Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 48.00%
  • No

39 52.00%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Let's face reality, Trap is staying and there will be on change to the gameplan. All we can expect is some change in personnel due to retirements..
    He might revert to 2 banks of 5 to shore things up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    He might revert to 2 banks of 5 to shore things up
    No recognisable strikers. Very like Spain that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Tets and jbyrne, I was only having a light hearted dig and if you see it like this you may see the funnier side of it, as it was intended:

Danny was saying that he's in favour of Trap staying if he proves more adaptable and brings in younger players, which is what Trap was quoted as saying he'd look at. I agree, as do a fair amount here. My point is that he's got to actually follow through with this, not just feed the press with what he thinks they want to hear. I do actually think Trap will feel he has a point to prove.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Let's face reality, Trap is staying and there will be on change to the gameplan. All we can expect is some change in personnel due to retirements..
    And more game time for Green, McShane, O'Dea.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    And more game time for Green, McShane, O'Dea.........
    Green only got into the squad because McCarthy withdrew for personal reasons and Fahey was injured
    McShane and O'Dea had zero game tiem in the Euro's
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    has o'dea ever let us down anyway?
    underated in my opinion

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    I agree, but not the future either. Capable back up for qualifiers but I think that's his limit.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The choice of Cox over Shane Long is both baffling and a poor footballing decision. Tha falling out with so many players who might have made a difference again reeks of Givenitis. Wilson at left back would have been a better footballing choice than Ward. McCarthy IMO would never have recused himself from the squad if he had been an established member of the team (which he should already have been). I can't think of one Premiership manager who would start Cox ahead of Long. The messing about of Stephen Reid again completely unnecessary. With such a small group of players to choose from we simply can't afford to be alienating so many players. And as far as the comments to the press about changing things. Its nonsense talk. Anybody who buys that well I've got a bridge to sell. The team that should and could have started against Croatia
    Westwood,
    O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Wilson
    Duff, McCarthy, Andrews, McGeady
    Doyle/Walters Long

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That only applies If Given was injured. Though he seems increasingly prone and even if he sticks around for the WCQ's it must be surely his last campaign.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    If there's any truth in the Sunday Mirror and Paul Rowan accusations (which should be linked here, and not in some random Damien Duff tributary thread) then I think Trap's position will become untenable. The reported incidents hardly sound impluasible.

On one hand there are clear mitigants, mainly the quality of the opposition, but on the other we have:

Awful man management, I mean truly awful
    Overtraining (which England's Italian fitness coach was guilty of in 2006 I think)
    Outdated tactics
    Lack of flexibility
    Dumb substitutions

Look, I know he got us there which only Jack had ever done before but the stuff Rowan is writing makes me feel very uneasy.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    It's quite a big 'If, though acknowledge valid criticisms.

But if it comes to it, we can't afford to pay him off, being the bottom line.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I'm fed up of travelling long distances to watch a mediocre team. I bet I'm hurting a lot more than Trap at the moment. It seems we are stuck with him because we're skint. When is his contract up? If it's at the end of the qualifying campaign get rid of him then, he has proved that he can get teams to finals but it would be no lose if we had someone else for the finals. Remember how he did that time with Italy? worst they've ever played at a tournament.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I was keen not to jump on any anti-Trap bandwagon after our dismal few weeks but the more I think about it, the more I think he is just not the right man for the job. All throughout the qualifications we did not look confident or like we were improving. Regardless of the opponent we rarely even tried to keep pocession. Trap's plan, and seeming his only plan, is to defend and catch teams on the break/through set-pieces. He seems to think this is our only option and it is all this team is capable of. The problem I have is that I feel the players at his disposal are capable of better. We may not have any world-beaters but Ireland rarely have had many, yet we never before set out to go into games with our tails between our legs from the offset.

If this stuff in the papers about players being (understandably) unhappy with his unwillingness to give other personnel/tactics a chance then that just makes me more fed up with the man. He showed no leadership off this pitch this summer and was devoid of any ideas when it came to tactics. Playing Cox on the wing/in midfield as a Plan B just stupid when you have better wingers and midfielder. His loyalty to some rather mediocre players (Green over Gibson v. Spain) is ridiculous. Add to that the fact he may have made a balls of things with some key young players and that just about sums up why I am very unsure he is the right man for the job now.

Having said all that, there's no doubt he will be kept on and I can only hope he now realised the need to give the younger lads a shot and maybe get the team playing more. Otherwise we might be in for a bleak couple of years.

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If he's lost the dressing room, that's it.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yep before when we qualified for something, we were optimistic, rightfully so I mean, not the usual blind fan optimism, that we would qualify for the next tournament. This time there is no real cause or hope for optimism.

My hope, which wont happen, is to keep him for the year, get over the first couple of games and get rid of him, hodgson has shown that you can take over a team with limited time and get results, though I know its a bit radical. I just think its too soon to get someone in for the september and october games. I still think he can get us a win in Kazhakstan with his crap football.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Yes, but CD makes the point briefly and clearly - if he's lost the dressing room there's no going back. That's the key for me. If I felt the players were being spoilt brats then they can fcek off but I don't think that is the case here - again, that assumes Rowan is on the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If there's any truth in the Sunday Mirror and Paul Rowan accusations (which should be linked here, and not in some random Damien Duff tributary thread) then I think Trap's position will become untenable. The reported incidents hardly sound impluasible.

On one hand there are clear mitigants, mainly the quality of the opposition, but on the other we have:

Awful man management, I mean truly awful
    Overtraining (which England's Italian fitness coach was guilty of in 2006 I think)
    Outdated tactics
    Lack of flexibility
    Dumb substitutions

Look, I know he got us there which only Jack had ever done before but the stuff Rowan is writing makes me feel very uneasy.
    These factors are similarly colouring my opinion. I outlined why I voted a qualified 'yes', but I may have voted 'no' had I been aware of the issues with players. It was mentioned somewhere that senior players advised Trap to take a family holiday before deciding on his future. That is worrying.

Here's the scan from Twitter again for the sake of convenience:

I've tweeted Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh to see if he can provide a scan of pages 64 and 65.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Thanks - I'm not allowed photobucket here. Will look it up later at home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I thought that was what they told Dunne to takea family a holiday before deciding on retiring?

Its all so funny how the Trapologists are now calling for Trap to resign.

Supporters Fans are a fickle bunch alright.

I think given the autumn fixtures, if Trap gets 7 points from them , then he should be allowed stay on. Otherwise get rid of him, plenty of time for a new manager to come in and have a look at players, actually go to watch the team, and then hopefully still be in with a chance of qualifying. Its just sweden are always so clinical in qualifiers that we cant afford slip ups.

September 7, 2012

Kazakhstan v Republic of Ireland

October 12, 2012

Republic of Ireland v Germany

October 16, 2012
    Faroe Islands v Republic of Ireland

7 points is more than doable, considering a home tie against Germany.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 25/06/2012 at 3:19 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Oh Paul, you're a visionary.

Who exactly was a Trapologist anyway?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast