Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 48.00%
  • No

39 52.00%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If there's any truth in the Sunday Mirror and Paul Rowan accusations (which should be linked here, and not in some random Damien Duff tributary thread) then I think Trap's position will become untenable. The reported incidents hardly sound impluasible.

On one hand there are clear mitigants, mainly the quality of the opposition, but on the other we have:

Awful man management, I mean truly awful
    Overtraining (which England's Italian fitness coach was guilty of in 2006 I think)
    Outdated tactics
    Lack of flexibility
    Dumb substitutions

Look, I know he got us there which only Jack had ever done before but the stuff Rowan is writing makes me feel very uneasy.
    There is a poster that used to be on here, soccerc, he is over on ybig every so often, and he mentioned that the stories are going to be coming out in the next few weeks. I've found him to be very informed in the past.

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts...hem-out#953750

Paul Rowan had some really icy articles in the Sunday Times this weekend, but crucially there were no direct quotes from players, or any on the record stuff from FAI board members. Some of it actually was very close to what posters here have said over the past few weeks.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Good, interesting debate, but ultimately pointless. Trap is going nowhere and as warm and fuzzy as a Mick mcCarthy return might make us feel, it is not going to happen in the medium term. Trap aint going so lets just hope he sees sense and makes some serious changes in certain areas - and soon!!
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 26/06/2012 at 12:59 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Delaney is the one in a precarious position. He is smart enough to know that he can't allow another Swiss home game scenario under MicMac to happen. But he also extended Traps contract. Paul Rowan (and others) are alleging that Richard Dunne confronted Trapatonni after the Italy game. Thats more serious than anything McClean, Gibson or Hunt allege. Dunne is the real captain of the team.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Its all shades of Berti Vogts with Scotland. And Delaney said in yesterdays inteview with the Indo that he would be sitting down with Trap to go over things. What exactly is Delaney going to tell Trap? You must pick such and such a player. This is all going to end in tears and sooner than I thought.
    That's a good point Noely.
    Possibly the triumvirate who interviewed Trap to begin with (or another bunch), should sit down with Trap, review and find out what his definite plans are for the next campaign. He likes to talk football, doesn't he?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Team morale was fine on the eve of the first game. 3 one sided beatings and there is disgruntlement. No surprise there really. A losing dressing room is an unhappy one. Particularly for those players who feel they didn't get a fair crack of the whip during the tournament itself. Gibson has a legitimate grievance and playing Cox on the wing would upset the wide players but I'd be very surprised if there is outright mutiny amongst the squad just yet.

If training was too extreme then I'd expect the captain/senior players to have a word with the coaches. They did get one rest day after McGeady came out with his comments about the camp.

I've not read the Rowan article yet so will have a hunt for it now.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    It is true that Rowan has only have had one point of view in this regard and that's got to be taken into account.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Who could we get in to replace him? Mick McCarthy ? I really don't see that going well. In the cold light of day he didn't get us to France 98, didn't get us to Holland/Belgium 2000 and played a big part in us not getting to Euro 2004. He probably had a better team than the current one with both Keanes, Duff and Given being at their best and being World Class players.
    Did Trapp actually get us to the Euro finals? He got us to the play-offs by virtue of coming second in a very soft group. The luck of the draw got us to the finals. Any of the other sides in the play-offs would probably have beaten us. On that score his record is no better than Mick's. We now know what a Trapp future would look like and it's a hideous spectacle of wasted talent, alienated players and dreadful football. Mick is no world-beater abd there are other options out there, but he would be greeted as a footballing saviour by most of our players and I suspect a growing number of supporters if he came back now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Did Trapp actually get us to the Euro finals? He got us to the play-offs by virtue of coming second in a very soft group. The luck of the draw got us to the finals. Any of the other sides in the play-offs would probably have beaten us. On that score his record is no better than Mick's. We now know what a Trapp future would look like and it's a hideous spectacle of wasted talent, alienated players and dreadful football. Mick is no world-beater abd there are other options out there, but he would be greeted as a footballing saviour by most of our players and I suspect a growing number of supporters if he came back now.
    our group wasnt that easy. we did after all qualify as 3rd seeds. the only team to do so. we earned the right to get a weaker nation like estonia given we earned the right to be seeded in the play-off draw.

i made the point before that its basically the same 12 or 13 that qualify for the euros each time so we got 1 of the few places that the likes of us achieves from time to time. to qualify this time with the players we have was a very good achievement. we were in the hardest group by far and this difficult task was made worse by our dreadful first 10 mins against croatia. trap has done a great job with us.

IF trap was to go we wouldnt deserve Mick back. He was treated apallingly by the media 90% of his time in charge and the way the "fans" turned on him at the end was a disgrace. now he we are claiming he would be greated at a "footballing saviour"??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    A narrow yes for me.

He deserves another campaign in charge, this team was the worst squad of Irish players to make a finals tournament, but in that there is a positive, he got a poor team to qualify. (still think 02 qualification was greatest achievement).

I was a big fan of Trap upto the Euros. Dont like how we play but its a results business and by and large he got them and brought structure to our team. My big concern was how Russia murdered us in both games - i.e. no lessons were learned by Trap from the home game. And alas those lessons were still not learned this summer.

Change is needed. Formation or personell, certainly the latter and probably both. Problem areas are centre midfield, centre half, full back. I would like to see more younger players drafted in and given a chance - Gibson, Westwood, McClean, McCarthy, Long all merit more inclusion, others certainly are worth a closer look Clark, Coleman, Duffy. Hoolhan is unfortunately not likely to get a look given his style and age.

