Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Yeah, they're a very slick outfit and they scored 4 with essentially a backup forward line. I was a bit frustrated by them actually, I think they can play better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Giles and Dunphy lack any sort of context. You can't just call Germany ordinary, ordinary to who? Calling them ordinary completely devalues the competition as they're the second best team in the thing. Dunphy said they have a lot of ordinary players, who are these 'ordinary' players? Its like they use a different barometer when judging Ireland, players like Duff, Dunne and Keane are somehow 'great' but Khedira playing for the biggest club in the world is 'ordinary' Ozil is 'ordinary'

Its like CR7, they would gloat someone like Rooney for some reason I don't know, maybe because he displays the traditional characteristics of footballers they would've grown up with/played with but knock Ronaldo who is far and away superior to Rooney. Giles is horrendous for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Giles and Dunphy lack any sort of context. You can't just call Germany ordinary, ordinary to who? Calling them ordinary completely devalues the competition as they're the second best team in the thing. Dunphy said they have a lot of ordinary players, who are these 'ordinary' players? Its like they use a different barometer when judging Ireland, players like Duff, Dunne and Keane are somehow 'great' but Khedira playing for the biggest club in the world is 'ordinary' Ozil is 'ordinary'

Its like CR7, they would gloat someone like Rooney for some reason I don't know, maybe because he displays the traditional characteristics of footballers they would've grown up with/played with but knock Ronaldo who is far and away superior to Rooney. Giles is horrendous for this.
    Agree with you there alright. A lot of that stuff goes on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Yeah man. I'll always like them though deep down. Watching when the 4 lads were on Miriam O'Callaghan's show hahaha. Mon the lads.

Can someone tell me how Gilesy speaks with an Irish accent, even though he's lived in UK since he was 15?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Can someone tell me how Gilesy speaks with an Irish accent, even though he's lived in UK since he was 15?
    I think its a personal thing, or rather how much you elect to become your environment. I have an aunt for example, who if you listen closely you can hear the remains of her Irish accent but only just, her brother, who has spent a comparable period of time in Britain, but you would swear he never left the parish. Both would be Giles era.

My family say I still have my accent and it hasn't softened at all, yet friends here say I sound more Irish after I get back from holiday. I would hate to lose my accent though. I think you can chose not to.

Any of the other UK based lads on this one?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    My mum and dad have been in the UK 40+ years now (since their late teens) and both still have strong accents. Though, the English Inlaws have stated when my dad has been with his family for a day or two it seems to get even stronger. So Giles accent is not a surprise.

On the other side of the coin, a good school friend of mine from Manchester went back to Roscommon when he was about 12. I hadnt spoken to him for 25 years or so until a few months ago and I was expecting a big tattie munching culchie accent - but no, a broad Manc still - Took me by surprise!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I have a brother who went to Germany when he was 20 many years ago. Now speaks English with a strong German accent I have another brother who has lived in England for 30+ years. Not a trace of an accent.

O'Herlihy to Panel: "Do you think Gerrard's cramp might be down to tiredness?"

Reasonable possibilty Bill, reasonable possibility.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I fell around the place laughing last night as psuedo intellectual Eamon Dunphy tried to explain the cultural differences that have dogged Spanish teams in the past. With brilliantly sharp and insightful thinking he mused that the Spanish players decided not to sing the national anthem to show unity between Catalan and non-Catalan players. The official Spanish national anthem has no words..........

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatJR View Post
    I fell around the place laughing last night as psuedo intellectual Eamon Dunphy tried to explain the cultural differences that have dogged Spanish teams in the past. With brilliantly sharp and insightful thinking he mused that the Spanish players decided not to sing the national anthem to show unity between Catalan and non-Catalan players. The official Spanish national anthem has no words..........
    Ha funny - I heard that before about their anthem but wasn't sure. He was also talking about how Iniesta and Fabregas played in the same Barca youth team as 16 year old's - the fact there is a full three years in the age difference doesn't seem to matter to Eamo !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    anyone else see Giles's analysis pre-match of the two keepers? They were playing a number of clips of both making spectacular saves and it was as clear as day giles was just reading a script 'here comes a save from buffon against X, and here he is against Y'. It certainly wasnt himself who had picked out the saves. Surely there's some one better than Houghton for co-commentary on the final too?
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    anyone else see Giles's analysis pre-match of the two keepers? They were playing a number of clips of both making spectacular saves and it was as clear as day giles was just reading a script 'here comes a save from buffon against X, and here he is against Y'. It certainly wasnt himself who had picked out the saves. Surely there's some one better than Houghton for co-commentary on the final too?
    are you saying it's a bad thing if he does some research (or more likely works with a researcher) to prepare a series of clips before a game?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Im saying, he was handed a script and told heres whats coming up in this clip that we have prepared for you, and that its made out to be his own work when clearly its not. I would say its obviously NOT a bad thing if he does some research before a match, but from what I could see he didnt do that.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatJR View Post
    maybe eamo looked into it more deeply than we give him credit for..... under Franco there were words put to it but there have been none since 1978. Words have since been avoided to avoid causing offence to the differant regions that like to see themselves as separate to spain such as the Basques and Catalans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    maybe eamo looked into it more deeply than we give him credit for..... under Franco there were words put to it but there have been none since 1978. Words have since been avoided to avoid causing offence to the differant regions that like to see themselves as separate to spain such as the Basques and Catalans.
    Now now, no letting "Eamo" off the hook. He said they don't sing the words because for the unity of the team. There are no words to sing as George Hamilton stated on at least 5 occasions so he mustn't listen to Danger Here.

