Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team for Bugaria game

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Duff up front, eh? Carnstien, Slash/Ed, I'm guessing you're going to have something to say on the matter.

Have to say it's not my ideal if I'm honest. Quinn? Good as he was against Holland he's been a bit part player at the Blades this season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    Duff up front, eh? Carnstien, Slash/Ed, I'm guessing you're going to have something to say on the matter.

Have to say it's not my ideal if I'm honest. Quinn? Good as he was against Holland he's been a bit part player at the Blades this season.
    Not the greatest team selection in my opinion. There's nothing in there surprising or nothing to suggest that Kerr is thinking on a higher plane than any of the fans.

I will shoot myself if he plays Duff up front in the qualifiers, it really is suicide, I don't care what anyone says. My estimation of any manager plumits when they do something so stupid, even if it is just a friendly.

Please don't come back to me after we win saying that Kerr was right to play Duff up there because we will win either way. I would however suggest that it would be by a much higher goal margin if the worlds best left winger was not played as a striker, he may as well not be on the pitch at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Team (Probable): Given (Newcastle United); Carr (Newcastle United), Breen (Sunderland), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United); Miller (Manchester United), Keane (Manchester United), Quinn (Sheffield United), Reid (Nottingham Forest); Duff (Chelsea), Morrison (Birmingham City).
    I'm not happy to see that. FAI.ie are usually accurate with their probable team which means if Keane's out for the Swizz match he's planning to play Duff up front. Quinn in the centre is a bit odd considering the options.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I will shoot myself if he plays Duff up front in the qualifiers
    Come on Brian, Duff upfront v Cyprus!
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    What's the FAI doing publishing a "probable" team? That's for the press to do. The FAI's job is to publish the actual team.

I wonder was this the "first XI" in training today?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod
    Come on Brian, Duff upfront v Cyprus!
    I'd say he's going to play a 4-3-3 with Duff and Reid supporting Morrisson.

Given

Carr Cunningham Breen O'Shea

Miller Keane Quinn

Reid Morrisson Duff

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    I'd say he's going to play a 4-3-3 with Duff and Reid supporting Morrisson.

Given

Miller Keane Quinn

Reid Morrisson Duff
    I wouldnt be surprised if he played a 4-2-3-1 formation either.

Given

Keane Quinn

Miller Reid Duff

Morrisson
    Last edited by colster; 18/08/2004 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowsy
    Sorry Pat, didn't mean to bring up a sore point. Perhaps loyalty wasn't word, but he certainly has played a lot of football at lower level despite being at least as good as Kinsella IMO. I always just put it down to loyalty, lack of ambition or liking being the big fish in a small pond.
    No probs mate, more a sore point for Mrs O' Banton who used to find his grey hair 'distingushed' v. upset when he left. Think it was either a lack of ambition (v. strange considering a move to a big first division club may have gained him more reconition and at least some chance of a call up for the World Cup.) or Cardiff offered him a deal that was too temping to turn down, don't know which.
    In the third flight he stood out by a country mile when he really put his mind to it and really should have moved to a higher. Don't know if Megson wasn't looking to take him to West Brom when he started there which with hindsight would have done him the world of good.
    Last edited by Pat O' Banton; 17/08/2004 at 4:26 PM.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think playing Alan Quinn is a good idea, even with Keane back in the side we are really short on quality in the middle of the park. I hope he also tries Kilbane in the center as well.

As for Duff, I'm not a fan of Duff up front but he has actually been one of our better goal scoreres under Kerr with 4. I think Duff at least is more consistent that Connolly.

Hoping that Reid cements his place and Miller plays well.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Team (Probable): Given (Newcastle United); Carr (Newcastle United), Breen (Sunderland), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United); Miller (Manchester United), Keane (Manchester United), Quinn (Sheffield United), Reid (Nottingham Forest); Duff (Chelsea), Morrison (Birmingham City).
    Daycent team, even if it does have Gary Breen in it. Good to see Alan Quinn getting a look in, he was impressive against the Dutch.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kavanagh

