Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Historical Context

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Mexico and Holland (Orlando) I'd say. We were also well beaten by Italy in Rome. Egypt doesn't come in to the equation. England and super duper Holland also had miserable games against them but that's forgotton by some.
    I thought we did more than okay against the Dutch at WC90 and deserved the draw.
    I still have that memory and am not prepared to alter it for reality dose purposes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    After the game I was pretty despondent. Leaving the stadium I just felt my energy wilt as I looked around all the fans crouched in their seats with despair.
    My self and the other lad walked back to the city and it was remarkable what a good walk does for your mood.

We went out and had a great night in the city with everyone else that was there. There was no point in my eyes, heading back to the hotel and being miserable. I can be miserable heading the match reports the next day flying to London.

As for the Spain game, like Stutts I feel there's going to be a response. Whether that response means we win or draw I don't know.
    But we can only hope. The nervousness that cloaked the team the other night should have lifted by then.

I can't wait to get back to Dublin tomorrow morning and soak it up.

COYBIG!!!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I thought we did more than okay against the Dutch at WC90 and deserved the draw.
    I still have that memory and am not prepared to alter it for reality dose purposes
    We could hold our own against big teams then, but we only equalised when Van Bruykelen dropped a misplaced backpass from a Packie punt!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Also for the last 20 odd mins of that game both teams were content with a draw, as the group situation meant both would go through.

5. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I was talking about Holland '94 and the 2-0 stuffing we got there. Far bigger hiding than we got from Croatia on Sunday. That's probably the most comprehensive defeat we got at a tournament. I have this vision of Terry Phelan chasing Dutch shadows down the wing and he was no slouch,
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    The question/disappointment for me is will we play as well in this tournament as we are capable of doing. It seems to me the answer is no - & its that knowledge that brings the despondency to fans.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Agree with Paddy, though I still believe. Dem Spanish won't have played anything like us!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    It will be no shame if we come home with zero points from the three games. Perhaps we can play more football (we tried some in the first three minutes, gave the ball away and the rest is history), may be there could be some change in personnel (Coleman out for much of the latter part of the season or McLean with no experience unproven at international level) but would they really make much of a difference and prop up a defence with a Leicester City sometime first team player, a relegated Wolves full back, a just avoided relegation centre half/goal keeper and a Man U reject. No disrespect to these players but you'd swear we are almost on a level with Spain and all we need to do is release the great talent in the squad held back by Trap and we're guaranteed a semi-final at least. The fact that we concede so few goals (up to Sunday's flukes) is because of our system and change that in the hope of taking these teams on with Andrews and Whelan, I just don't know. I wouldn't mind either or both Coleman/McLean in the team but how much better than the sum of Duff/McGeady they would be is marginal.

I too get frustrated with some of Trap's selections (Green in the squad instead of Hoolahan) but he picks the players for the system and I have to respect his judgement. It is amazing as fans (and I include myself here) that we think we know so much more than the manager with his numerous trophies and decades of experience. All I have ever controlled is my bowel movements and that is getting harder with age and the prospect of tomorrow's game.

My worst nightmare is both Cox and Green being on the pitch at the same time because that will open the floodgates for the sizable anti-Trap brigade if things so pear shaped. No, it could be worse if Keane misses a chance since that will also give scope to the large anti-Keane baying mob in waiting.

Is there any other international manager I'd like to see in charge of Ireland tomorrow for a game against Spain? Probably not. Who knows, there could be a Trap waiting for Spain. Imagine though, if we lose we could be as bad as the Netherlands with 0 points!! Disgrace.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Well said, Owls.
    Still, it isn't about "Shame", but more about progress, and 0 points means that although we went to the dance, we went home early.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123