Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Mons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Licencing will fail.
    A club is gone. I think the 'will' bit is a bit optimistic.

It was for main sponsor and ground sponsor apparently

Could be wrong of course
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Personally the main problem I have is that it doesn't seem to me that everything was attempted to save the club. Fair enough local creditors were not burned but extra financial pressure has been heaped on the other Premier clubs and, in turn, their local creditors. From the outside looking in it seems that Mons gave up too easily, that they looked at the problems, deemed them insurmountable and gave up. I get no impression that every effort, no matter how ridiculous, was made to save the club.

For example, off the top of my head:

Cost Cutting Taken as a given, players allowed to leave, amateurs brought in on expenses or whatever.

Fund Raising 1. There have been collections for other clubs in Turners' Cross in the past and I'm sure in other grounds too. I've bought a Harps prize draw ticket before, were efforts made to fundraise from opposition fans? Granted it wouldn't raise much but it'd be something
    2. Assuming they could convince Roddy to stay on, a "Relegate Roddy" fundraiser could have been launched for everyone who'd like to see him go down with the ship for once. A shamefaced gimmick but I'd say it'd get a few bob.

Crowds Not getting them in Monaghan so ... get them elsewhere. Turners' Cross, Tallaght Stadium, The Brandywell are stadia that are not owned by the clubs playing in them. Therefore it may have been possible to cede home advantage against the relevant teams and get much higher gate receipts. Hell, Tallaght could have become a "home" ground against the other Dublin clubs when available. Not an easy thing to organize but many a goalpost could have been shifted in a crisis situation.

Sponsor Less than two thirds of a season to go and with reduced bills a desperate play for a few grand to see them through should have yielded something. 1. Obviously no business saw enough value to a sponsorship deal so Mons would have needed to add value, e.g. With no budget and amateur/youth players Mon's would have done a Galway on it. In fact they'd be a sure bet to go down, fans all over the league may have been interested in betting on how much their team would have beaten Mons by. A quirky ready made advertising campaign for bookies I would have thought.
    2. Auction it on eBay (with a reasonable reserve price). Quirky auctions can make it to the national and international media. "'We don't care what logo is on our shirts as long as it is Family Friendly", said a club spokesperson, " it could be a business, a romantic gesture to a loved one or even opposition fans telling us we're rubbish.'"

Yes I know that some of these ideas are crazy and some wouldn't work. Some might have worked but not raised/saved enough. But they represent the last ditch that Mons seem to have refused to even look into.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I like what you've put forward Derm, they're ideas that are not too far fetched with realistic chances of achievement. I don't know if Mons would have become whipping boys with amateur players, the coaching stability (for what it was) would have been much better. One thing to address is the coaching staff and their wages, was Roddy prepared to do it for 50quid a week? I don't believe he would have, but who knows.

The idea of playing home games elsewhere is interesting, just glad you didn't throw Dundalk into the mix :-)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I doubt the FAI would allow you to cede home advantage like that on a regular basis.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Yeah. There'd be a potential issue of some teams having more home games than others, an unfair advantage in a title race for example.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I doubt the FAI would allow you to cede home advantage like that on a regular basis.
    They let Rovers do it a few years ago. They played home games in Turner's Cross and Belfield Park and possibly other places when they couldn't pay the rent for Tolka.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    2005 First Division Table. Six clubs gone and Dundalk could make it seven.

1 Sligo Rovers 36 15 16 5 45 27 +18 61
    2 Dublin City 36 15 14 7 57 34 +23 59
    3 Cobh Ramblers 36 15 11 10 49 40 +9 56
    4 Kilkenny City 36 15 8 13 46 35 +11 53
    5 Galway United 36 14 11 11 46 43 +3 53
    6 Dundalk 36 12 13 11 44 40 +4 49
    7 Limerick 36 13 9 14 44 49 -5 48
    8 Kildare County 36 10 11 15 33 42 -9 41
    9 Monaghan United 36 9 9 18 36 66 -30 36
    10 Athlone Town 36 6 10 20 28 52 -24 28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derm View Post
    Personally the main problem I have is that it doesn't seem to me that everything was attempted to save the club. Fair enough local creditors were not burned but extra financial pressure has been heaped on the other Premier clubs and, in turn, their local creditors. From the outside looking in it seems that Mons gave up too easily, that they looked at the problems, deemed them insurmountable and gave up. I get no impression that every effort, no matter how ridiculous, was made to save the club.

For example, off the top of my head:

Cost Cutting Taken as a given, players allowed to leave, amateurs brought in on expenses or whatever.

Fund Raising 1. There have been collections for other clubs in Turners' Cross in the past and I'm sure in other grounds too. I've bought a Harps prize draw ticket before, were efforts made to fundraise from opposition fans? Granted it wouldn't raise much but it'd be something
    2. Assuming they could convince Roddy to stay on, a "Relegate Roddy" fundraiser could have been launched for everyone who'd like to see him go down with the ship for once. A shamefaced gimmick but I'd say it'd get a few bob.

Crowds Not getting them in Monaghan so ... get them elsewhere. Turners' Cross, Tallaght Stadium, The Brandywell are stadia that are not owned by the clubs playing in them. Therefore it may have been possible to cede home advantage against the relevant teams and get much higher gate receipts. Hell, Tallaght could have become a "home" ground against the other Dublin clubs when available. Not an easy thing to organize but many a goalpost could have been shifted in a crisis situation.

Sponsor Less than two thirds of a season to go and with reduced bills a desperate play for a few grand to see them through should have yielded something. 1. Obviously no business saw enough value to a sponsorship deal so Mons would have needed to add value, e.g. With no budget and amateur/youth players Mon's would have done a Galway on it. In fact they'd be a sure bet to go down, fans all over the league may have been interested in betting on how much their team would have beaten Mons by. A quirky ready made advertising campaign for bookies I would have thought.
    2. Auction it on eBay (with a reasonable reserve price). Quirky auctions can make it to the national and international media. "'We don't care what logo is on our shirts as long as it is Family Friendly", said a club spokesperson, " it could be a business, a romantic gesture to a loved one or even opposition fans telling us we're rubbish.'"

Yes I know that some of these ideas are crazy and some wouldn't work. Some might have worked but not raised/saved enough. But they represent the last ditch that Mons seem to have refused to even look into.
    Not 100% sure but I believe the club was not registered as a Limited liability company. Could this have resulted in Directors having a personal responsibility for losses ? That would certainly result in prompt decision making.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819