I'd give Kavanagh a run in midfield. Seems a bit hard. In a good way. Deserves another chance. I'm happy enough, don't take this wrong, Holland is out tomorrow cos he'd have gotten the spot. I like a tough midfield, Keano/Kavanagh with a couple of nippy fellahs on the wing, Reid, Miller. Duff in the pocket. Take your pick up front as the lone striker. Its a friendly after all. Kerr has his team picked already for the real deal. I hate to be the eternal optimist but I feel this team will be the best Irish team ever despite the glaring need for a new striker.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    If anyone could cut & paste Emmet Malone's match preview here I'd really appreciate it. I can only get the Irish Times 1 day late over here.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands
    I like a tough midfield, Keano/Kavanagh with a couple of nippy fellahs on the wing
    Personnally I think the most important attributes for a central midfielder are to be able to pass the ball well and to be very comfortable on the ball, as they see more of the ball than any other player. I'm not sure Kavanagh falls into that bracket, but three players who certainly do are Miller, Reid and O'Shea, which is why I think one of them should partner Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    but three players who certainly do are Miller, Reid and O'Shea, which is why I think one of them should partner Keane.
    You really need to get over this love-in you have with O'Shea.
    I don't see any evidence that he can pass better than Kav.
    A midfield player may also need to put his foot on the ball and control the pace of the game by holding it up in midfield. O'Shea get's caught in possession too often to be successful in that role.
    My biggest problem with O'Shea though is that he never seems to try for Ireland. Perhaps he believed the hype about himself and felt that being a Man Yoo boy assured him of his place.
    Until he shows the right attitude, I'd prefer not to see him start for Ireland.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Personnally I think the most important attributes for a central midfielder are to be able to pass the ball well and to be very comfortable on the ball
    That's exactly what Kavanagh does well. He also receives a ball well and makes himself available at all times. His willingness to take responsibility is a very valuable attribute, especially as the bulk of our side is quite youing

His dead-balls were uncharacteristically poor against Brazil, as he's a very good striker of a dead ball too and is probably as good as we have from set-pieces in Harte's absence.

As you said yourself, you haven't seen much of him. Maybe a good 45 mins from him tonight could change your mind? I'd personally like to see him given a chance to prove himself alongside Keane. If he doesn't perform then so be it. I think these two would make a more formidable core than the wide open space afforded by Holland and Healy in Basle last year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    My biggest problem with O'Shea though is that he never seems to try for Ireland. Perhaps he believed the hype about himself and felt that being a Man Yoo boy assured him of his place.
    Until he shows the right attitude, I'd prefer not to see him start for Ireland.
    I think you have it in for O'Shea just because he is a Man Yoo boy!

I don't support Man U, or any other English club, but O'Shea is a decent player and you should lay off him a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3
    I think you have it in for O'Shea just because he is a Man Yoo boy!
    I'd be more likely to have it in for a player because they were Spurs or Liverpool. No problem with Man Yoo as a football team.
    Get a great giggle out of listening to some of the nobs who "support" them though.
    O'Shea is a lánger from Waaahaaarrfurrrt which is reason enough for me to dislike him but it's his attitude in the green shirt of Ireland that bothers me. When we get back into town after the games there's always a deep discussion about players performances and O'Shea never fails to get the thumbs down, even from Man Yoo lovers. Perhaps some people who only get to see the games on TV don't see enough of him to form a valid opinion.
    If I see him play well for Ireland I'll have no problem posting here to say so.
    As yet though, I haven't seen that.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I'd personally like to see him given a chance to prove himself alongside Keane. If he doesn't perform then so be it. .
    OK but in fairness it I was playing alongside Keane I would look class. Remember how great Kinsella and Holland looked with Keane beside them? When he was taken away they were lost. We need a player who can do the business with or without Keane and I doubt Kavanagh is one of them.

By the way I freely admit that I am biased against Kavanagh because of his age and the fact that he has played most of his career in the 2nd division. I just don't see the point in throwing him in at this stage. If he is good enough he should have been in there 10 years ago.

And I still believe that O'Shea is the best man to partner Roy, no matter what the ManUre haters think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Team Just names, as follows:-

As per FAI site..

Republic of Ireland: Given; Finnan, Cunningham, Doherty, O'Shea; Miller, Keane, Kilbane, Duff; Reid, Morrison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB
    Team Just names, as follows:-
    Which will line-out as follows:

--------------Given---------------
    Finnan-Doherty-Cunningham-O'Shea
    ----Miller--Keane-Kilbane--Reid----
    --------------Duff----------------
    ------------Morrisson-------------