I would like to see Ireland go back to the way we played in the WC qualifiers. The friendly at the start of that campaign in Norway, the Mainz and Montenegro performances along with the Italy performances (and of course Paris) were games where we held our own in midfield. We certainly have missed a Steven Reid type player from those early days.

Finally I was worried to read the stories of discontent from certain players i.e. Gibson and more so Dunne. Not good if true but in Dunnes case, alot will be told from his decision to stay or not. Most journos have been predicting that he will stay. Another point to note is most inches devoted to the discontent were written by a certain Paul Rowan.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Without getting crazily ahead of ourselves - just should the situation take a decidedly bad turn for the worse.

I hope the FAI have the wit to discreetly suss out not only a suitable replacements availability, but also whether any potential candidates would have a committed and motivated interest in taking the job. A tall order given our current state of affairs.

I'm only being semi-serious but I'm sure many remember our last New Manager Odyssey??? Did we reach 50 names and 130 thread pages???

Anyway, what's Steve Coppell's speed dial?????
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26/06/2012 at 1:19 PM.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I hope the FAI have the wit to discreetly suss out not only a suitable replacements availability, but also whether any potential candidates would have a committed and motivated interest in taking the job. A tall order given our current state of affairs.
    really? are things that bad?? i dont think so at all. apart from the 12 or 13 big european teams id say our job would be quite interesting

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    really? are things that bad?? i dont think so at all. apart from the 12 or 13 big european teams id say our job would be quite interesting
    I think that could depend on the type of replacement we want and who wants us.

If we wanted a manager to effectively pick up tactically where Trapp left off, we'd be in good shape.

What we actually need is a complete overhaul tactically and a proper blooding of players not seen since the earliest days of Mick McCarthy's tenure.

That's a big task with a lot of potential strife in the short term. I still think this approach will benefit us in the long run.

It could be argued a new manager would revel in this clean slate but it will involve potentially writing off a World Cup campaign, unless the experimentation lead to immediate results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I was delighted to see Trap getting being appointed the Irish manager when I saw his CV.

But his performance in Euro 2012, and in many of the qualifiers, beggared belief. I knew he was conservative but to be so conservative as to not throw anything out of a sinking ship and see if it might stay afloat is crazy.

I think he tries to rule with an iron fist and it hasn't served Ireland well - Andy Reid, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson etc etc.

Yet he is contradictory too...he was practically begging Stephen Ireland to play at one stage when he did not want to play for his country and others who were desperate to play were shunned for minor steps outside the line.

He had no plan B in the Euros and stuck way too rigidly to 4-4-2 when it clearly was not working.

We were awful in many of the qualifiers and were very lucky at times too.

I think his luck has run out and the team's deficiencies were found out.
    I'm not so much annoyed that we lost all three games but it was the manner in which we lost and the lack of direction and focus that was really frustrating. I imagine many of the players feel the same too.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Fixer82 I'd agree with most of that to be honest, most of it said already, but constructed well in one post.

I think the contradictory point, was just Trap playing to the media. He is very astute, and its easy to flirt with someone when you know deep down that there is no chance of you getting anywhere. By entertaining the media for a few moments, he was keeping them on side. Thats all he was doing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    trap has done a great job with us

What would it take for you to question this judgement. We have just turned in the worst ever performance by a Euro finals qualifier. We disgraced ourselves and would appear to have alienated and demoralised a significant number of our most important players.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Some people just can't see certain things, and others just don't like to be wrong, and nearly all just cant admit to being wrong.

When it comes to Irish football personally, I love being wrong, because it generally means its for the benefit of the team
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    When it comes to Irish football personally, I love being wrong, because it generally means its for the benefit of the team
    So, even when you're wrong, you're right!!!

That's quite an elaborate web of bullsh*t you woven there, Paul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    What would it take for you to question this judgement. We have just turned in the worst ever performance by a Euro finals qualifier. We disgraced ourselves and would appear to have alienated and demoralised a significant number of our most important players.
    i supported through the days of stan and the darker days of micks reign. ive seen us far far lower than trap has us.

i am also a realist and realise that we were in the toughest finals group, we were the only finals country without players in the champions league and i know that players with LA Galaxy, wolves, fulham, leicester city, stoke, wba etc cant be expected to compete with the players spain and italy have. i also dont think that 2 or 3 of our senior players were fit.

i have problems with trap also but stans tenure put us back years but since then we were only cheated out of a wc finals and we qualified for the euros. not bad really

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I'm fed up of travelling long distances to watch a mediocre team. .
    :O Many of us here remember travelling long distances seeing good Irish teams losing. Give me Trap's unbeaten run away from home (the tournament aside) with a mediocre team any day of the year. Do you want not only not to be beaten away from home but also watch good football?

Trouble in the camp? Of course people will be unhappy if they don't get games. In club sides they ask for transfers. In international teams all they can do is pout or not play again. It's the nature of the beast. Wouldn't worry me too much.

Who would the people who want a new manager like to replace Trap. By and large every third manager improves things while the other two don't. In my years of following Sheff Wed, I have seen 26 new managers. 6 improved things. 20 didn't !! Since Mick, we had 2 who didn't and one who did although some would argue whether Trap has or hasn't improved things. Change does not necessarily mean improvement. It is a risk and I know nothing ventured, nothing gained but the gaps between championships are 4 years so we have to be sure the change is the correct one. I would prefer to stick with Trap because better the reasonably successful devil you know than the devil you don't
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    The problem I have with Trap going is the likely replacement.
    Chris Hughton would be my realistic first choice but that's not going to happen now. So who else is out there?
    I don't think Mick would come back and if he were to, would he be given a fair go by certain media & fans...
    I really fear seeing the Staunton days return with a cheap crap replacement

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast