Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Will you quit with your Trap apologism? The man dug his own grave with a gradually increasing litany of mindbogglingly asinine tactical decisions, stagnancy, stubbornness, antagonism towards the media and lack of respect towards his own players. He didn't need anybody to dig his grave for him.

Take things on their merits. Staunton and Trapattoni had to go, things weren't working out with McCarthy and Kerr - maybe - deserved more time.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Funny, I didn't see the doc in this thread.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Have to say impressed with Glen Hoddle on ITV, very good viewing, while Kilbane with BBC was dour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,325 Posts
    Sadlier VS Cunningham on the x-rated tackle in the French - Nigeria game was brilliant TV. RTE at its finest.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Brad Friedel was a fantastic addition to the panel this evening. He makes some very interesting points which others aren't capable of making and is clearly a deep thinker. Makes his points in a simple and under-stated manner. He does sound a tad monotonous after a while but still enjoyed him overall.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He seemed very perceptive and insightful any time I saw him on the BBC. Was impressed by him. I thought the others (Hansen and gang) appeared out of their depth exchanging points next to him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He seemed very perceptive and insightful any time I saw him on the BBC. Was impressed by him. I thought the others (Hansen and gang) appeared out of their depth exchanging points next to him.
    Amazing what a bit of research and spending time following the modern game can do. Guys like Friedel, Cunningham, Kerr can talk rings around most of the established pundits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,325 Posts
    I lost all interest in listening to Kerr talk about the Irish team a long time ago, but he's been excellent commentating on games as neutral observer
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Brian really hasn't gotten over his treatment from the FAI, which is a real shame because he has so much to give and it's clear from his commentary just what an excellent student of the game he is. Unfortunately I can't see him working with the FAI unless a lot of the current members move out of the game. I'd love to see him become involved in LOI football again, but obviously having managed international teams he'd be looking for a job that can meet his ability.

12. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Will you quit with your Trap apologism? The man dug his own grave with a gradually increasing litany of mindbogglingly asinine tactical decisions, stagnancy, stubbornness, antagonism towards the media and lack of respect towards his own players. He didn't need anybody to dig his grave for him.

Take things on their merits. Staunton and Trapattoni had to go, things weren't working out with McCarthy and Kerr - maybe - deserved more time.
    Hand (1980–85) Charlton (1986–95) McCarthy (1996–2002), Kerr (2003–05), Staunton (2006–07),Trapattoni (2008–13) and King (2013**)

Everyone one of those has got it in the neck from Messrs O'H, Giles and Dunphy. Some deserved it more than others but the fact is (change the broken record some say) until Brady appeared defending Trap, there was no dissenting voice on the Panel. THAT is the issue I have always had with the RTE Panel. Whenever RTE had a debate on any other issue, politics, social matters etc, there were always people who represented both sides. The football Panel never followed that. The only serious divergence of opinion came in the Saipan affair but they kissed and made up shortly afterwards.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Sadlier VS Cunningham on the x-rated tackle in the French - Nigeria game was brilliant TV. RTE at its finest.

Poor Ronnie was way out of his depth.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Hand (1980–85) Charlton (1986–95) McCarthy (1996–2002), Kerr (2003–05), Staunton (2006–07),Trapattoni (2008–13) and King (2013**)

Everyone one of those has got it in the neck from Messrs O'H, Giles and Dunphy. Some deserved it more than others but the fact is (change the broken record some say) until Brady appeared defending Trap, there was no dissenting voice on the Panel. THAT is the issue I have always had with the RTE Panel. Whenever RTE had a debate on any other issue, politics, social matters etc, there were always people who represented both sides. The football Panel never followed that. The only serious divergence of opinion came in the Saipan affair but they kissed and made up shortly afterwards.
    but sure dunphy now claims he got it wrong about mick mccarthy. not like dunphy to change his mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

Poor Ronnie was way out of his depth.

Ronnie is always outta his depth. As I said, when Sadlier talks properly and isn't overly negative he is a great panellist. Cuningham as well.

Whelan needs to be put out to pasture. He's a moron.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think RTE deserve a bit of credit for the younger panellists they've brought in. I know Sadlier has been around a long time, but Cunningham has been a real find and Irwin was always good when he was on, plus obviously Didi. Darragh Maloney has really grown into the role of presenter too and has resisted the temptation to become a Billo clone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Cunningham has been floating about a while.

I love him on LOI stuff because it just shows how into football EVERYWHERE he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Oh I didn't mean he was a greenhorn, I just meant it was good succession planning by RTE to bring through somebody who wouldn't have been an obvious candidate for punditry work but has been brilliant. I think Stuey Byrne has improved an awful lot in the past year too on the LOI side.

Bang on about Cunningham on LOI stuff though. It's obviously not his #1 love, but when he's on the LOI shows he makes it his business to do his research and know what he's talking about, which is in marked contrast to some of his peers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Oh I didn't mean he was a greenhorn, I just meant it was good succession planning by RTE to bring through somebody who wouldn't have been an obvious candidate for punditry work but has been brilliant. I think Stuey Byrne has improved an awful lot in the past year too on the LOI side.

Bang on about Cunningham on LOI stuff though. It's obviously not his #1 love, but when he's on the LOI shows he makes it his business to do his research and know what he's talking about, which is in marked contrast to some of his peers.
    So it's agreed. One candy and one caramel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You've been in America too long. You're even talking like them now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You've been in America too long. You're even talking like them now.
    Ahem...

Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast