Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Paul Jewel leaves Ipswich Town bottom of the Championship. The man the Panel was touting to be our new manager when Stan departed. Not even touting, I mean interviewing. Pity this thread is closed: http://foot.ie/threads/76585-Paul-Jewell/page7
    Mick McCarthy looks set to replace him: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/engli...er-at-ipswich/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Watched the highlights programme of Ireland Poland match on RTE2 last night... Is it just me, or does there appear to be ongoing tension between Darragh Maloney and John Giles? I've seen Maloney be spikey with Giles on-air in the past and certainly last night there were a few dirty looks on both sides...

Personally, I find Maloney heavy going as a presenter... like Matt Smith on ITV... doesn't flow IMO....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Ariba!
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Watched the highlights programme of Ireland Poland match on RTE2 last night... Is it just me, or does there appear to be ongoing tension between Darragh Maloney and John Giles? I've seen Maloney be spikey with Giles on-air in the past and certainly last night there were a few dirty looks on both sides...

Personally, I find Maloney heavy going as a presenter... like Matt Smith on ITV... doesn't flow IMO....
    While George was out on sick leave, Darragh took over the match commentaries and afair had a 100% record. Whatever irritation he might inspire in anybody, that record forgives all. Another plus for Darragh is that he's not Bill.
    I missed the post game rte punditry on Wed night. Bill, in order to introduce debate, would quote some nonsense from some paper or another, thereby denying responsibility for asking the nonsense, claiming that it was in the papers and not from him. Darragh will at least ask follow on questions, something Bill was incapable of.
    For my part, I'd rather he developed the knack of good debate rather than making himself likeable and everybody's chum.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post

I don't think there is any tension between them to be honest. I seen Darragh have a few similar spikey moments with Dunphy recently as well. I think Dunphy being Dunphy was calling one of the managers a clown or something and Darragh pulled him up on it and wouldn't let it go when Dunphy tried to laugh it off. I think Darragh Maloney is a good presenter myself.
    Lets talk about six baby

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Darragh's very solid and isn't trying to be controversial in the old British style (a la Bill), though he does need to lighten up a bit. It'll come though, once he starts to realise his place int eh pecking order! :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I like Darragh. RTE could do a lot worse. Anyone ever watched football coverage on TV3? Morbid.

Also, I think John Giles' default expression just happens to coincide with the average dirty look. I reckon you could be his best mate, having the craic together and he'd be looking at you during the silences like you'd mentioned John Fitzpatrick.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    John 'it was a 50 50 tackle, my leg wasn't broken and I played on' Fitzpatrick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    That's the chap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think Maloney is excellent. Eamon was banging on about Ronaldo never doing it against Barca not so long ago and Darragh told him he got the winner at he Nou Camp last season and has scored in his last three games against them (or something like that). Eamon just said something ridiculous like..."I know but before that I mean". The other night he asked the right questions also when Whelan and Giles were banging on about there being no point in playing the likes of Sammon and Cunningham when they won't be playing against Sweden. Darragh basically said "hold on, weren't ye complaining that he wasn't giving players a chance not so long ago, I mean what's he going to learn that he doesn't already know about Cox or Walters?". To be fair Giles eventually started making sense (after Whelan went completely off track avoiding the actual question) saying, "these players should have been tried out ages ago but now is the time to prepare for the Sweden game".*

*Lots of quotation marks but no exact quotes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Also, I think John Giles' default expression just happens to coincide with the average dirty look. I reckon you could be his best mate, having the craic together and he'd be looking at you during the silences like you'd mentioned John Fitzpatrick.
    Genuine LOL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Agree with Delorean. Bill and co for years now have been asking the questions the people who have no interest in the Irish team want answered. How many times did you hear some random person who only watches at tournaments say something like "Trap is a disgrace...sure he won't select Stephen Ireland".

It was really refreshing to see Maloney call Ronnie's bluff and see Ronnie's expression of, "Oh crap...how will i get myself out of this one".

The unfortunate thing about years of Dunphyism is that aspiring soccere commentators in Ireland see that being sensational is what gets them gigs. Giles as the resident 'Expert' has been saying the same thing for years now regardless of the performance. Nothing Giles or Dunphy suggest as solutions to our problems, when tested, have actually been solutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Maloney is of a younger, tech-savvy generation. I'd say he does a fair amount of his research online (online media, forums and the blogosphere) rather than rely heavily on opinion in the mainstream printed media. Where do Bill, Dunphy and Giles do their research on the latest debates and issues in Irish football?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Maloney is of a younger, tech-savvy generation. I'd say he does a fair amount of his research online (online media, forums and the blogosphere) rather than rely heavily on opinion in the mainstream printed media. Where do Bill, Dunphy and Giles do their research on the latest debates and issues in Irish football?
    Ah here. Billo and Gilesy don't need to do no research. Eamo attends every single game in La Liga to keep up to date on the latest developments in world football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Bill goes to a Japanese-owned electronics factory on the outskirts of Newtownabbey. Oki, Doagh.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ah here. Billo and Gilesy don't need to do no research. Eamo attends every single game in La Liga to keep up to date on the latest developments in world football.
    A self-proclaimed 'student' of Spanish football who thought that Aimar and Baraja were still pulling the strings for Valencia as recently as two years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Maloney is of a younger, tech-savvy generation. I'd say he does a fair amount of his research online (online media, forums and the blogosphere) rather than rely heavily on opinion in the mainstream printed media.
    Never ever let me see this word again. Horrendous.

Where do Bill, Dunphy and Giles do their research on the latest debates and issues in Irish football?
    I was gonna say here... but this is teh internetz... dang...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    A self-proclaimed 'student' of Spanish football who thought that Aimar and Baraja were still pulling the strings for Valencia as recently as two years ago.
    He's an expert on Spanish football, he said so himself.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    It has dawned on ITV which RTE realised 25 years ago. Get a pundit who will shout his mouth off and you get viewers watching:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-a-pundit.html

Interesting comments about Keane and the Charlton era as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's funny reading that. Keane is in a Souness role rather than Dunphy.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast