Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Darren Potter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Darren Potter

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...40817-1132.htm

To be shown the door by your boyhood idols at the tender age of 15 is enough to shatter the dreams of any aspiring young footballer. But for Liverpool's newest debutante Darren Potter it served only as an inspiration.
    Although now fully committed to the red cause, the 19-year old midfielder does not hide the fact that his allegiances once lay with the blue half of Merseyside. Nor does he deny that it was once his ambition to purse a professional career with Everton.

A fan of the Toffees from birth, Potter's fledgling football career was spent under the watchful eye of the Goodison Park youth coaches.

But for reasons best known to themselves the former Liverpool schoolboys captain was released from their centre of excellence four years ago.

It's a decision they could well live to regret.

Rather than let disillusionment set in Potter refused to dwell on this rejection and, after a brief spell with Blackburn, set about relaunching his career on the right side of Stanley Park.

"It's true I was released by Everton at the age of 15," he recalls. "They let a whole lot of us go, only three were kept on, but looking back it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

"As strange as it sounds, I wasn't too bothered to be honest, it didn't affect me in the slightest. I went on trial at Blackburn and then joined Liverpool. Since making the switch I'd say my game has improved and a lot of people have said as much."

Potter quickly rose through the ranks of the Liverpool Academy, where he was a member of Dave Shannon's all-conquering under-17 team that went through the season unbeaten in 2002/03.

His progress was such that it was not long before he was fast-tracked to Melwood where he began training with the first team squad on a full-time basis at the start of last season and he adds: "I think my game has come on even more since moving to Melwood," says Potter.

Those who have followed his career closely will surely agree and Steven Gerrard is just one influential senior figure at the club to have spoken glowingly about the highly-rated youngster.

When asked at the end of last season if there was any up and coming youngsters ready to breakthrough in much the same way he did, Potter was one of the players singled out by the Liverpool captain.

In turn, Potter cites Gerrard as one individual he looks up to at Anfield but stresses he's his own man.

"The likes of Steven Gerrard and the other homegrown lads, are the type of players I look up to but I wouldn't say they've had a big influence on me," he says.

"You have to have your own willingness to push on and do what you can do and hopefully follow in their footsteps."

Amid all the transfer talk that has engulfed Anfield this summer the news that Potter recently signed a new contract with the club went almost unnoticed.

After an impressive last season for the Reds' second string he was rewarded with an extension to his existing contract shortly before reporting back to Melwood for pre-season training.

The new deal ties him to the club until 2007 and, not surprisingly, he was delighted to sign.

"I didn't expect three years to be honest. I was expecting two but three is a bonus for me and great news.

"I found out about the new contract two days after I got back from holiday. I wouldn't say I was uncertain about my future as I still had 12 months left on my old contract but I was just looking to get something tied up for a longer period of time.

"Now I've signed it's a bit of stability for me. The coaching staff have obviously been impressed with the way I've played and I'm pleased that my efforts have been recognised."

When Liverpoolfc.tv spoke to Potter earlier this summer he told us his ambition for the coming season was to 'just get a game in the first team'.

A run-out in the Carling Cup was what he had in mind but with the new campaign just a few days old he's already exceeded those expectations by coming on to make his senior debut in the final fewminutes of the Champions League qualifier in Graz last week.

"It did take me a bit by surprise," he admits. "I knew earlier in the week that I was going to be travelling with the squad but I was given no inclination that I'd actually play. Once I was named on the bench though I had as much chance of coming on as anyone but it still came out of the blue when I was sent on. It was brilliant to be given that chance and I felt great afterwards.

"I think it went alright. I was only on for about five minutes and managed just a couple of touches. As a contest the game was over and the other players were really tired so it was quite easy to step in. It was a nice way to breakthrough and hopefully more opportunities will come my way this season.

"I haven't spoke to the boss much but he told me he was pleased with what he's seen of me, that I had plenty of time on my hands and I should just keep pushing on."

Regular visitors to Liverpool reserve games over the past year or so will know all about the qualities Potter possesses but for those who are yet to see him in action, just what are his strengths as a player?

"I'd like to think I'm quite good on the ball and a decent passer and not a bad tackler. I don't score enough though that's the problem so maybe that's another target for me this year to score more goals."

Potter's impressive progressive has also earned him recognition at international level, where he's aiming to follow in the footsteps of Kop legend John Aldridge.

Despite being a born and bred Scouser who hails from the Scotland Road area of this city, it's in the green of Ireland rather than the white of England that he plies his trade internationally.

He explains: "I think they realised that I had Irish grandparents and seeing as nothing had happened with England they approached me. As soon as the opportunity came along I just took it."It's a decision I've never regretted, in fact it's one of the best decisions I have made. I've made two appearances now for the under-21s and hopefully I can add to that."

The prospect of another locally-born youngster breaking through the Anfield ranks is an exciting one and if Darren Potter can continue to produce the kind of form we've seen of him so far, expect to hear a lot more about him over the coming months.

A boyhood Evertonian he may have been but so to was Ian Rush, Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler, Jamie Carragher and Michael Owen.

Let's hope Potter can follow in their footsteps because it certainly didn't do them any harm!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    My Scouse friends rave about this young man. I expect him to be an established senior international squad player in the next three years. Isn't it nice to have these options?

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    geeked it up and read Liverpool reserve team match reports on liverpoolway.co.uk last season (i'm not even a Liverpool fan, i really should get a life) but anyway they love Potter and Partridge. By sounds of it those lads should be knocking on the first team door this season. Was never going to happen under Houllier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    geeked it up and read Liverpool reserve team match reports on liverpoolway.co.uk last season (i'm not even a Liverpool fan, i really should get a life)
    I read a load of pre-season reports to see how the Irish were getting on so you're not alone.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    geeked it up and read Liverpool reserve team match reports on liverpoolway.co.uk last season (i'm not even a Liverpool fan, i really should get a life) but anyway they love Potter and Partridge. By sounds of it those lads should be knocking on the first team door this season. Was never going to happen under Houllier.
    yeah Patridge is nearly back to full fitness and Benitez seems to be keen to give the Academy lads a run so hopefully he'll get a chance to shine
    We are the Wanderers from Bray