Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 48.00%
  • No

39 52.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Depends on what happens in the Serbia game. If he shows a willingness to adapt his approach, then yes he should be given the chance to show he has something else to offer in bringing us forward. If its more of the same, perhaps it's time to more on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    That to me suggests Wolfie that Trap has instilled a belief that "well ye aren't good enough, so i mould ye into this system", and when that didnt work that they simply believed, because of their trust and belief in Trap, they weren't good enough.
    Yep - I think this has happened to some of the players, whether on subconscious level or otherwise. A few years of conditioning to a system can have strange behavioural manifestations.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if trap gets us to Brazil it will most likely be by way of finishing 2nd in a difficult group and then through a play off with us probably unseeded and getting a difficult draw. If he can negotiate that with the squad we have then he deserves a further two years if he wants.

how could we disgard a manager who had been denied a wc qualification only through cheating, qualifying for the euros and 2014 wc in his 3 campaigns??
    I think I'd be worried about his age, he'll be 75 at Brazil 2014, so would be 77 at Euro 2016 in France. I dont want to sound ageist but I'd worry over his health at that age. Even if he gets us to 2014, I think post Brazil would be the sensible time for a change over. If we did make it to Brazil we would probably be a pot 2 team for Euro 16 qualification. In all probability the top two teams in each qualification group will go through and then the 3rd place team in each group will go to a playoff. I would hope the new manager would be able to get us to at least 3rd, so Euro 16 would be an attainable target for him (whereas the Russia WC in 2018 could be too tricky).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Voted yes - there doesn't seem to be any outstanding alternative available at the moment, and with the spate of expected retirements - Given, Duff, Dunne, Keane at least, Trap will have no option but to blood Coleman, McClean, Hoolahan, McCarthy, not to mention more prominent roles for Long and Walters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Simple question .... Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

I’d prefer if he was to resign. He won’t be sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Question I have to ask myself is; Did Trap get the best out of the talent pool available to him ? We were fortunate to get to the finals and badly exposed when there, so I'd have to say no - that's not the best we could have done.

No for me.
    He did not get the best. He made us hard to beat which was important and achieved in the first two years. Having achieved that, while qualification was obviously hugely important and to be applauded, we had to develop the team as well. We’ve been badly exposed and embarrassed at a major finals.

if trap gets us to Brazil it will most likely be by way of finishing 2nd in a difficult group and then through a play off with us probably unseeded and getting a difficult draw. If he can negotiate that with the squad we have then he deserves a further two years if he wants.

how could we disgard a manager who had been denied a wc qualification only through cheating, qualifying for the euros and 2014 wc in his 3 campaigns??

I think Germany, Sweden and Austria will take points off each other. The next team can take advantage and that could be us. Germany will be clear favourites but I don’t take it as entirely going that way. After all is said and done though 2nd appears mostly likely place for qualification, though it might not be enough with one to miss out on a play-off place.

We can’t disgard a manager, only hope he might resign. There’s nothing to suggest he can progress the team further from what he has achieved already.

Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I voted yes, but not with any real conviction. I don't see any alternatives to him at the moment, and I dont think it would be worth sacking him given the pay-off we would have to give him.

I'd say its 50-50 if we'll finish second in the 2014 group or not. First is out of the question (the Germans will breeze it) so it's between us, Sweden and Austria for the second place. Even with us under Trap I think those teams will struggle to better us over the home and away matches (we'll probably win home and lose away). Once 2014 happens I'd move on to another manager irrespective of if Trap gets us there or not.

There seems to be a small group of supporters who see Mick as an option for a return. Only manager to have Ireland actually play football at a major finals. He’ll have come on a lot as a manager in the last 10 years. I for one would like to see a return. He said when he left he would look to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    That to me suggests Wolfie that Trap has instilled a belief that "well ye aren't good enough, so i mould ye into this system", and when that didnt work that they simply believed, because of their trust and belief in Trap, they weren't good enough.
    He instilled a good belief in the team to be hard to beat. He hasn’t progressed the team from there and it does seem he has instilled the attitude of not being able to progress more. A manager is needed to build on what Trap has done.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I am of the opinion that international team managers should only stay for one 4 year cycle so then in that case he should bow out now and get somebody fresh in. As we all know Jack stayed on a bit too long, as did Mick who should have left after the WC 2002. The other team I watch, USA has also waited too long in the past before changing managers e.g. Bruce Arena did great in 2002 but the team had become stale by 2006, like wise Bob Bradley who took over from him after that WC, did well-ish in 2010 but should have left then. He stayed on too long and the team fared badly in last year's Gold Cup. International team management is a different kettle of fish to club management. Your player pool is limited and you don't have much time with the players. So you become used to the players and trust them thus making it more difficult to implement/trust new players when they come along.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I think I'd be worried about his age, he'll be 75 at Brazil 2014, so would be 77 at Euro 2016 in France. I dont want to sound ageist but I'd worry over his health at that age. Even if he gets us to 2014, I think post Brazil would be the sensible time for a change over.
    i dont disagree that a change after Brazil (maybe even now) would be a good idea for various reasons. however, people calling for him to go based on our euro 2012 finals performances are wrong imo. just qualifying is a massive achievment no matter what people say. 14 teams actually qualified for euro 2012. of these 11 qualified for all the last three finals at least and pretty much always do so. add england and denmark to that who only failed to appear in 2008 and that leaves 1 or 2 places each time for the likes of us. i am not sure what we all expected really given the quality of our squad.

yes, the performances were disappointing but with a few things going our way a little better the tournament dould have been a lot more satisfying than it was. i dont believe 2 or 3 of our main players were fit, the nervous shaky first 10 mins and concession of an early goal to croatia set an unfortunate tone and who knows how that match would have ended if robbie had been awarded the stone wall pen. we were always up against it in such a hard group and so badly needed a good start in the Croatia match.
    Last edited by jbyrne; 21/06/2012 at 3:21 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Voted yes - there doesn't seem to be any outstanding alternative available at the moment, and with the spate of expected retirements - Given, Duff, Dunne, Keane at least, Trap will have no option but to blood Coleman, McClean, Hoolahan, McCarthy, not to mention more prominent roles for Long and Walters.
    Of the six players you mentioned five of them are in the attacking 4 slots. When our current attacking 4 slots were left all adrift because of the woeful control and distribution from our fullbacks and deep lying midfielders what difference exactly do you think those changes would make? SFA is the answer because its laughable to claim creation in the final third is anything near the head of our list of problems.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    yes, the performances were disappointing but with a few things going our way a little better the tournament dould have been a lot more satisfying than it was. i dont believe 2 or 3 of our main players were fit, the nervous shaky first 10 mins and concession of an early goal to croatia set an unfortunate tone and who knows how that match would have ended if robbie had been awarded the stone wall pen. we were always up against it in such a hard group and so badly needed a good start in the Croatia match.
    I don't think that's the full picture but it's very definitely part of the picture.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I don't agree with all his decisions but if we fire the manager that brought us to our first major tourno in years theres something wrong.

Hopefully he can adapt to new a rejuvanated squad with a better philosophy. I won't be holding my breath though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Stick for now. It's a tough group and a big ask to qualify, particularly since we're looking at a new era in terms of the team (newish players, possible new system). Allow Trap the opportunity to solidify the team, aim to actually win some games against a big side for a change and say goodbye after the campaign.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The Vote is 50/50 at the moment but the comments seem to suggest the majority are reluctantly going for a YES vote. Better the Devil you know and all that.

I am in this category. Trap is a proud man, this tournament performance (or lack of) will have hurt him deeply (perhaps more than any other footballing disappointment?), he will want to prove (once again) that he knows his stuff, if only to the doubting Irish Public. I think he has given enough hints at making changes now coupled with the poor show I think it will happen. The most exciting change for me is the introduction of McCarthy who I truly believe will be the real deal for us. His last 10 performances or so in particular for Wigan last season he looked fabulous. The likes of McClean, Coleman, Clark etc.etc.. whilst nice options, for me, they have a lot of football to play before I will get too excited about them being introduced/making a real difference. If Gibson can kick on from his last season at Everton I think he will soon enough become a first choice CM (if not from the start of the campaign). Those two changes alone will make a significant positive change to the team. I wont repeat all the other shortcomings that need to be addressed, we all know what they are.

So with all that, I vote YES and hope we see good start in the Serbia Friendly and WCQ's - We certainly have no excuse for a tournament hangover.
    Last edited by Junior; 21/06/2012 at 5:09 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Whilst acknowledging Trap's system got us through two qualification groups and to a finals, I voted 'yes' on the basis that Trap appears open to adapting it in consideration of the wider pool of players available to us. He spoke of considering the likes of Hoolahan for the forthcoming campaign which would imply his openness to some form of change. The system proved effective in grinding out results in places where we'd have faltered in the past, but it has been exposed as outmoded and ineffective when we've come up against technically-able sides who can simply pass the ball around us; Russia, Croatia, Spain...

Trap has also stated his willingness to utilise our talented up-and-coming players to a greater degree. He's spoken of the likes of McCarthy and McClean as being the future. I'm looking forward to seeing how he implements these changes and players on a regular basis. I have faith in his managerial ability and perception to have noticed the limitations of the system he's been using to date.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Signora Trap: Welcome home Gio. I missed you. I'm looking forward to having you around more often.
    Trap: Well I'm back to work in a few weeks. We've a game against Serbia in August.
    Signora Trap: What, they didn't sack you after that? How come?
    Trap: I told them that they hadn't qualified for 24 years and that I'd try out a few of their favourite players next time out.
    Signora Trap: And they believed you?
    Trap: Yep, (singing) we're in the money, we're in the money...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Signora Trap: Welcome home Gio. I missed you. I'm looking forward to having you around more often.
    Trap: Well I'm back to work in a few weeks. We've a game against Serbia in August.
    Trap: I told them that they hadn't qualified for 24 years and that I'd try out a few of their favourite players next time out.
    i think this is a little unfair to trap. i am pretty sure the last 2 weeks have hurt him badly and i firmly believe he will be thinking long and hard over the summer how things can be improved. thats my honest opinion

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    And we had players like Ian Harte and Stan past their primes.
    Harte was 24. He must of peaked early.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Harte was 24. He must have peaked early.
    This is something that gets me.
    I know it's your undoubted Dubliness, but come on.

Good spot re Hartey though.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    This is something that gets me.
    I know it's your undoubted Dubliness, but come on.

Good spot re Hartey though.
    No worries bud, I didn't bleedin know that yisser couldn't say that so I just thrun it in , but nice one for learnin me inanyways

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    low blow dude, I expected better from you
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Let's face reality, Trap is staying and there will be on change to the gameplan. All we can expect is some change in personnel due to retirements..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast