Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 752

Thread: RTE Panel

  1. #41
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,200
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,111
    Thanked in
    2,307 Posts
    Caroline, me trousers is burst.

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #42
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,486
    Thanked in
    740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Last night was bizarre. They had a whole host of video clips ready from Swansea City to Coleman and Pilkington. They show one clip of a Swansea City player throwing a ball to his own player and then in contrast one clip of O'Shea throwing a ball up the line. These two 3 second clips from hundreds of hours of football were to make a point. Surprisingly NO clips were shown of how we conceded our first three goals in each competition by giving the ball away in our half when we tried to play football. A clip from Anfield of a Swansea player giving the ball to a Liverpool player who gives it back to Swansea who then score. Dunphy says Swansea got a standing ovation at Anfield because of the football they played. Picture in support shows Swansea fans standing up applauding their team!! All the clips of Coleman were from not last season but the one before. No mention that Pilkington was not a regular in the Norwich team.

    Brady who had up to then put up a staunch defence in support of Trap looked like a beaten man The RTE Panel once again led by Laughing Bill has stuck the knife in to the existing manager. The fact that the results went against him just sharpened them. It has been the agenda before every tournament, every qualifying campaign, no matter who the incumbent manager is because it is great for the ratings. It is the stuff of the tabloid press. Ronnie Whelan in commentary said the substitutions made no sense to him yet they resulted in the most concerted period of pressure we had.

    I am reminded of wolves who had been stalking their prey for a long time descending on their victim when he trips up and they tear his body apart.
    You repeatedly slam the rte panel on here - yet bizarrely you continue to watch them - in fact you must have watched the piece last night repeatedly.

    Weather you agree with the panel or not - all they offer is an opinion - weather they are right ar wrong is irrelevant - you'd swear these three were misleading the public on important issues ffs.

    Let it go! there's a weath of podcasts,articles, and forums where you can get informed reliable analysis. You are flogging a dead horse slating the rte panel. They are there because they are popular - weather you or I like them or not.

  4. #43
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,005
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,667
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,700
    Thanked in
    1,844 Posts
    Owls has the complete right to express his opinions on the rte panel, he doesn't start these threads but once the thread has started ..... he cannot resist. RTE is a public service broadcaster and the window to the national team for the bulk of the population. Other media outlets are not public service.
    I find Owls' analysis original and a refreshing contrast to the status quo public service censorious propaganda and self assumed/appointed role as the authority on Irish football. Just because they are popular does not mean they are removed from observations and perceptions about their hypocrisy, bias, agendas, and of late their p'iss poor shoddy attempt to present the acclaimed alternatives available to what Trap selected for the squad.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #44
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,200
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,111
    Thanked in
    2,307 Posts
    Dunphy should never have had to ask Brady if there was anything coming through.

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #45
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,075
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,627
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Roddy said Irish football had been put back 20 years!! Not 2 years, 4 etc but 20.
    Qualification for the next World Cup in the Americas so.

  9. #46
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,198
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,310
    Thanked in
    731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    You repeatedly slam the rte panel on here - yet bizarrely you continue to watch them - in fact you must have watched the piece last night repeatedly.

    Weather you agree with the panel or not - all they offer is an opinion - weather they are right ar wrong is irrelevant - you'd swear these three were misleading the public on important issues ffs.

    Let it go! there's a weath of podcasts,articles, and forums where you can get informed reliable analysis. You are flogging a dead horse slating the rte panel. They are there because they are popular - weather you or I like them or not.
    Trust me, I did not watch that piece repeatedly. I watched it once live with a couple of football friends and who laughed with me at the selective clippings and nonsense that was spouted.

    I think who manages our team is an important issue and to quote your own phrase ffs. I also think it is not right that the national broadcaster should launch campaigns to attack the national managers from Hand through to Trappatoni. The trouble has always been that Giles has a philosophy of football and Dunphy has bowed to it. Thus there was never a debate as such as Laughing Bill took everything they say as gospel and then starts spouting it himself. I thought Darragh Maloney was good last night chairing the debate as he put forward contrary arguments for a change. But of course it ended with another anti-Trap poll should he remain on as manager? Why not have a poll such as has Laughing Bill ever been at a football match outside of the studio, is Giles too old for his job, is Dunphy's head so far up Giles' ar@e that it's suffering from collitis? Mind you I was surprised that as many as 30% said Trap should stay despite having heard the manager being torn to shreds.

    Interesting little cameo at the end. Dunphy slated England and said they has no chance. Giles said he wasn't too sure and perhaps with the luck they have been having they were in with a chance and politely suggested that to Dunphy. Cue Dunphy to retreat hidden behind laughter.

    I watch it Real Ale like I also watch Coronation Street (wife makes me) which is also hugely popular. For the farce element.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  10. #47
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    65
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    180
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    But Dunphy is there purely for the farce element, you say it as if watching him for the car crash farcical comments aren't the only reason he's on television. Its why everyone watches him, I've never met someone who took him seriously.

  11. #48
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,486
    Thanked in
    740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Trust me, I did not watch that piece repeatedly. I watched it once live with a couple of football friends and who laughed with me at the selective clippings and nonsense that was spouted.

    I think who manages our team is an important issue and to quote your own phrase ffs. I also think it is not right that the national broadcaster should launch campaigns to attack the national managers from Hand through to Trappatoni. The trouble has always been that Giles has a philosophy of football and Dunphy has bowed to it. Thus there was never a debate as such as Laughing Bill took everything they say as gospel and then starts spouting it himself. I thought Darragh Maloney was good last night chairing the debate as he put forward contrary arguments for a change. But of course it ended with another anti-Trap poll should he remain on as manager? Why not have a poll such as has Laughing Bill ever been at a football match outside of the studio, is Giles too old for his job, is Dunphy's head so far up Giles' ar@e that it's suffering from collitis? Mind you I was surprised that as many as 30% said Trap should stay despite having heard the manager being torn to shreds.

    Interesting little cameo at the end. Dunphy slated England and said they has no chance. Giles said he wasn't too sure and perhaps with the luck they have been having they were in with a chance and politely suggested that to Dunphy. Cue Dunphy to retreat hidden behind laughter.

    I watch it Real Ale like I also watch Coronation Street (wife makes me) which is also hugely popular. For the farce element.
    In terms of football, yes its important, - but they are not giving out irresponsible financial advice for example. I think you have lost perspective on the issue.

    I think rest of your post is contrived nonsense, but 2 more points:

    You never mention Brady above - who was staunch in his defence of Trapatoni the day after the Spanish game.

    Those Polls should not be taken seriously - 75% of people thought we would get a result in the Spanish game. Was it a legitimate question to ask ? Well after 3 defeats and a goal difference of -8, even if you don't agree - surely it was a legitimate question to ask and not the source of some hidden agenda.

  12. #49
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    977
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,054
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think using phrases like "Laughing Bill" take away greatly from the point you're making.

    You're slagging them for acting amateurishly, and throw in a childish insult.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  13. #50
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,198
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,310
    Thanked in
    731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    In terms of football, yes its important, - but they are not giving out irresponsible financial advice for example. I think you have lost perspective on the issue.

    I think rest of your post is contrived nonsense, but 2 more points:

    You never mention Brady above - who was staunch in his defence of Trapatoni the day after the Spanish game.

    Those Polls should not be taken seriously - 75% of people thought we would get a result in the Spanish game. Was it a legitimate question to ask ? Well after 3 defeats and a goal difference of -8, even if you don't agree - surely it was a legitimate question to ask and not the source of some hidden agenda.
    It's a football programme. Are we not allowed discuss it and the views it puts forward and in the context of football who manages the football team is very important to me. It fact it is as important as some some financial programme giving out financial advice.

    I did actually mention Brady in a previous post and yes he did staunchly defend Trap both on and off air apparently. I was away in Poznan for most of it but I was informed of it. Apparently he said to Dunphy at the start when the latter predicted we would get to the next round that he was only praising the Irish team so he could have a go at Trap when the team didn't perform to expectations. I have waited years for something like that on the Panel although Souness has in the past been excellent.