Laughing Bill to Giles: "Castilas had a great game, John".
    Giles: "He didn't have much to do Bill.
    Bill: "It's time for an ad break...."
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Did Giles really say that about Casillas? He made saves when they counted and dealt with sdangerous inswinging corners well enough, maybe getting lucky with the bounce on one occasion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Now now, no letting "Eamo" off the hook. He said they don't sing the words because for the unity of the team. There are no words to sing as George Hamilton stated on at least 5 occasions so he mustn't listen to Danger Here.
    That's what I recall Dunphy saying.

The enigma of the wordless Spanish anthem works both ways, a call for unity or the cause of a lack of vigour.
    When Spain were flopping at Finals, the Spanish FA did a lengthy investigation in 2006 to find out why, in the end they concluded that the fact that there were no words to the anthem was a significant factor in the lack of spirit.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Its a guarded secret that our own anthem has caused resentment and infighting amongst the players over the years.

There's been mention of sexism and violence.

I mean, any anthem that finishes off with:

".......Sho-ving Connie around the field!!!!!!" is going to be divisive.
    Last edited by Wolfie; 03/07/2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Interesting after the game. My pal Bill looked dejected that we had won as the camera went to him immediately after the game. But what really surprised me was that Giles spoke up for Trapp having slated him in just about every previous Panel discussion. Sadlier is now trying to take the Dunphy role and the argument between him and Brady was interesting, although Brady's argument was weak that the players should tell the manager how to play. However, I was pleased as there was balance at last in the debate, despite Tony O'Donoghue trying to tear strips off Trapp in the post match interview. He did something similar after the French game and certainly has an anti-Trap agenda/position/viewpoint.

We have been missing that over the years (Saipan aside), the Panelists and Bill disagreeing with each other. Well done RTE.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Interesting after the game. My pal Bill looked dejected that we had won as the camera went to him immediately after the game. But what really surprised me was that Giles spoke up for Trapp having slated him in just about every previous Panel discussion. Sadlier is now trying to take the Dunphy role and the argument between him and Brady was interesting, although Brady's argument was weak that the players should tell the manager how to play. However, I was pleased as there was balance at last in the debate, despite Tony O'Donoghue trying to tear strips off Trapp in the post match interview. He did something similar after the French game and certainly has an anti-Trap agenda/position/viewpoint.

We have been missing that over the years (Saipan aside), the Panelists and Bill disagreeing with each other. Well done RTE.
    I thought it was a really strange viewing experience all round, the commentators were so dull and drab in the 2nd half. They'd literally given up long before the 80th minute which was really odd since small teams conceding late on is pretty commonplace.
    Tony O'Donoghue's aggression to Trap was pathetic and unnecessary, he's there to ask question not push his own agenda.
    Bill or Richie seemed genuinely ****ed off that their prepared "end of an era" tone was quashed from relevancy at the last moment of the game leaving their position much weaker. I generally like Sadlier but his call for a sacking was the utmost stupidity, I'd wondered if the editors told him to take that extreme line in the absence of Dunphy but he was taking the same stance in his column the weekend. Giles, I believe continues to lean being anti-Trap but such was the extremism from other quarters it made him appear defensive of the man. Brady was correct about a point that everyone seems intent on ignoring, the Kazakhs were quite good and are well capable of taking points off teams at home.

Too much sideshow in general, bit uncomfortable seeing your national broadcaster so vehemently opposed to the manager when the public aren't even decided on the issue. It made sense with Stan, it doesn't here. Very little talk in general about the group, the points gain, future opposition etc: they just made the whole show to be about Trap's position. Tabloid stuff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I felt that George and Ronnie were overly harsh on the team during the Euros. Yes it was tough to watch but least we were there. There was a level to how low the dejection should have got. This dejection has carried over onto last Friday and of course it was only worsened with Fridays performance. I think George was genuinely flabbergasted with the late goals. There is little doubt both lads are desperate for Ireland to do well though.

On the panel. I like Brady but there is no doubt he is blinded by his allegiance to Trap. He was tempering optimism at the start of the Euros (rightly so) when everyone was getting carried away. Also rightly he pointed out the other night that we have just had a successful qualifying campaign under Trap (and very nearly two in a row). On the face of it, there is a lot to be content with.

They discussed the lack of optimism in the general Irish public in this team at length. And that is a key point. Despite qualifying, despite achieving good results in general, the manager and the team do not attract a large level of public support. That is a problem and unlikely to shift unless Trap changes style.

Sadlier adds a different dimension. Perhaps he is trying to be controversial to carve out a career for himself. But his arguments at least are more reasoned and supported than Dunphy's are. I also agree his calling for Trap to get the sack was ill judged and rightly pulled up on by Giles.

I think the right answer is somewhere in between. This team and management have done well but there is justifiable reason for change, to a degree in personell but more so in tactical approach.

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast