Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Team for Bugaria game

With the players who are out I would go with:

Given

Carr
    Cunningham
    O'Shea (playing there cause O'Brien is injured)
    Finnan

A. Reid
    Keane
    Miller
    Duff

Macken
    Morrison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien

Given

Carr
    Cunningham
    Finnan

A. Reid
    Keane
    Miller
    Duff

Macken
    Morrison
    I mostly agree with you (this is getting to be a habit - should I be worried? ) but I'd play the poison dwarf instead of Macken, at least for the first half. I think his all-round mobility and tendency to come in from deep (like Robbie Keane) would work better in combination with Clinton. I know Macken gives us an aerial option up front, but I'd like to see how Connolly currently rates in the lead forward role.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    I mostly agree with you (this is getting to be a habit - should I be worried? ) but I'd play the poison dwarf instead of Macken, at least for the first half. I think his all-round mobility and tendency to come in from deep (like Robbie Keane) would work better in combination with Clinton. I know Macken gives us an aerial option up front, but I'd like to see how Connolly currently rates in the lead forward role.

PP
    Fair enough but the only reason I really threw Macken in there was because he hasn't played for us before and I think it might be good to get a look at him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given

Carr
    Cunningham
    Finnan

A. Reid
    Keane
    Miller
    Duff

Macken
    Morrison

Solid enough selection. Would give Miller and Kilbane a half each in centre of the park. O'shea still at left full and Breen at Centre Half. Also agree with PP and would start Connolly and Morrison up front to see how we cope in Robbie's absence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    _____________________Given_____________________

Carr_______Cunningham_______Breen________O'Shea

Reid/Miller_______Keane_______Kavanagh_______Duff

__________Connolly______Macken/Morrison_________

Fergie plays Keane in centre back because he has no confidence in O'Shea at CB and either do I, even though its only a friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Given
    Carr Cunningham Breen O'Shea
    Miller Kilbane Keane Duff
    Connolly Morrision

tbh this is our last friendly before we play the qualifiers and while it'd be nice to get a look at some others I think we should start with the team that'll bear most resemblance (play most like) that which will start in those games.

With half an hour to go I'd make the following subs to have a look...

Barrett/Miller
    Kavanagh/Kilbane
    Reid/Duff
    Finnan/O'Shea
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree with the last post, I think in midfield we have quite a few good options but to be honest there is only 2 places available in the irish team in my opinion

Given

Carr Cunningham O Brien O Shea

Miller Keane Space Duff

Keane Space

Robbies place will be taken by Connolly tonight and Morrison will probably play upfront. Macken will then come on at some point to get a run and his first cap. Kilbane will take the space in midfield that is between him and Holland. Reid will come on for either Duff or Miller depending on who needs the run out more. Breen will probably start instead of O Brien but he may take a look at Finnan at left back and O Shea at centre back, but then again Breen has not played in ages, so he will need a game under his belt too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The way that QPR players ran straight throught the heart of the Sunderland defense on Saturday to score two goals, doesn't augur well for Breens international future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex
    The way that QPR players ran straight throught the heart of the Sunderland defense on Saturday to score two goals, doesn't augur well for Breens international future.
    Well you have a choice between Breen and Doc. They are both certainly better at the back than O'Shea but O'Shea's still only 23.

Its a pity Dunne didn't get a call up when Kerr heard about O'Brien.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    For Bulgaria:

Given

Carr Cunningham O’Shea Finnan

Reid Kavanagh Keane Duff

Lee Connolly/Morrison

In O’Brien’s absence I think O’Shea is worth another look at centre-half. We can’t rule him out just because he was poor in Basle. He was beside Breen that day but Cunningham tends to bring out the best in less experienced partners.

I think Finnan deserves a look at left back. Has he ever played left back for Ireland?

Reid is playing better than Miller at the moment.
    I’d like to see Kavanagh start alongside Keane, though I think Miller may get the nod and Kavanagh may come on to replace Keane.

Lee must start ahead of Macken otherwise it’ll send out a bad message. I only saw scraps of Cardiff’s game on Friday and Lee seemed to do OK, a few very good knock downs and lay offs.

I’d expect all 4 forwards to get at least 25 minutes.

Any permutation of Kav, Miller, Kilbane, Reid and Duff could finish the game. Keane won’t play more than 60 minutes and I don’t think Quinn or Maybury should feature.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    For Bulgaria:

Given

Carr Cunningham O’Shea Finnan

Reid Kavanagh Keane Duff

Lee Connolly/Morrison
    Although I admit to having seen relitively little of Kavanagh, I find it hard to accept that a 1st division player, who is coming to the end of his career should start ahead of a youngster who has just forced himself into the ManUre team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would at some point like to see him use a five man midfield leaving a lone striker up front as we may well end up doing this for real if we are protecting a lead away from home. In this case it would be wise to leave Morrison up front on his own and look to use Kav as an extra man in midfield (capable of scoring, good passer and can run from midfield). Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen as Stuttgart88 points out Keane will play no more than 60 (i'd be suprised to see him for the second half.) Feel that it is a chance that will be missed out on and trying it in freindlies later in the campaign will be largely pointless as our two hardest away games will be over by then.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Although I admit to having seen relitively little of Kavanagh, I find it hard to accept that a 1st division player, who is coming to the end of his career should start ahead of a youngster who has just forced himself into the ManUre team.
    I have said this so many times. If Miller was 30 and Kavanagh was 23 everyone would be calling for Kavanagh to partner Keane. Robert Earnshaw hardly scored when Kavanagh was injured at the end of last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kav is rated by many managers as being the best midfielder in the second flight. Was regularly impressed by him when he was with Stoke and have seen him play a couple of times for Cardiff and has carried on this form. Equally thought he played well against Brazil so he is worth a go. Don't forget by the time of the World Cup he will ony be 33 years old even the next Euros he will only be 35 so will have something to offer. Worth looking at.

Its the grey hair that makes him look old but he's had that since I remember first noticing him at Stoke.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Carnstein, I just think at this point in time Kavanagh might do better than Miller, though he’s clearly not for the long term. A fully fit Miller alongside Keane would probably do well, though I’d have some worries about Miller without Keane as I think he has difficulty imposing himself. I also don’t think it’s quite right to say Miller has “forced” his way into MU’s team.

Radio 5 Live described Miller on Sunday as being “neat and tidy, nothing more”. Kavanagh is at least that and is more robust. In fact I think it’s very odd that he was overlooked in favour of Kinsella for so long in the 90s. I’ve seen quite a bit of Kavanagh over the years and have always liked what I saw. In his one recent chance for Ireland he did pretty well against Brazil. Lack of pace could be a weakness.

Wide right could be Miller’s best position, though it’ll be hard to displace Reid from this spot if Duff starts on the left.

They’re not easy choices but it’s good that we have options. Judging by the range of views on the board the team far from picks itself.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Kav suffered from his loyalty to Stoke. Should have moved on like Kinsella and have played his early career at a higher level. Admittedly his teams have been in the 1st and 2nd divisions but he has always been at the hub of the action in any club game i've seen him play. Was a little surprised by the poorness of his delivery against Brazil however. Worth a look but behind Kilbane and Holland in the centre of the park for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a small point on Kav's loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    I think Kav suffered from his loyalty to Stoke. Should have moved on like Kinsella and have played his early career at a higher level. Admittedly his teams have been in the 1st and 2nd divisions but he has always been at the hub of the action in any club game i've seen him play. Was a little surprised by the poorness of his delivery against Brazil however. Worth a look but behind Kilbane and Holland in the centre of the park for me.
    Can't agree with you here, for along time when he was with Stoke (post Icelandic take over) they looked like a side that had both the financial power and ambition to do better, with Kav at the heart of this. Before the 2002 World Cup he said that he wished to leave Stoke to improve his chances of getting into the Ireland team for Japan and Korea, fair enough. Where did he end up? Cardiff, a club in the same division as Stoke with about the same horizons and ambition.

Was at the Stoke v Cardiff game when he returned to the Brittania and believe me the people around me didn't believe that he had shown much loyalty (we're not talking the usual 'Judas' or 'City reject' chants but real venom - the subject of Kav is still pretty much taboo in O' Banton mansions)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    Was a little surprised by the poorness of his delivery against Brazil however.
    Yeah, his set pieces were poor against Brazil but he must have impresssed Kerr in training to be first choice free kick taker in his first match under Kerr. He takes Cardiff's set pieces and they are always very accurate. I was looking at the Irish times yesterday and he was only behind Reid with the amount of crosses this season and also in the top 3/4 players with shots and shots on target (8 with 5 on target AFAIK). Plus he has an assist.

BTW, I'd recommend the Irish Times sports section on a monday to see how the Irish are getting on at club level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry Pat, didn't mean to bring up a sore point. Perhaps loyalty wasn't word, but he certainly has played a lot of football at lower level despite being at least as good as Kinsella IMO. I always just put it down to loyalty, lack of ambition or liking being the big fish in a small pond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From the FAI website

Team (Probable): Given (Newcastle United); Carr (Newcastle United), Breen (Sunderland), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United); Miller (Manchester United), Keane (Manchester United), Quinn (Sheffield United), Reid (Nottingham Forest); Duff (Chelsea), Morrison (Birmingham City).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast