Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Monaco looking good for 3-1 now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Dunphy was discussing Atlético Madrid earlier and was telling the RTÉ audience how they have traditionally been a "selling club". To illustrate his point, he plucked out of his arse the "example" of Atlético having "sold Diego Forlán to Manchester United quite a long time ago"...

Of course, Forlán signed for United from Argentine club Independiente in 2002 before moving to Villareal in 2004 and then on to Atlético in 2007. His next club was Inter Milan in 2011.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Dunphy was discussing Atlético Madrid earlier and was telling the RTÉ audience how they have traditionally been a "selling club". To illustrate his point, he plucked out of his arse the "example" of Atlético having "sold Diego Forlán to Manchester United quite a long time ago"...

Of course, Forlán signed for United from Argentine club Independiente in 2002 before moving to Villareal in 2004 and then on to Atlético in 2007. His next club was Inter Milan in 2011.
    Your nitpicking now....Dumby doesn't need to do accuracy because that would entail knowing what he was talking about .

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He also said Ancelotti was sacked despite winning La Liga I believe, which he never did.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    RTÉ preview/analysis of the playoff defeat to The Netherlands at Anfield in 1995 - http://www.the42.ie/rte-ireland-holl...91414-May2017/

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    43 minutes - hmmmm. Anything of interest ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I only watched the first couple of minutes myself so far. A nice little Beatles/Ireland montage at the start!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    43 minutes - hmmmm. Anything of interest ?
    I've watched bits and pieces here and there and it certainly evokes a sense of nostalgia. It features a nice pre-match rendition of 'YNWA' sung by the fans towards the start and also an emotional Jack waving the fans farewell from the pitch (at around 28m30s) as the curtain comes down on his time in charge.

There are interviews with Townsend and McGrath at the end too.

Tommy Gorman also reports from the Dutch camp before the game and makes reference to them feeling lucky to have made it to the play-off due to having lost group games to the Czech Republic and Belarus, or "White Russia" as he also calls them. It's an amusing use of an archaism of which I'd somehow never been aware until now. A bit like Giles frequently referring to the Czech Republic as "Czechoslovakia".

Was Paddy Crerand a regular pundit? I would have been ten-years-old at the time, but I don't recall having seen him much on RTÉ back in the day. Maybe my memory is failing me or I was just focused exclusively on what was going on on the field! Where was Dunphy?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Crerand was quite regular, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Crerand was quite regular, yes.
    Yes and Joe Kinnear as well. Frank Stapleton also. Probably a Wikipedia site someplace which lists all the panelists but the others were mostly before Giles and Dunphy sewed up the job for around 20 years.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I definitely recall Kinnear very clearly and have vaguer memories of Stapleton.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Crerand was there for a couple of years I think, 94-96.

Was an utterly miserable pundit, I was really pleased when he stopped appearing.

He went on to work for MUTV, and was, even by club tv standards, incredibly biased.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/05/2017 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    He went on to work for MUTV, and was, even by club tv standards, incredibly biased.
    His furious refusal to believe reports of Alex Ferguson's then-impending retirement in 2013 is comical:

30 minutes after the Newstalk interview finished, Manchester United officially confirmed Ferguson's retirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A piece on George Hamilton by Marie Crowe for tomorrow's match programme: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/georg...ce-of-a-nation

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Crowe

A Queens University graduate, opportunity first knocked for Hamilton at the BBC where he started out in rugby and learned his trade. His first visit to the then Lansdowne Road was to cover a Five Nations game between Ireland and Scotland in 1974, but fast forward four decades and it’s like his second home.

The Aviva Stadium is actually more than a place of work for Hamilton. He loves coming to the home ground of the Irish football and rugby teams. Getting into his car and driving to the stadium still fills him with excitement and anticipation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    O'Neill seemed a lot more amicable towards TOD this time I thought. Maybe because Tony was more agreeable than usual and resisted asking him why he didn't start Hoolahan - http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/int...3423/10737457/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    RIP Jimmy Magee - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...e-passes-away/

Edit - RTÉ tribute here...

Last edited by DeLorean; 20/09/2017 at 11:46 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Tony making another enemy last night, poor fella can't catch a break - https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/966437487571714051

RTÉ didn't seem to grasp the deliberate looseness of Mourinho's exaggerated reply - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ogba-question/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ Soccer
    However despite Pogba’s "good work" Mourinho was clearly irritated when asked whether he had done enough to start in the return leg, wrongly stating that the game is in two months time before walking off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    What do people think of Ronnie Whelan as a co-commentator? His persistent moaning does my head in and I even went over to the BBC for the England game against Panama which was a mistake as they had Danny Murphy who came from the Apres Match version of Barry Davies and "the nasty Johnny foreigner school" and our boys are brill. I then watched the games with the sound off I don't mind Beglin, Kerr (a bit nasally), Houghton (because of those goals), Kilbane - well most to be honest so long as it's not Whelan (and now Murphy).

The RTE Panels aren't bad. Nice to see Doyle and Duffer. Brady is probably past his sell by date. Didi Hamann is also interesting.

I had to laugh at Shearer and Pablo Zabaleta (I think) on the BBC Panel bemoaning the diving and feigning injury at the Iran/Portugal game. Who was sitting in between them but the Greg Lousanis of football diving: Didier Drogba. I got so embarrassed for him I had to go over to Coronation Street.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Whelan is tough going alright. Funnily enough, when he's being interviewed by George in a more casual sense pre-match he seems full of positivity, a guy really enjoying life, his surroundings and looking forward to the game in question. That all seems to change at kickoff regardless of how watchable the match might be.

Houghton is a bit full on. Every time he criticises a player for not hitting the target or working the keeper I think of Wembley '91. Sorry Ray, but even Stuttgart & New Jersey don't get you off the hook for that one. There was a chance the other day actually which was quite similar to his one-on-one against Egypt, "all he had to do was lift it", says Ray.

I've always liked Beglin. He has a good rapport with Hamilton in particular.

The panel in general have been very good alright I think.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I can't stand Brady or Dunphy anymore, and Moloney's habit of egging them on and not challenging patently ridiculous comments is really tiresome. Aside from the general crankiness and Dunphy's niche as "Say something, proven wrong, say the opposite" I think part of it is this sense of glee on their faces when confronted with some kind of negativity they can harp on about, like last night with the Argentinian manager's lone celebrations: Dunphy had a gigantic ****-eating grin on his face as he commented, that just struck me as so mean-spirited. Sadlier isn't a lot better, but Hamann I like, and Andrews, very articulate and knowledgeable.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

28. Thanks From:

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast