Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I almost coughed my Pinot Noir all over the mother in law on Saturday night when I heard Brendan O'COnnor interviewing Laughing Bill who when asked should Trapp be sacked said "I know I am supposed to be neutral but.....". You haven't been neutral about any manager Bill since Dunphy joined the show.
    I watched the repeat last night. I nearly put my fist through the TV.
    I don't know which was worse, Bill & O'Connor's whole 'isn't being from Cork great' 'Fine Gael are just brilliant' or 'Roy Keane is God' ****e!!

2. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Just to add balance to this stat, Long has started a total of two competitive games for Ireland (he has started just one competitive game under Trapattoni). Out of 31 caps, he has 8 goals.
    Yes, stats can be manipulated just about any old way. I say he has scored 1 competitive goal, you say he's only started two competitive games. But if you add up all the minutes he's had on the pitch in competitive games, I wonder what does that add up to? I don't think any or at least very few Irish fans have anything negative to say about Long. He's just the media's latest stick to beat Trapp with. I wouldn't select him ahead of either Keane or Walters but I can understand why others might. However, it's not as cut and dried as a few recent goals in the EPL might make out.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Westwood is to continue with launching missiles, then hulk Walters would be favored over Long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    I watched the repeat last night. I nearly put my fist through the TV.
    I don't know which was worse, Bill & O'Connor's whole 'isn't being from Cork great' 'Fine Gael are just brilliant' or 'Roy Keane is God' ****e!!
    Yes, would you believe that they went back to Saipan as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    But if you add up all the minutes he's had on the pitch in competitive games, I wonder what does that add up to?
    Google has all the answers.

Long has 341 minutes over 10 competitive appearances. This gives him an average of 34.1 minutes on the pitch for each competitive cap he has under Trapattoni.

In comparison, Simon Cox has 503 minutes of competitive action (0 goals) spread over 12 competitive caps. An average of 41.9 minutes per competitive cap.

Jon Walters has 439 minutes (2 goals (Estonia, Faroes)) spread over 8 competitive caps. An average of 54.9 minutes per competitive cap.

We have played a total of 2,700 minutes of competitive football under Trapattoni (disregarding injury time and extratime in Paris). Using this;
    Long has played 12.6% of all competitive minutes under Trapattoni,
    Cox has played 18.6%, and
    Walters has played 16.3%.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yes, would you believe that they went back to Saipan as well.
    For a fella who hates the panel, you seem to spend a lot of time watching them and wherever they pop-up!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    For a fella who hates the panel, you seem to spend a lot of time watching them and wherever they pop-up!
    No choice this time. Was visiting the in-laws and that's what they were watching. Mind you, my father in-law is a staunch Fianna Failer so the love in about Fine Gael was going down like a lead balloon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Dunphy is slating Man City saying they are brutal. He said they only won the league because they can get away with being a poor team when playing against clubs like Swansea who will just give the ball straight back to them. It wasn't even 6 months ago that auld Eamo was showing clips of Swansea playing before Ireland matches and saying that's how we should be playing

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did he use Swansea as an example? Otherwise I think he's basically right. I think City (and United) benefit from teams basically writing the game off and concentrating on more important fixtures. In the Champions League, every game is a huge game and teams will be going out with the belief they can win.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Ye he named Swansea and Fulham I think. Darragh gave out to him for calling Mancini a clown as well

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Those were some odd examples to pick. Fulham are playing some lovely stuff with fairly limited footballers under Jol. I'd say it's more a case that players at Swansea and Fulham don't have the quality to concentrate for 90 minutes with the likes of Silva and Aguero bombing at them incessantly.

Sure doesn't Eamo only watch Spanish football anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Those were some odd examples to pick. Fulham are playing some lovely stuff with fairly limited footballers under Jol. I'd say it's more a case that players at Swansea and Fulham don't have the quality to concentrate for 90 minutes with the likes of Silva and Aguero bombing at them incessantly.

Sure doesn't Eamo only watch Spanish football anyway?
    I'd share a lot of your opinions usually, but what constitutes a limited footballer these days? I would say Fulham have one of the most techically gifted squads around, with a number of superb players. Even the limited players they have (the likes of Sidwell
    I took their first team squad from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulham_...rst-team_squad
    They have a competent back 4, with one of the best centre backs around in Hangeland (he struggled with the supposed attentions of Arsenal a bit last season). They have players like Diarra, Duff, Ruiz, Petric, Berbatov, Rodallega and a couple of excellent young players in Dalle Valle and Kaca.

They are far from a limited team. But they do play lovely football.

Agree with the main point of the last few posts re: the bigger teams and the perceived weaker teams. The capitulation of the smaller clubs in England is a real head-scratcher.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Ye he named Swansea and Fulham I think. Darragh gave out to him for calling Mancini a clown as well
    If only Darragh had an edge to his knife he could have rattled Dunphy beyond repair for the gutter type nonsense he was spouting after that game.
    Not that Man City didn't deserve criticism.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Did he use Swansea as an example? Otherwise I think he's basically right. I think City (and United) benefit from teams basically writing the game off and concentrating on more important fixtures. In the Champions League, every game is a huge game and teams will be going out with the belief they can win.
    Ferguson came out and said something different, in that he focuses on the bigger PL games than the CL group stages, hence why he rested Ferdinand on Tuesday.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If only Darragh had an edge to his knife he could have rattled Dunphy beyond repair for the gutter type nonsense he was spouting after that game.
    Not that Man City didn't deserve criticism.
    He was like a fountain of ****e going off. I like Darragh though would have been nice to see him pull eamo up even more. Yer man Tony was having awful trouble with his new map highlight navigation toy, couldn't find where to click a few times

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    And the thing was, Tony thought it was all great gas as he managed to pull off an incredible string of goofs and fumble about blindly when a more sensible individual would have been hoping to be beamed out of there, up to RTE heaven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Paul Jewel leaves Ipswich Town bottom of the Championship. The man the Panel was touting to be our new manager when Stan departed. Not even touting, I mean interviewing. Pity this thread is closed: http://foot.ie/threads/76585-Paul-Jewell/page7

Didn't see the programme last night. I cannot believe Dunphy was using Swansea as a negative example last night. A few weeks ago he was holding them up as the shining example of how Ireland should be playing including showing clips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah he used Swansea as an example of a team that gives the ball straight back to them. I got the impression he probably knew after saying it that it wasn't the best example to use, but he continued with his nonsensical rant instead of back tracking. Ironically enough, he continued by saying Manchester City would be far better off with Martin O'Neill or (and wait for it.....) Brendan Rodgers managing them. Now, one can only assume that he chose Rodgers as an example because of the lovely controlled football he had Swansea playing last season! Darragh really could have laid in to him after that one but I suppose with the likes of Dunphy you can't win, no matter how stupid you make them look.

Dunphy's reaction to Darragh saying that he's not comfortable with calling Mancini a clown was funny enough- "Ah come on, it's only TV".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was if Dunphy was saying 'look Darragh, you can't be serious, I'm only following the script of my contract with RTE to be overly hypocritical and contradictory, don't give me a hard time about it'

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Bill O'Herlihy has written a book - Eamonn encouraged him!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...s-3278267.html

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast