Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Spain - What does it mean to us??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    What a load of gash. If he put himself back in his role as a barstooling United fan and asked himself if united fans would react the way he seems to think is so honorable to a similar drubbing by Barca or Real? Minnow.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    People have used the excuse its the size of the population and comparing us to England for example. There are 8 players on the Spanish team from the region of Catalonia(Iniesta, Xavi, Pedro, Busquets, Fabregas, Pique, Puyol, Martinez) which is only a bit bigger than Ireland. They invest and use modern coaching methods and have far more qualified coaches than us. Big problem is not enough qualified coaches at grassroots levels. Although the FAI have updated and modernised there coaching courses it'll take more investment and much more time to reap the rewards.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Red View Post

Take an under 12 soccer game here in Ireland in a local league. Young Johnny is 11 years old and starts up front for his local team in Co. Sligo under 12 district league. He scores a goal and Johnny celebrates with his friends and manager, it's brilliant! Johnny has scored and his team wins the game... but... WTF has Johnny learned? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Yet Johnny will go back to training during the week with friends so he will try and win his next game the next weekend.
    In Spain, they don't compete until the ages of under 16/17. Up until then they are coached and guided how to play football the right way (and "winning" is disregarded). If we ever want to compete at this level a complete review of the way we coach at underage is needed.... but we all know this isn't going to happen when the FAI are more interested in forking out a couple of Million on a big name manager.
    The sooner the investment at grass roots is made, the sooner it'll be when we'll be able to compete with these top nations once again, simple.

__
    Recently we have seen the FA in England make changes to the way the game is coached. At underage levels pitch sizes will be smaller all the way to under 17s. Copying the system the Spanish have had in place for the last number of years. This encourages more technical skills, and keeping the ball as a main priority (not just kicking it the farthest). Yet we have yet to introduce anything similar.
    Actually the way its going is U7+U8s 5-a-side. U9's-U-12's 9-a-side. Then starting @U14s they start playing 11 competitive football.
    In Monaghan we already have such a system. U8s and U10s play a summer 7-a-side non-competitive league and then in september the U-12 9-a-side league runs until March this is also non-competitive.
    Our Monaghan United side has only started playing competitively this season at U13's which isn't far off the status quo in Europe.
    Last edited by Morginho; 16/06/2012 at 4:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morginho View Post
    Actually the way its going is U7+U8s 5-a-side. U9's-U-12's 9-a-side. Then starting @U14s they start playing 11 competitive football.
    In Monaghan we already have such a system. U8s and U10s play a summer 7-a-side non-competitive league and then in september the U-12 9-a-side league runs until March this is also non-competitive.
    Our Monaghan United side has only started playing competitively this season at U13's which isn't far off the status quo in Europe.

And when does your senior team plan on doing this

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://euro2012.irishexaminer.com/an...nd-197692.html

"Interestingly, around the same time as Trapattoni took the Irish job, there was a superficial attempt to do the same within the FAI. One official was given a mandate to implement a clear pyramid coaching structure, the key to ensuring that young players are properly schooled and none fall through the gaps.

The key quote of the first meeting arranged to discuss it? “Why bother? It’s a political nightmare.”

This is the problem with Irish football. We have a situation where there is no pyramid. There are only vested interests, best illustrated in the fact that, rather than provide a link to each other and natural progression for young players, junior and senior clubs squabble over signatures because it might mean more money from his eventual departure to Britain. As that same foreign coach said, “I’ve never seen a football structure as crazy as Ireland. It’s like the wild west.”

And the players? Well, as one official explains, “the benefit of the young lads just doesn’t come into it.”

Until then, we will qualify for tournaments by coincidence rather than design. And there is every chance we will be just as insignificant in them again."

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I've been away for the past 10 days and missed all the euro's. seems to have panned out much as I had expected. trap is a $hit manager picking $hit players.

as for the reasons behind the 3rd world Irish football structure, and the best ways to solve it?
    We need a coup detat (sp) of the FAIlures to overhaul the junior football scene here who have the countries football talent at their disposal.
    I played schoolboy & junior football in dublin for nigh on 20 years and never met anyone in "authority" who was remotley interested in the benefits to the LOI.
    None saw the progression of players from schoolboy/junior level to the League of Ireland as the natural order of things. instead they were after the financial gains , both for their clubs and ultimately themselves.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

10. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    I laugh when hear that "Irish fans are the best in the World". Don't get me wrong it's great the amount of Irish fans that travelled to the Euro's and singing of Fields of Athenry showed good spirit, but anyone can go to a big tournament, jump on the bandwagon, have the craic and sing a few songs, but it seems to me the majority of the "best fans in the world" can't support their local teams. Excuse will be made - no local team, Dublin league, poor standard, can't afford it, etc., some valid enough, most just from a lazy football fan. What these people don't realise if they bother getting off their couches/barstools and support Irish club teams week in week out, the standard and atmosphere would improve greatly.
    Most Irish people dont have the stamina and committment to support a team for a season (30+ games) which is the norm all over the world. By support I mean actually go and activley particptate (not barstool). Every sport in Ireland suffers from this.

If they did, they certainly would not have disgraced the nation behaving like they did in the stands when we were getting the humping of humpings against Spain.

I was mortified and disgusted at what I saw both on and off the pitch. A point made elsewhere on this thread is very valid .... ask any fan of an English team, would they be jumping up and down, laughing and cheering, hands in the air singing, Blue Moon /I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles/Glory Glory Man United/Fields of Anfield Road or whatever, if their beloved club side was having the **** ripped out of them by Barca or Madrid or someone?

Like hell they would. But because they dont go every week, they wouldn't understand that, would they. We are a laughing stock, a joke among all real football supporters all over Europe and thats before they even comment on our players.

Can you imagine how the Italian supporters and Croatian supporters woud have reacted to their team if they put in two heartless, pathetic and inept performances like we did? And then ask ourselves this..Do you think our heros fear the reaction from the 'Best Supporters in the World'? Do they even care?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote of the day from a lad I know that was in Gdansk ...
    "The chants were class, I never heard them before ... they had this one about a fella called Gary Breen. He was a player or someone that played 1 game and scored a goal, so they sing about him like the yellow submarine"
    Seen this on a mates facebook page, sums up the barstoolers!!! nothing beats the thrill of a live game and watching your local team win, bring me back to st mels park!!!

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    The best atmosphere I ever had at a game was the Shamrock rovers v Spurs game last year - 90 minutes of singing, standing and fun - have gone to ireland games and was at the 2002 world cup - fun and craic but not a real football supporting experience, and jesus I wish they would come up with some more songs than ole ole, u never beat the irish and TFOA

edit - that includes my usual 12/15 games a season here and back home

by the way - i always love the atmosphere at inchicore during big euro nights
    Last edited by bennocelt; 18/06/2012 at 10:36 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Jeepers lads- a bit of perspective here. This is only the second time we ever qualified for this tournament. If that counts as a crisis we'll not be seeing good times any time soon. Yeah the Spanish thrashed us but they're one of the best teams in recent years. They choose their players mostly from two of the best clubs in the world. Our highest finishing player was Duff with Fulham in 9th in the premiership. This is probably the weakest Ireland squad ever to make it to a tournament, an achievement in itself.

Yes there are big problems with the game in Ireland and the structure of the game needs reworked. As for the idea that the FAI should not focus resources on the national team- where do you think their income comes from? It's the senior side that pays for everything else the FAI does. But hey, because things in the league are bad we resent anyone else getting anything.

And on the singing in Gdansk- what do people want us to do? Riot? Boo? Have you never supported a team who were beaten in a big game and where the fans sang out of mournfulness, pride and undimmed allegiance? Have you never even seen it from the fans of a team that's relegated in the premiership?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Jeepers lads- a bit of perspective here. This is only the second time we ever qualified for this tournament. If that counts as a crisis we'll not be seeing good times any time soon. Yeah the Spanish thrashed us but they're one of the best teams in recent years. They choose their players mostly from two of the best clubs in the world. Our highest finishing player was Duff with Fulham in 9th in the premiership. This is probably the weakest Ireland squad ever to make it to a tournament, an achievement in itself.
    Isnt this the problem? We shouldnt say sure our players all play with crap clubs its grand, we should be questioning why we aren't producing players of a high enough standard any more

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    As for fans singing at the end as a 'we're down but not broken' statement, thats fine and understandable.

But what I cannot understand is the shots of all the jumping up and down, laughing, partying that went on as we were in the middle of a humping of biblical proportions. As for the guy who did the mock crying gesture to the camera... sums it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    C'mon Italy, I've got them backed (-1) tonight... show no mercy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    So "superfan" John Delaney wants UEFA to make an award to the Irish supporters

Would that be the gallant/mad few that travel the lenght and breath of the country supporting our clubs and keeping senior football alive in Ireland ? No.

Would it be the thousands that give up time (and money) to sustain the junior/schoolboy ranks ? No.

It is of course for the Leprechaun clad, face painted hoardes who convert every finals into a week long stag party on the **** with their mates. Numpties that rush to the nearest camera to tell how they travelled "X thousand miles in a camper van" to support the lads.Unfortunately they have never managed to travel the 2/3 miles to see their local club play. Ole, Ole and sure if/when "we" lose at least the pubs over here are still open.

............ and the special UEFA award for the best ****ed up rendition of a song about the famine goes to ..........

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Best respone ive ever seen haha totally agree mate

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    agreed, top response, hope u dont mind if i repost that on my fbook page?

22. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    There were loads of LOI fans out at the games. And if people want to go out for a bit of a party and support their country at the same time, what of it? I don't see why they're suddenly morally bound to go to LOI games. It would be great if they did of course. But I don't understand the massive level of resentment from some people on here.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    There were loads of LOI fans out at the games. And if people want to go out for a bit of a party and support their country at the same time, what of it? I don't see why they're suddenly morally bound to go to LOI games. It would be great if they did of course. But I don't understand the massive level of resentment from some people on here.
    I just have an issue with people saying the irish are the best supporters in the world on Thursday and ANOTHER LOI club going bust on Monday.

25. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    They're not morally bound to go to LoI games. However, they can't expect to moan about the quality of players available, coaching, the lack of players coming through etc etc without having to face up their lack of support for football is a contributory factor. They can say "the fai should do this" and "LoI clubs should do that", but until they bother their hole supporting the domestic game they are very much part of the problem. Not the whole problem, but part of it nonetheless.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

27. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast