Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    It's eggchasing - not eggball.

I've stuck up for the rte panel on numerous occasions on this thread - but even I had to turn Dunphy off last week after the Arsenal / Munich game. Appalling!
    Let me guess. Talking about how crap Bayern Munich's players are, particularly their defenders, as if the lack of quality defenders isn't endemic in football in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    The ball is shaped like an egg and they chase it. Both work!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts

I've stuck up for the rte panel on numerous occasions on this thread - but even I had to turn Dunphy off last week after the Arsenal / Munich game. Appalling!
    some classics from him at the weekend after the draw was that Germany are not guaranteed to win the group (they are) and that we should write off the last seven years of Irish international football. He didn't mention if that should include the first qualification for a tournament in a decade, but I presume so.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 27/02/2014 at 12:25 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Classic Dunphy, at the start of a manager's reign you put on the green shirt and build up expectation. Then you turn on them later getting increasingly hysterical throughout.

He even did it during Noel King's brief reign, which was hilarious to watch unfold.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Classic Dunphy, at the start of a manager's reign you put on the green shirt and build up expectation. Then you turn on them later getting increasingly hysterical throughout.

He even did it during Noel King's brief reign, which was hilarious to watch unfold.
    So true. Heard him on radio one when Noel King was put in charge and announced the squad and it went along the lines of......Noel is a good guy, Noel is a football man, Noel has picked a squad Trap should have been picking, Noel has done the ground work for the new man and then........if Noel does well he could be in for the job and why not. We know what happened next. All the manager's go the same way from start to finish under Dunphy as you say.
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    RTE panel's intrepid sideline reporter Tony O'Donoghue was at it again last night, this time his target was Mourinho who found himself caught between a wall and a manically grinning midget waving a huge microphone. Straight off the bat, somewhere in a 10 line scatterbrained question, Tony blatantly stated that Chelsea were not a good team, like the other good teams. After a considered,intelligent and honest assessment of the Chelsea performance by Mourinho, a reply that went way over Tony's head,
    he (Tony) accused some 3 or 4 players of being silly because they picked up yellow cards,to which Mourinho could only shrug and say "that's life".

Tony was momentarily stunned by the brevity but saved by the clipboard, he managed to mutter the third question and alluded to Chelsea being bog standard in a bog standard league, a statement which rendered Mourinho almost speechless, 'I have nothing to say on that, I do my job and you experts do yours'.

RTE sent a full commentary team (including O'Donoghue and a camera operator) to Turkey for this 'highlight' of their night.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Gilesy showing admirable restraint as per usual

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    RTE panel's intrepid sideline reporter Tony O'Donoghue was at it again last night, this time his target was Mourinho who found himself caught between a wall and a manically grinning midget waving a huge microphone. Straight off the bat, somewhere in a 10 line scatterbrained question, Tony blatantly stated that Chelsea were not a good team, like the other good teams. After a considered,intelligent and honest assessment of the Chelsea performance by Mourinho, a reply that went way over Tony's head,
    he (Tony) accused some 3 or 4 players of being silly because they picked up yellow cards,to which Mourinho could only shrug and say "that's life".

Tony was momentarily stunned by the brevity but saved by the clipboard, he managed to mutter the third question and alluded to Chelsea being bog standard in a bog standard league, a statement which rendered Mourinho almost speechless, 'I have nothing to say on that, I do my job and you experts do yours'.

RTE sent a full commentary team (including O'Donoghue and a camera operator) to Turkey for this 'highlight' of their night.
    He's an utter troll. I cannot watch him anymore after the way he accosted Noel King.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    =

Why in Gods name was O' Donoghue in Turkey, it's not as if it was a match filled with Irish interest?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Why in Gods name was O' Donoghue in Turkey, it's not as if it was a match filled with Irish interest?
    Nobody needs to go there, RTE can just do what any other small tv network does, save a small fortune and do the commentary in a sound studio over the live feed. It can just sound the same to the viewer, it can even sound better if they have a half decent sound engineer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    As examples:

Suarez handball: red card and penalty, as the liklihood of scoring a penalty is less likely than the occurance of a goal if he hadn't handled it.

Demichelis foul on Messi: penalty and yellow card, as I think the penalty is as good a chance as Messi would have had anyway.

Demichelis foul on Messi if it had happened 5 yards further up the pitch: red card, as the resulting free kick isn't as good a chance as Messi would have had.
    Yeah that's interesting and good examples. I'm just not sure referees can be trusted to decide what the better chance would be, a penalty or a guy running through on goal. Devil's advocate here, but that could even vary from team to team. Fernando Torres, for example, was a lethal finisher in his time at Liverpool, but a poor penalty taker. If Liverpool were notoriously poor from spot kicks, does this mean that Torres running through on goal is always a better bet than a penalty, therefore professional fouls on Torres are always denying a more probable goal than a resulting spot kick?

And the other extreme, say Southampton in the Le Tissier days... well I think Le Tissier's penalties would always have been a more reliable bet than Neil Shipperley racing towards goal in a one on one! Taking that into account, the only red cards issued for offenders against Southampton would be as a result of a Suarez handball type incident.

Fair enough if you believe they can avoid individual factors like that but, even so, I think it might open a can of worms. Very few incidents are as clear cut as the Suarez handball, for example, and a huge percentage are fairly subjective. I think the more clearly defined it is, the better for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Awarding penalties for fouls outside the box: do we need to redefine professional foul for this? Are we differentiating between deliberate foul and mistimed tackle?
    I don't think so really. As it stands red cards are issued in both cases, accidental or not. If they are being punished for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity (regardless of whether it was outside or inside), then surely the logical leveller for the attacking team is to be awarded a clear goal scoring opportunity i.e. a penalty. As for the punishment to the offending player, perhaps a yellow card is enough in all circumstances with the exception of dangerous play. Either that or have a yellow, or even nothing, for non-cynical and a red for cynical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Was Soccer Republic any good last night? Does anybody know if it's repeated?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Paul McGrath was on.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Was Soccer Republic any good last night? Does anybody know if it's repeated?
    Not repeated. On the RTE player (island of Ireland only). Show was 90% LOI related. 3/4 minute interview with Martin O'Neill at the end. They spoke to McGrath about various things but mostly used as an analyst rather than an interviewee.

Fprmat OK but not much in it for non-LOI heads
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I thought McGrath did quite well on it actually. According to the man himself he is very, very nervous when speaking in front of a camera or into a microphone but it didn't come across that way -nor did it appear he'd had anything of a liquid nature to steady his nerve. Hope it works out for him. I know very few people with a bad word for that guy. I think people just like to see him kick on and look after himself.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I know very few people with a bad word for that guy.
    Is there anyone? He's the epitome of humility.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Anyone know how i can get to see it here in mainland europe, a torrent, link or how to use a proxy, cheers?!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Anyone know how i can get to see it here in mainland europe, a torrent, link or how to use a proxy, cheers?!
    For chrome and firefox you can download the MediaHint extension. Works for someone in Spain with both RTE and BBC.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It works as a proxy?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts