Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 48.00%
  • No

39 52.00%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Question Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?

Simple question .... Should Trapattoni manage Ireland for the 2014 World Cup Campaign?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Abstaining for now. Can see the cons and pros. But inclined towards the former currently.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The former what? he never said yes or no in the question...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Voted no, but not sure we would make Brazil with Jose Mourinho in charge, TBH.
    Germany is going to win our group and Ibrahimovic is going to have a field day with us.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The former what? he never said yes or no in the question...
    You might need to re-read the poll options...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Question I have to ask myself is; Did Trap get the best out of the talent pool available to him ? We were fortunate to get to the finals and badly exposed when there, so I'd have to say no - that's not the best we could have done.

No for me.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I voted yes, but not with any real conviction. I don't see any alternatives to him at the moment, and I dont think it would be worth sacking him given the pay-off we would have to give him.

I'd say its 50-50 if we'll finish second in the 2014 group or not. First is out of the question (the Germans will breeze it) so it's between us, Sweden and Austria for the second place. Even with us under Trap I think those teams will struggle to better us over the home and away matches (we'll probably win home and lose away). Once 2014 happens I'd move on to another manager irrespective of if Trap gets us there or not.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Once 2014 happens I'd move on to another manager irrespective of if Trap gets us there or not.
    if trap gets us to Brazil it will most likely be by way of finishing 2nd in a difficult group and then through a play off with us probably unseeded and getting a difficult draw. If he can negotiate that with the squad we have then he deserves a further two years if he wants.

how could we disgard a manager who had been denied a wc qualification only through cheating, qualifying for the euros and 2014 wc in his 3 campaigns??

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Marginally yes for me.

But he's got to follow up his words from Tuesday's press conference with actions

Trust the players more
    Refresh two or three of the starting eleven
    Refresh five or six squad places
    Devise a contemporary shape that gets the best out of our players, doesn't leave them overrun and doesn't depend on being cagey
    Get rid of the stupid miscommunications with players (FAI to take the lead here)
    Watch and talk to the players more between international games
    Manage with at least half an eye on Euro 2016
    Remove Keane's captaincy - it makes him undroppable

Hmm, maybe that should be a "no" then.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    We have a core of dreadful players in our 7 defensive players with very little in terms of alternative options, this was highlighted in abundance during the Euros and shows what an incredible job Trap did to take such poor players to a major championship.

Must admit that I genuinely think higher of trap after these Euros then before. I was previously of the opinion that we had the players to be good enough to make these championships but we clearly don't. To get us there and have us 18 in the world with some of the worst players ever seen in a Euros is an incredible feat that few other managers would accomplish.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 21/06/2012 at 12:20 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    In many posters eyes, I've a naive, idealistic view of this. A bit like Gerry Maguire's Mission Statement.

We need someone with a fresh outlook on this team and the possibilities of who should be playing and our style of play.

We all know the names of who should be involved, so I'll spare you the "roll the credits" list of untried / discarded players.

I'm not advocating a knee jerk, kamakzee-style tactics along the lines of Cyprus 5 Ireland 2.

Simply a Manager who is willing to incorporate a spirit of "What if" from time to time.

It's in everyones interests that the team embarks on the road to playing a more progressive, creative style of play. They don't have to be the footballing equivalent to the Harlem Globe Trotters - just the ability to pass comfortably, find a player, keep the ball. First principals!!!

Minor change and the unlikely event of qualifying for 2014 only repeats the situation we found ourselves in this Summer. You have to play when you get there.

I'd suggest taking the pain now in order to hopefully be in a much stronger position for 2016.

Experiment with different personnel, pairings, formations - we could lose in the short term but the longer term gains are huge.

What struck me about the players in interviews was how many simply accepted they were "beaten by a better team". As if the inevitable happened.

We need someone to re-introduce "What if" ??

All together now, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one............"
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Voted no. A mediocre manager like Mick McCarthy got an Irish team missing its only world class player into the last 16 of the World Cup. Team did not lose a match in normal time against sides like Germany, Spain, Cameroon and Saudi. And we had players like Ian Harte and Stan past their primes. Our central midfield was Kinsella and Holland. Trap is not going to change (or more importantly make the changes that need to be made). There will be more run ins with players. He might change one or two players max against Serbia. Then for the qualifyers he will revert back to basically the squad he brought to Poland barring retirements. Given will play. Whelan will play. Keane will play. Cox will come on. There will be no place for McClean, McCarthy or whoever.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 21/06/2012 at 1:07 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That to me suggests Wolfie that Trap has instilled a belief that "well ye aren't good enough, so i mould ye into this system", and when that didnt work that they simply believed, because of their trust and belief in Trap, they weren't good enough.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

18. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    What struck me about the players in interviews was how many simply accepted they were "beaten by a better team". As if the inevitable happened.
    They are only saying what happened on the pitch? They can't hardly say they thought we were the better team. What were they supposed to say? Attack the manager or the system? Fast way to end a career.

Like most of the yes votes, I too am a marginal yes. I don't give two hoots about the style of play. I just want winning football. I think you have a better chance of that if you pick your best side which I don't think he does. His most irritating trait to me is that he decides what his best players are and that's that.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    As if the inevitable happened.
    But it did

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I've voted yes. Trap is a great manager and brings fantastic organisation and discipline to the team in my opinion. That said, his selections and tactics have been poor. However, I do have faith in him to rectify this - we are talking about a wildly successful manager - he didn't win all those trophies by conceding possession the way Ireland do. He didn't do it by picking inferior players.

I still believe that he will see the light and select those players who can make us that bit better. We'll never be world beaters but we can be better than we have shown in the Euros.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    They are only saying what happened on the pitch? They can't hardly say they thought we were the better team. What were they supposed to say? Attack the manager or the system? Fast way to end a career.
    It just struck me that there was no conviction or belief that they were ever going to get a result. Irish teams of the past never counselled defeat in this way.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    i went for no - i think he's taken us as far as he can, which is quite far given the state we were in before he came on board.

i appreciate that he has a great record but club and international management are very different. he had access to a better quality of player at club level relevant to the opposition he was facing. if he sticks with the tried and tested formula i can still see us fighting for the runner's up spot in the WC group, maybe even qualifying - sweden are no great shakes.

but we'll but overrun just as we were in the euros against a decent opposition that needs a win.

hopefully though he'll change things around and introduce a plan B...

as for alternatives - big mick isn't busy.
    Last edited by zero; 21/06/2012 at 1:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Voted yes , he got us to the Euros and I think that he will make the changes that a lot of people are demanding, Sure the finals were disappointing but we were in a tough group IMO.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But it did
    OK, Spain - fair enough.

Ireland with more endeavour and a bit of conviction in what they were doing would have caused Croatia and Italy a lot more problems than we did.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast