Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    How many of the RTE commentators are in Brazil?
    I know Hamilton, Houghton, Stevens & Peter Collins are but what about Kerr, Alkin & the rest?
    Brian Kerr has done a game nearly every night, that's a lot of travelling....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    They should have hired Trap to save taxpayer's money. He could watch the game from his flat in Milan, ring Manuela and Manuela could be on the telly. Everyone's a winner really.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Manuela was on the highlights show today with TOD & Sadlier.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Glad to learn that she's not forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    MO'N was very funny last night. His line to Vieria & Cannavaro asking about how many European cups they've won had me in stitches.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    MO'N was very funny last night. His line to Vieria & Cannavaro asking about how many European cups they've won had me in stitches.
    Yeah was a tv highlight alright.
    How is RTE, what am I missing?

Edit just seeing BonnieShels review in other thread...............
    Last edited by bennocelt; 21/06/2014 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Yeah was a tv highlight alright.
    How is RTE, what am I missing?

Edit just seeing BonnieShels review in other thread...............
    I should've put it in here...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Posted this over in the World Cup thread. It probably should be in here:

A lot of conclusions to draw from this World Cup re presentation:

RTE
    Bill "Okie Dokie" O'Herlihy: Bill is Bill. Nothing much to say here. He's retiring. He'll be missed.
    Darragh Moloney: A decent presenter. Can control the panellists and lead the conversation. But no Bill.
    John Giles: Still no better reader of the game. I don't care if he doesn't know the finer details of names or say, where they play. He analyses a game live like no other. A national treasure.
    Eamon Dunphy: Out of his depth at this stage. His argument with Kenny Cunningham was another low-point. Souness would have decked him if he tried that. Childish and patronising. His time is nigh.
    Liam "Chippy" Brady: Some decent input. Good as a buffer for Dunphy's bull.
    Didi Hamann: We all know what he can contribute but does it well. Like him a lot.
    Kenny Cunningham: The new star in the making. A wonderful analyst with pinpoint statements and no crap. When he gives an opinion based on conjecture he informs us as much. No bluffing just facts. The true heir to Johnny. Getting more comfortable on the air too. Murdered Dunphy the last night.
    Ossie Ardiles: Haven't seen enough to comment. From what I remember of WC2010 he was great. Bar that accent.
    Ronnie Whelan: You'd never guess that this man was one of the most talented footballers ever to emanate from Ireland or Britain. It's almost like he doesn't know anything about soccer outside of the game you happen to watch him "analyse". his contributions to the Spain-Netherlands game were particularly awful. The man at the bar would know more than this charlatan.
    Richie "I wanna be like Eamon when I grow up" Sadlier: Easily the most negative man on the planet. The problem is that he’s not the worst pundit. If he just toned it down and didn't troll he would be the better for it.
    Brad Friedel: Haven't seen sight nor light of him. Has he turned up to RTÉ at all?

Dream Team: Giles, Cunningham, Hamann

ITV
    Adrian "Gombeen" Chiles:A absolute shyster. One of the most terrible presenters in all of football, nay, sports bradcasting. Stunted, lacking in knowledge. A terrible presenter. No wonder Roy abandoned ship.
    Matt Smith: Lacking any knowledge or presence. A terrible presenter but a Bill in comparison to Chiles.

In saying that ITV's pundits are actually somewhat decent...
    Lee Dixon: Really warmed to Dixon for his CL punditry and his presence with Roy was actually solid. Two massively impressive players with great careers and completely deserving of respect. Can analyse the game well.
    Andros Townsend: The big shock of the whole World Cup. Andros is actually a very good analyst of the game. All the more impressive given he should be playing at this World Cup. Have enjoyed his contributions.
    Glenn Hoddle: Outside of the England games I've enjoyed Hoddle. It does show in general, that the better the player the better the analyst.
    Martin O'Neill: His put down on Chiles was classic. Calm and collected as we already know he is; no surprises in his punditry. Very witty. Dare I say, very Irish. Every panel needs one of us.
    Patrick Vieira: I would have loved for him to be in the studio wth Roy. Decent analyst but his accent drives me mad. Almost unlistenable.
    Fabio "Hairy" Cannavaro: Not bringing much to the table other than that piece. And a WC winners medal.
    Ian "Wrighty" Wright: Almost nothing can prepare you for the awfulness of this guy. Atrocious.
    Gordon Strachan: Not someone I thought I would have warmed to as quickly as I did. Insightful. To the point. Daycent.
    Gus Poyet: It was a shame the Uruguayan couldn't be truly honest when his national team beat England. Hasn't been a bad addition.

Dream Team: Hoddle, Dixon and Strachan

BBC
    Gary Lineker: He's no Chiles. But I REALLY dislike him as a presenter. Smarm everywhere.
    Alan Hansen: Dreadful as always. Never says anything of note. Thank God he's finally retiring.
    Alan Shearer: Completely growing into the role of "senior" analyst bar one or two biased opinions re England (which is to be expected) he was spot on. Starting to enjoy is presence. Annoyingly.
    Thierry Henry: Yes I despise him for "you-know-what". Yes I hate his smugness. But boy is he knowledgeable and on the ball. Wonderful pundit. Dang. BBC are causing me a crisis of conscience.
    Clarence Seedorf: Again decent. At ease as a pundit. Doesn't hide behind cliche. Can actually be fairly funny to boot.
    Robbie Savage: THERE. ARE. NO. WORDS. Horrific co-commentator and analyst.
    Rio "de Janeiro" Ferdinand: Not great. Not bad. Some of his punditry is clearly auto-cued. But he's no Robbie Savage.
    Juninho: Thankfully I have missed him. But what I have seen has been desperate. Token Brazilian for the Beeb.
    Mark "Lawro" Lawrenson: Thankfully on co-commentary duty so I don't have to listen to him pluralise all team names and talk in cliche. And that HAIR! Eugh. One of the worst pundits out there. If he was a team he'd be like your Port Vales, your Drogheda Uniteds, your Roda JCs...

Dream Team: Shearer, Henry and Seedorf

CBC
    CBC do sport well. Well, sport that Canada are good at so that’s essentially the Winter Olympics or the NHL. World Cup coverage is another kettle of fish altogether. Hindered by awful pundits (Craig Forrest, really?) and that incredibly annoying habit of North American sports of staring straight into the camera like a rabbit in a headlights when talking. Atrocious.
    Thankfully their commentary is provided by ITV for the games that BBC are showing live. That makes sense if you've been watching.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    No mention for Neil Lennon?

I thought Lennon has been pretty good when I've seen him, even if Chiles thinks he's a Scot like Strachan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I can't watch ITV if Chiles is on. Linekar wearing an Italian shirt yesterday was pathetic, had it changed by FT.
    RTE have been miles ahead of BBC & ITV. Stand-out for me this year has been Brian Kerr's commentary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Richie Sadlier definitely tries to be controversial to get himself up the ladder of RTÉ punditry.

Brian Kerr, while I like him, I don't really like listening to him co-commentate. It's like sitting in a pub in Inchicore and the fella beside ya at the bar who knows everything about football won't shut the f*&k up.
    Much prefer him in studio.

And yes, Robbie Savage sounds like a kid who won a competition to co-commentate a World Cup game
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    No mention for Neil Lennon?

I thought Lennon has been pretty good when I've seen him, even if Chiles thinks he's a Scot like Strachan.
    Completely forgot about him. I thought I did well off the top of my head at 5am.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Any ye guys here Phil Neville's Commentary for the first England game? He got an awful lot of stick for it, but it was pretty bad. Was hard to hear and monotone. He did get a bit better after, in the studio a few days later, but you wonder who picks these guys? Cannavaro and Juninho also.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    I still chuckle to myself when I picture in my head John Giles posing the question: 'Would he kill his granny?'

Ardilles' answer to who was the best player never to play in a World Cup was also terribly funny. 'Eamon Dunphy' he said, with a cheeky grin.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Posted this over in the World Cup thread. It probably should be in here:

A lot of conclusions to draw from this World Cup re presentation:

RTE
    Bill "Okie Dokie" O'Herlihy: Bill is Bill. Nothing much to say here. He's retiring. He'll be missed.
    Darragh Moloney: A decent presenter. Can control the panellists and lead the conversation. But no Bill.
    John Giles: Still no better reader of the game. I don't care if he doesn't know the finer details of names or say, where they play. He analyses a game live like no other. A national treasure.
    Eamon Dunphy: Out of his depth at this stage. His argument with Kenny Cunningham was another low-point. Souness would have decked him if he tried that. Childish and patronising. His time is nigh.
    Liam "Chippy" Brady: Some decent input. Good as a buffer for Dunphy's bull.
    Didi Hamann: We all know what he can contribute but does it well. Like him a lot.
    Kenny Cunningham: The new star in the making. A wonderful analyst with pinpoint statements and no crap. When he gives an opinion based on conjecture he informs us as much. No bluffing just facts. The true heir to Johnny. Getting more comfortable on the air too. Murdered Dunphy the last night.
    Ossie Ardiles: Haven't seen enough to comment. From what I remember of WC2010 he was great. Bar that accent.
    Ronnie Whelan: You'd never guess that this man was one of the most talented footballers ever to emanate from Ireland or Britain. It's almost like he doesn't know anything about soccer outside of the game you happen to watch him "analyse". his contributions to the Spain-Netherlands game were particularly awful. The man at the bar would know more than this charlatan.
    Richie "I wanna be like Eamon when I grow up" Sadlier: Easily the most negative man on the planet. The problem is that he’s not the worst pundit. If he just toned it down and didn't troll he would be the better for it.
    I shall bite my tongue.

However, as usual the Panel went way over the top last night in its criticism of Brazil and all singing from the same hymn sheet (Giles, Whelan and Dunphy). I await the day when there will be a serious disagreement between Giles and Dunphy (Saipan aside). Pound for pound, Brazil is actually the most expensive team transfer fee wise in the tournament so they are not actually that bad. However, because they are Brazil, the Panel seems to expect some sort of super powers to be innate in the players: I have seen some average Brazil teams in the past. Giles is not the super pundit described elsewhere - remember he agrees all the time with Dunphy but the latter just articulates it in extravagant terms and Giles stays under the radar. Not long ago he was describing Wayne Rooney as world class and.........MUST STOP THIS.

I really like Dieter Hamann and Kenny Cunningham. Dream Team: Darragh Maloney, Dieter Hamann, Kenny Cunningham and Dunphy (for the comedy)
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    didn't see a lot wrong with what they were saying last night to be honest. Regardless of their collective price tag, only Neymar has really stepped up for Brazil in the World Cup so far.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 24/06/2014 at 2:26 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Yup. Not interested in price tags; Fred and Hulk in particular have been awful, and Brazil have struggled in a fairly straightforward group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    However, as usual the Panel went way over the top last night in its criticism of Brazil and all singing from the same hymn sheet (Giles, Whelan and Dunphy)
    they took the same line last year in the confederations cup when the "awful" Brazil team ended up trouncing spain in the final.

ronnie whelan was a brilliant player but as a pundit he couldn't be any more tabloid, miserable and negative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Some of my Brazilian friends on Facebook were asking who the fúck were the guys on the Irish TV and how dare they talk about Brazil like that

I think someone should remind the lads that there's something like 20,000 Brazilians living in Ireland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Anyway my full article was published...

http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...occer-pundits/

25. Thanks From:

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast