have people telling me what to do. If they don't like my post they don't have to read them.

But I decide where when and what I post. Nobody else.

If you don't like it - tough you will have to learn to live with it or at least provide a credible reason why I should
    change because I am not the type to bow to bullies, never will be.
    You do realize this whole "I'll do what I want, when I want, regardless of how it affect the forum and the people using it" makes you sound like a petulant spoiled child, right? In six years on this forum I can't recall ever having any issue with you and I see no reason to start now. However, there are protocols that are and have, at least since I've been here, been followed on this forum that almost all others follow without issue. Each player has his own thread, each match, tournament, and the odd broad idea as well...its not complicated and, as mentioned, it keeps the forum tidy. This is why I mentioned YBIG, as that is the opposite, with people creating a thread and posting with every daft thought that pops into their head (we do have a couple of those as well, unfortunately, but, as SkStu mentioned, thats why we have an Ignore List, which unfortunately YBIG does not). If you don't like the leaders of the forum, leave. If you don't like the way the threads are set up, leave. If you can't stand the members here or what is being posted, leave (hell, thats why I left YBIG). However, obviously you've been here nearly nine years so it would seem you have some affinity for this place and I'd like to think after this awful tournament has ended everything will go back to normal.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 25/06/2012 at 6:18 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I dunno about the players showing no pride. You're falling into the old pundit's trap of crying out for passion.
    I'm not falling into any trap, the only pride i saw, was a few pseudo-tears at the end of the Italy game, and they were even hard found. Revert back to the France game 2.5 years previously and you can see pride.

Mirroring Englands perparations, I think Hodgson did a great job and got everything right, sadly England and English football is just too far gone, to be capable of beating continental or top South American teams.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12