Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just make sure you don't say he's faking the Souness role.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    My favourite topic but I couldn't resist thanking Noel King for describing it exactly like it is, a "comedy show".

Interesting that both he and Dunphy thought "football people" were on their side. Dunphy repeatedly uses this term to create an inner circle of experts whose pronouncements carry far more weight than those of anyone else. Because he uses the term it is assumed that he belongs to this group, whereas he really doesn't. Dunphy is an OAP with no involvement as player or coach for the past 30 years and no managerial experience whatever. As a friend of mine said, it's like some old codger in a pub telling you that Lugs Branigan would know how to deal with those young thugs (presumably on the basis that in any conflict a clip on the ear is more useful than a Glock). Football has moved on and tactical systems are more varied and flexible. Players are fitter and with the advent of huge money their mindset is not the same.

Interesting article here on Dunphy's handling of the Irish managers. The trouble is he hasn't mentioned that Giles and O'Herlihy have backed his onslaughts all the way. http://balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-irish-managers/
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 17/10/2013 at 6:44 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Of which inner circle or community of "football people" is Dunphy supposed to be a member? Who exactly is he referring to when he talks about himself and these "real football people"? The Kilcoyne family? As you point out, he has no formal or significant association with any people genuinely involved in Irish football, be that domestic or international, these days.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I assume by "real football people" who means scholars of Spanish football like himself.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The key attributes required of whoever replaces Bill will be:

(1) know nothing about the game and remind everyone of this every five minutes.
    (2) never played the game at any level
    (3) let the lads free reign to indulge every possible agenda and axe they have to grind.
    (4) allow them play the man and not the ball
    (5) be friends with the panel and most of all, never ever contradict them - always agree with them.
    (6) finally always make sure Giles and Dunphy outnumber and shout down any dissenting viewpoint - since the majority opinion is always the right one, even when its the wrong one.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't see Dunphy as a bully, he's an out and out coward.
    It's sad to see that Giles is just as bad as Dunphy, he's lost it completely and sunk into mediocrity alongside Dunphy. He hasn't got the "moral courage" to pull Dunphy back from his extreme censorious rants, nor concede even a little bit afterwards, to have a minimal degree of honesty, a self critical perspective of what went down in the studio.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Didn't the tactically clueless Noel King 's side beat Italy's u21s (European finalists) 4-2 in Italy prompting Arrigo Sacchi to go into Ireland's dressing room to applaud the performance?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't the tactically clueless Noel King 's side beat Italy's u21s (European finalists) 4-2 in Italy prompting Arrigo Sacchi to go into Ireland's dressing room to applaud the performance?
    With 9 men too. The man is so tactically inept he played two fewer players than the other team and still lucked his way to victory. He's a show-pony, Bill. John was a better player than I ever was and he agrees with me.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Interesting article here on Dunphy's handling of the Irish managers. The trouble is he hasn't mentioned that Giles and O'Herlihy have backed his onslaughts all the way. http://balls.ie/football/eamon-dunphy-irish-managers/
    Long, long past time that Dunphy was called on his bull****, I'd like to see the papers do it more often. Not to say he hasn't had a point at some periods, but he is more often than not hysterical, irrational and downright nasty. It was particularly rich to hear him describe Noel King as nasty and a bully on Tuesday(not a fan of King either, and he did himself no favours with his reaction after the match.)

It's Dunphys hypocrisy that probably his most nauseating feature though. He lauded CHarlton and Trappatoni at first, I also remember him describing Brian Kerr as "Irelands first "proper" coach in 20 years after his first game in charge. His most breathtaking example though is his latest, in supporting the return of Mick McCarthy, who he has savaged on many, many occasions over the years, even way before Saipan.

Just found this too - written about Liam Brady, in the aftermath of a game against Holland in the early 80's I believe

“He is often looked on as a great player. He is nothing of the kind. His performance on Wednesday was a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of his gait.”

Just remember that the next time he says "John and Liam were great players."
    Last edited by TonyD; 17/10/2013 at 9:33 PM. Reason: additiions
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    With 9 men too. The man is so tactically inept he played two fewer players than the other team and still lucked his way to victory. He's a show-pony, Bill. John was a better player than I ever was and he agrees with me.
    "King just does not respect our fantastic football culture."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Just make sure you don't say he's faking the Souness role.
    Or the holdimg Souness role...

MATRON!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Or the holdimg Souness role...

MATRON!
    Matron?
    where you are, where time is an optional concept, it's probably Nurse Ratched you should be calling for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    "King just does not respect our fantastic football culture."
    id love to know what constitutes this "fantastic football culture" that dunphy continually brings up seeing as he has not rated any of our managers since i can remember (mid 80s!)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    id love to know what constitutes this "fantastic football culture" that dunphy continually brings up seeing as he has not rated any of our managers since i can remember (mid 80s!)
    Playing Poland is a big part of our football culture.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I was thinking last night and someone please correct my memory. But didnt the panel used to do actual analysis, with their white markings on the screen explaining what they believe was the right thing to do etc? Now it's just grumbling the same rhetoric every single match. It's actually just boring to be honest

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    The FAI should appoint Dunphy as caretaker for the 2 November friendlies. Sadlier as assistant. He could donate his fee to charity. The home game will be a sell out just for curiosity purposes. RTE should get Jack, Stan, Mick, Kerr and King on the panel. And Owls Fan.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Giles still deserves iconic status for his remark years ago about Marco Simoni(?). It was before anything other than black boots was popular. Simoni was playing for Milan in Europe, wearing their all white away kit and he also wore white boots. "He looks like he's making his holy communion George".

24. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    The FAI should appoint Dunphy as caretaker for the 2 November friendlies. Sadlier as assistant. He could donate his fee to charity. The home game will be a sell out just for curiosity purposes. RTE should get Jack, Stan, Mick, Kerr and King on the panel. And Owls Fan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HOt0ZOcYk
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I'm assuming The Trap is hosting? He would be as coherent as laughing Bill
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast