Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ireland v Spain - What does it mean to us??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    If anyone is on Football365 forum, there is an interesting thread on there called 'FAO Irish' with a poll asking why people on there don't go to LoI games. Some interesting answers, the main reason is 'I've been to a few games but the standard is rubbish'. Other things brought up, but very rarely mentioned on here, are the lack of continuity in squads (I can sympathize with this, I swear one season Bobby Browne used over 50 players) and the lack of it being a 'social event'. That one got me thinking, is the root of the event junkie mentality that we're only really ever looking for a days craic and a few pints- the source or venue of the event is never important, because no-one will think badly or laugh at you if you're going on the lash?

(god I miss last season when worrying about the league meant wondering if Shels would win their game in hand )
    Surely the standard displayed by the national team in poland invalidates this hoary old argument?

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    If anyone is on Football365 forum, there is an interesting thread on there called 'FAO Irish' with a poll asking why people on there don't go to LoI games. Some interesting answers, the main reason is 'I've been to a few games but the standard is rubbish'. Other things brought up, but very rarely mentioned on here, are the lack of continuity in squads (I can sympathize with this, I swear one season Bobby Browne used over 50 players) and the lack of it being a 'social event'. That one got me thinking, is the root of the event junkie mentality that we're only really ever looking for a days craic and a few pints- the source or venue of the event is never important, because no-one will think badly or laugh at you if you're going on the lash?

(god I miss last season when worrying about the league meant wondering if Shels would win their game in hand )
    I actually think this is a huge part of it. A lot of people go to sporting events as much for the day out and craic as the actual event.

If you look at the bigger attended Rugby and GAA matches most people make a day out of it. It's very hard to do this on a Friday night. How many grounds in the league can you actually go to and have a few pints, watch the game and head home or where ever? I'd say you can do it in the majority of Rugby grounds anyway. When people talk about facilities at grounds this is a big one lacking. In saying all that Monaghan, Dundalk, Cobh and Kildare all have/had bars so it obviously is more than just that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    its about making the connection between the singing at International games and the singing at League games. Im actually kind of serious.

Find me one non-League supporting person who wouldnt enjoy sitting with league fans and singing We are Bohs to the tune of Gold by Spandau Ballet (for example ) and ill show you a person who doesnt really enjoy football for what it is.

Honestly, the question is how do we start connecting with those people who enjoy the buzz of an international game? Barstoolers exist unashamedly - that is without question - and they are a lost cause as far as im concerned. But there are some genuine football fans out there who clearly do enjoy the thrill and "craic" of the live game that we need to tap into somehow but we need to make that connection and it needs to come from "us". How is that achieved? (million dollar fcking question i suppose)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    The media must take some of the blame, they hype up the English game so much, while at the same they tend to ignore LOI.

The Fai needs to rethink its media strategy of the league for next season, as Clubs need the media exposure to get bums on seats, once the clubs get bums on seats its up to the clubs to get these people back week in week out.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republican View Post
    no interest whatsoever yeah so they go to watch loi on fri and dont watch anything again until followin fri
    I rarely if ever watch the EPL, it bores me to tears, and I know plenty more that have lost interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Somehow it's got to be made seem to be desirable to go to games here. How that will happen is beyond me at the moment though. I look at all the reasons suggested why people don't go - poor facilities, bad standard of football, attitude of the supporters to "barstoolers". None of them ring true to me.

Facilities - Don't buy this for a second. If Pats v Rovers (for example) were to play their upcoming league game in the Aviva instead of Tallaght, does anyone think it's going to attract 20,000, or even 10,000 supporters ? On the other hand if Man U were playing Liverpool in a competitive game at Richmond park does anyone think for a second that anyone would say "ah, Richmonds a kip, I'm not going to that "?

Standard - Honestly think the standard of the league over the last few years has been very good, better then it was 10-15 years ago. Yet crowds haven't increased. Pats this year are playing probably the best football I've seen them play, but crowds continue to be poor.

Attitude of existing fans - Heard Colm Foley trot out this old chestnut on MNS this week. I don't believe for a second that a) anyone likely to be offended by any negative comments ever had any intention of going to a game or b) anyone has ever had any grief at an LOI game for being a "barstooler"

As it stands It looks to me like an Irish team will have to be getting to the knockout stages of the Champions League (never mind the group stages) with all the hype that entails, before the great Irish football public start to take notice. And even then I'd have my doubts if that would entail regular attendance. We're grand for an International every couple of months, or of course for those all important once in a blue moon trips to tournaments, but Irish football fans just don't do commitment it seems.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Facilities - Don't buy this for a second. If Pats v Rovers (for example) were to play their upcoming league game in the Aviva instead of Tallaght, does anyone think it's going to attract 20,000, or even 10,000 supporters ?
    Call me crazy, but yes. I do think it could attract upwards of 10,000. For the day out to a nice stadium more than anything else. It's been proved, a big day out at the Aviva, with the cup final (albeit, actually a big occasion), can attract upwards of 15,000.

I honestly believe, we're there a 18 team Premier Division, with 18 teams of a reasonable size, (aka, the current 11 Premier clubs with the bigger First teams, Limerick, Longford, Waterford, Harps and Athlone, Wexford and a Galway team), all playing in big shiny stadiums with bars, corporate facilities, proper media areas, and comfort for fans, there would be a significant rise in attendances.

I honestly believe it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    All the Loi needs IMO is professional administration to stop clubs frequently going broke and out of business, Delaney and Co provide amateur management at blue chip rates, funds that could be used to properly manage the league.
    I love the Loi, I am happy with the facilities and the football, if our grounds were suddenly filled with EPL commodity fetishists and the professional paddies of Poland then I am off to the Irish league, because we do not need these peoples validation.
    The league does have a credibility deficit that like our national debt cannot be eliminated overnight but with careful governance we could have a more stable and slightly better attended league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    I love the Loi, I am happy with the facilities and the football, if our grounds were suddenly filled with EPL commodity fetishists and the professional paddies of Poland then I am off to the Irish league, because we do not need these peoples validation.
    All the LOI needs is for rubbish talk like this to stop. You don't want them at Sligo, send them our way. We'll happily take their money. I'd rather have 10,000 plastic fans at a match than stick with the regular 500 die hards just about keeping the club afloat anyday.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Somehow it's got to be made seem to be desirable to go to games here. How that will happen is beyond me at the moment though. I look at all the reasons suggested why people don't go - poor facilities, bad standard of football, attitude of the supporters to "barstoolers". None of them ring true to me.

Facilities - Don't buy this for a second. If Pats v Rovers (for example) were to play their upcoming league game in the Aviva instead of Tallaght, does anyone think it's going to attract 20,000, or even 10,000 supporters ? On the other hand if Man U were playing Liverpool in a competitive game at Richmond park does anyone think for a second that anyone would say "ah, Richmonds a kip, I'm not going to that "?
    You're missing the point. If Manchester United and Liverpool played in Richer every week people would complain about the facilities. If it was a one off, they probably wouldn't care so much. Rovers moving to Tallaght goes to show how important a decent stadium with good facilities is in increasing attendances. I have absolutely no doubt that Finn Harps and Limerick will see increased attendances once (if) their stadiums get off the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    All the LOI needs is for rubbish talk like this to stop. You don't want them at Sligo, send them our way. We'll happily take their money. I'd rather have 10,000 plastic fans at a match than stick with the regular 500 die hards just about keeping the club afloat anyday.
    Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof, but you mistake my argument I am not an Loi snob, inverted or otherwise, I am a pragmatist and I enjoy the league for what it its, I don't think it its rubbish to ask that emphasis be placed on a properly run league where the small things are done right and Harps can survive on attendances of 500, rather than fantasising about 10k in Finn park.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    if our grounds were suddenly filled with EPL commodity fetishists and the professional paddies of Poland then I am off to the Irish league
    I am not an Loi snob, inverted or otherwise, I am a pragmatist and I enjoy the league for what it its
    I don't really see how you can reconcile these statements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I look at all the reasons suggested why people don't go - poor facilities, bad standard of football, attitude of the supporters to "barstoolers". None of them ring true to me.

Standard - Honestly think the standard of the league over the last few years has been very good, better then it was 10-15 years ago. Yet crowds haven't increased. Pats this year are playing probably the best football I've seen them play, but crowds continue to be poor.

Attitude of existing fans - Heard Colm Foley trot out this old chestnut on MNS this week. I don't believe for a second that a) anyone likely to be offended by any negative comments ever had any intention of going to a game or b) anyone has ever had any grief at an LOI game for being a "barstooler"
    You don't think it could be a combination of these factors amongst others? The league has a serious image problem, unfortunately. Crap facilities, an inferior standard relative to what can be beamed into the living room on a satellite dish and a perception of the league's supporters as parochial, cliquey and bitter are all part of that image problem, not to mention the financial issues and mishaps experienced by clubs on a seasonal basis. It all appears very amateurish. And at times, it quite simply is.

Furthermore, Ireland as a nation has historically been suspicious of football - think of the GAA - and "exporting" any interest in the game served to benefit certain interests. A culture of supporting teams in a better-quality league across the Irish Sea developed and that phenomenon - which seems odd to us and most football fans across Europe who are aware of it - feels perfectly normal and natural to those in Ireland who are embroiled in it.

Irish football fans just don't do commitment it seems.
    Plenty do. It's just channelled across the Irish Sea, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't really see how you can reconcile these statements.
    In the first instance I was being facetious in the second I was explaining this to you

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I certainly think there's a lot to be said for the argument that we need to somehow turn games into 'events'. How that is to be done is a difficult one but every little helps and the more professional you can make your match day operation the better.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Was in Jackman last Friday for the Harps game and got the father to tag along for once.

Twenty or so American tourists showed up out of the blue and the banter with the lads in the shed - as well as a decent spectacle on the pitch (three goals, a penalty, a sending off) - made it one of the best atmospheres I've experienced in Jackman in the few years I've been supporting Limerick.

In the car home the father said, "You'd have to be absolutely made of stone not to leave there with a smile on your face tonight." And he was right. Obviously the US contingent is something that can't be maintained and won't often - if ever - be repeated, but it made the night somewhat special. I get to home games every time I can, which is about 80% of the time - I'd go there if I was the only one or if it was packed to the rafters, whether we won every game 5 - 0 or got hockeyed - but I could still appreciate just how much the atmosphere and banter - even aided by a gimmick like those tourists - can turn it from my weekly fix of Limerick FC (which not every Limerickman needs) to an event, a release and all-round entertainment and craic.

The facilities are never gonna be as comfortable as the couch at home or as warm as the pub in town but they'll never be able to mass-produce the atmosphere in a LOI ground. If we can built that atmosphere and maintain it, it could be a marketing executives dream.

20. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456