Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Failure to deliver in Poznan could push Keane into the margins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts

Failure to deliver in Poznan could push Keane into the margins

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-3133691.html

I couldn't help but think of this article when Keane went off. Thought Doyle was unlucky to go off first. Does the journalist have a point?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Yes but not for the reasons most people are thinking. To progress I think we need to modernise our formation i.e. 3 man midfield with a lone striker. Keane isn't a midfielder and he isn't a lone striker, the type of poacher 10 role he plays is a dead role the game has left behind.

I wouldn't expect that change this tournament but I think pushing into the next campaign we'd be foolish to stick with 4-4-2

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking too.

I think the problem facing Trap or any manager is that picking our best XI might involve dropping some of our best players - which sounds counter-intuitive. Our best players (exc. defenders) are probably our wide players and Keane, but accomodating them in a way that suits them means the team balance is not what's required in the modern game, where 4-5-1 variants are en vogue.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Where are your goals going to come from in that modern formation? Keane has had one poor competitive game (in a game where arguably only Andrews gets credit), he scored seven goals in qualification. The speed at which people want to dump him is amazing. Remember back in 2005 we didn't need him because we had Stephen Elliot. Italy showed you don't necessarily have to play 4-5-1 these days. No surprise the Indo are pedalling this line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatJR View Post
    Where are your goals going to come from in that modern formation? Keane has had one poor competitive game (in a game where arguably only Andrews gets credit), he scored seven goals in qualification. The speed at which people want to dump him is amazing. Remember back in 2005 we didn't need him because we had Stephen Elliot. Italy showed you don't necessarily have to play 4-5-1 these days. No surprise the Indo are pedalling this line.
    There isn't any surprise it right but they were correct regards the way the game unfolded for Keane. A fair point was made though in relation to Italia '90 when Charlton had to make a similar decision. Trap is backing Keane anyways so that is that.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Well I don't accept the Frank Stapleton comparison. I don't recall Frank playing a big role and certainly not scoring in the 1990 qualifiers. Trap is 100% right to back Keane.