    The agenda is not "hidden". It has been there for over 3 years and back to the Charlton etc eras. God knows Bill (not Laughing) said at the end of the Paris debacle that we were to "Rejoice" because we had played a different brand of football despite the devastation of losing out because of the handball. Madness!! Could you imagine in your wildest dreams (nightmares), the host of any TV show saying a nation should rejoice because a team had played well and yet had been knocked out of the world cup by a handball goal. The bias against Trap had got to him so much that he thought that this was a matter to rejoice at.

    I think we know where the contrived nonsense comes from.

    No, the Polls themselves are not to be taken seriously but the agenda behind the questions are.

    At least we're out now and I can relax and just watch the anti-English and anti-Ronaldo show that will now take the place of the anti-Trap show.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  14. #51
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,486
    Thanked in
    740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The agenda is not "hidden". It has been there for over 3 years and back to the Charlton etc eras. God knows Bill (not Laughing) said at the end of the Paris debacle that we were to "Rejoice" because we had played a different brand of football despite the devastation of losing out because of the handball. Madness!! Could you imagine in your wildest dreams (nightmares), the host of any TV show saying a nation should rejoice because a team had played well and yet had been knocked out of the world cup by a handball goal. show.

    So you criticise me when I question the mentality of supporters who sing the Fields of Athery in the midst of a thrashing on another thread, yet Laughing Bill can't rejoice when we play good football!

    As Giles would say : "nonsense, Absolute nonsense there Bill. Can we get back to talking about the football and taking each game as it comes there please?"

  15. #52
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    281
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    What's happened to Souness by the way? Thought he was excellent on RTE.

  16. #53
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Holm Span, Blackpool
    Posts
    12,025
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,392
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,634
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Souness was excellent. I do miss him.
    He stopped being on air as a result of some rape comment he made during a match.

    This needs to be clarified though.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  17. #54
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    281
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Souness was excellent. I do miss him.
    He stopped being on air as a result of some rape comment he made during a match.

    This needs to be clarified though.
    Was that the Vidic/Torres one? If that's the reason, it's ridiculous.

    Souness was a great pundit (sh!te manager but knew what he was on about). Some of his arguments with Dunphy were comical. As much as Dunphy entertains me, he talks a lot of rubbish and Souness was always willing to call him on it. To be fair, Brady does that role quite well too.

  18. #55
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Holm Span, Blackpool
    Posts
    12,025
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,392
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,634
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Possibly. I don't recall.
    It may simply as well that he doesn't want to anymore.

    When the four were on together there was nothing like it. Wonderful punditry. The likes of which only the bbc and itv could dream about.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  19. #56
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    ... you'd swear these three were misleading the public on important issues ffs.

    ...

    They are there because they are popular - weather you or I like them or not.
    Bit of a contradiction there? You admit they're popular but deny they're misleading the public? Or were you emphasising the "important issues" (issues more important than football?) part?

  20. #57
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,486
    Thanked in
    740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Bit of a contradiction there? You admit they're popular but deny they're misleading the public? Or were you emphasising the "important issues" (issues more important than football?) part?
    What's contradictory ? I was just making the point that they give opinions and there wasn't a need for Owls to dislike them, as at the end of day that's all they have is thier own opinions.

    I don't really watch them much but you can't deny they are popular - they have been doing the same thing for decades at this stage. If they weren't popular they would be gone.

  21. #58
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    By being popular, they surely influence public opinion with what often happens to be misleading information, no?

  22. #59
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,486
    Thanked in
    740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    By being popular, they surely influence public opinion with what often happens to be misleading information, no?
    Yes they influence public opinion - but surely misleading information is strong? It's opinion ; neither right or wrong.

  23. #60
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Maybe so, although I thought Dunphy's run-through of "solution players" the other evening could be construed as misleading.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Faces for RTE Panel?
    By Reality Bites in forum World League Football
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 23/10/2009, 5:43 PM
  2. United on 'The Panel'
    By gufcfan in forum Galway United
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19/12/2006, 10:44 PM
  3. The Panel
    By Anto McC in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08/11/2005, 8:53 PM
  4. The Panel
    By brendy_éire in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06/09/2004, 10:15 PM
  5. FAO: The Limerick Panel
    By sadloserkid in forum Limerick
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10/12/2003, 7:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •