Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How depressed are you?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagger View Post
    I was able to ask Ernie Stewart a question about this once. He is technical director at AZ Alkmaar. Every month he answers questions from the fans.
    Anyway, i asked him why does AZ Alkmaar not scout any players from Ireland, and does, for example scout in Iceland.

He said Irish players were not interesting enough, because they have to much competition from the English and Scottish teams.
    It's a shame, I mean look at how much McGeady has improved since he went to Russia.

But it's part of the Irish mentality. Didn't Gary Breen have the opportunity to go to Parma but Mick talked him out of it and told him to go to West Ham instead?

And Robbie Keane threw in the towel after a few months in Italy. If he had stayed he could have learned a thing or two from Lippi, instead of ending up with O'Leary at Leeds.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    but until we can produce a bona fide league of our own then no one is going to want to play in front of a couple of hundred on a Sunday.
    Actually LOI games are played on Fridays - and have been for years. 'A bona fide league' (?) is made viable by supporters. The onus is on fans to support teams in their own country. Unfortunately Irish fans are mostly lazy and unimaginative and can't see the link between following teams and those teams becoming better and more successful as a result of their support.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I don't see it happening without investment. I was in a hotel bar after the game on Sunday, 5 feet away from Denis O'Brien and his entourage. I wanted to ask him if he'd also redevelop Dalyer into a 35k moderrn footy stadium and give the FAI £5mm for each LOI club to develop facilities etc.

We also need to hire a whole host of eastern european coaches!

Joking aside, football infrastructure costs money. Footballers cost money and good players migrate to where they get paid. In big countries the money comes from all angles - benefactors, gates, commercial and most importantly TV. Irish rugby gets gates because the public can watch some of the world's best players every week. Arguably the best club team in the world plays in Dublin, and used to play in Limerick.

What chance does Ireland have of generating this in sufficient quantity to make a marked improvement? The income earned by the national team is being pi$$ed away on the Aviva financial commitments so there's no money there. Irish governments have never done anything for football, so it only leaves the benefactor route to financing player development, apart from the excellent work done by volunteers.

I still have no idea whether the FAI Technical Development Plan is (a) being rolled out, and (b) any good. Isn't Koevermans leaving?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Some Irish billioniare needs to buy Luton or some team like that, move the team to Dublin to play in Aviva, put money in it, and have a Prem team in Dublin a few years down the road.
    Why not?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Put your helmet on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Actually LOI games are played on Fridays - and have been for years. 'A bona fide league' (?) is made viable by supporters. The onus is on fans to support teams in their own country. Unfortunately Irish fans are mostly lazy and unimaginative and can't see the link between following teams and those teams becoming better and more successful as a result of their support.
    The FAI are lazy and unimaginative as well. I don't been to bang on about this but the league needs to cover more of the country. The FAI should be driving this on and working with the league clubs in the development of the game across the country.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Unfortunately it is a vicious circle. We complain about Irish players going to English clubs at a young age only for the vast majority of them to come home disillusioned. How do we prevent them from doing that? By having better coaching at home. Good coaching costs money. Who is going to provide the coaching at home? FAI? No chance. The clubs? They would if they could afford it but they can't because they have no money. Why don't they have any money? Because hardly anybody supports them.

Nothing will ever change until the coaching/facilities/league improve at home. Barring the Kevin Doyles and James McCleans, we have always relied on English clubs do coach our players. Since the Premier League has started, English clubs now find it easier to buy a ready made skillful "foreign" player on the cheap rather than to gamble the time/money on producing young English/Scottish/Irish players. England and Scotland are also suffering the same problem.

As I've said a hundred times on here, we only have to look in the mirror as to why this keeps happening. Most of us choose to support clubs in England because it's better, more exciting etc but refuse to support a LOI club because the LOI is shyte. Yes of course it's shyte but it's OUR shyte. And it will always be because it is not supported.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    Unfortunately it is a vicious circle. We complain about Irish players going to English clubs at a young age only for the vast majority of them to come home disillusioned. How do we prevent them from doing that? By having better coaching at home. Good coaching costs money. Who is going to provide the coaching at home? FAI? No chance. The clubs? They would if they could afford it but they can't because they have no money. Why don't they have any money? Because hardly anybody supports them.

Nothing will ever change until the coaching/facilities/league improve at home. Barring the Kevin Doyles and James McCleans, we have always relied on English clubs do coach our players. Since the Premier League has started, English clubs now find it easier to buy a ready made skillful "foreign" player on the cheap rather than to gamble the time/money on producing young English/Scottish/Irish players. England and Scotland are also suffering the same problem.

As I've said a hundred times on here, we only have to look in the mirror as to why this keeps happening. Most of us choose to support clubs in England because it's better, more exciting etc but refuse to support a LOI club because the LOI is shyte. Yes of course it's shyte but it's OUR shyte. And it will always be because it is not supported.
    .. and it's only in 13 out of 26 counties. Hardly representing or giving more of the country the chance to be involved in the game. A complete failure by the FAI.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The great thing about depression, it seems, is if you're deep enough you just go numb and stop feeling feelings. At least that's where I'm now residing.

/looking around

It's not so bad in this place.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I feel like Randy the morning after in that South Park episode about Obama getting elected.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    A lot of things died for me in these Euro's. My Dad died two days before Croatia, and I'm yet to see the game. The RTE panel died in front of my eyes tonight - when they're blaming Green on the final goal, it's time to go, and finally, the notion that we can compete under this manager died for me. All the strokes went with us in qualifying - from the group, to decisions, to other results, the play-off opponents - everything. But that was horrid tonight, compounding my depression. Hard to see a way back for some of the players after this.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    A lot of things died for me in these Euro's. My Dad died two days before Croatia, and I'm yet to see the game. The RTE panel died in front of my eyes tonight - when they're blaming Green on the final goal, it's time to go, and finally, the notion that we can compete under this manager died for me. All the strokes went with us in qualifying - from the group, to decisions, to other results, the play-off opponents - everything. But that was horrid tonight, compounding my depression. Hard to see a way back for some of the players after this.
    Sorry for your father, Kingdom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Sincere condolences Kingdom.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, Kingdom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Kingdom - sorry for your loss mate.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Some Irish billioniare needs to buy Luton or some team like that, move the team to Dublin to play in Aviva, put money in it, and have a Prem team in Dublin a few years down the road.
    Why not?
    Ignoring a rehash of the Dublin Dons argument (which was completely justified), how would it actually benefit the international team?

What makes you think it will be full of Irish players and make any difference for the national team? Best case scenario it'd contain a few tokens, a bit like London Irish. And what makes you think "the best fans in the world" would support it anyway? They're already more loyal to "their" English or Scottish club teams than the international team - hence we get embarrassing crap like booing opposition players based on English or Scottish club rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by legendz
    The FAI are lazy and unimaginative as well. I don't been to bang on about this but the league needs to cover more of the country. The FAI should be driving this on and working with the league clubs in the development of the game across the country.
    That's just excuse making. No club in my county, so I'll chose a Manchester/ Liverpool/ London/ Glasgow club which I also have no connection with? But hey, I can watch them down the pub with my mates and spend more on drink than I'd spend on petrol and gate money to my nearest club. Makes no sense.

The only way we are going to develop players is through a proper reform of football in this country. This means schoolboy/ junior and intermediate clubs feeding into our national league. It involves the FAI having competent people in place to overseas the players development. And yes, it does also require Irish people to support Irish clubs more. This will provide funds (the FAI must oversee the spending properly) and also provide the incentive for players to stay in Ireland rather than to be shipped out as a teenager and be lost to senior football forever. They can, and certainly could, make a good living here, and not going and/or coming back needn't be the end of the dream, as many players have shown in recent seasons. I can imagine there's a few players who came back and couldn't be arsed are now doubly depressed.

Finally, sorry for your loss Kingdom.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

17. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Sorry to hear of your loss my thoughts are with you and your family. It might be a game we love, but football is pretty insignificant compared to such things.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Kingdom, your sad loss puts this thread into perspective. My condolences to you and your family.

I’ve been unusually resigned, maybe even fatalistic, since the tournament began. I feared the worst against Croatia, and expected a drubbing against Spain. But I didn’t expect to see two performances so flat and insipid. This was football bereft of hope. I’ve always believed that a call to passion is the last refuge of the tactically inept, but we’ve been unable to muster even a semblance of our old zesty endeavour. That has been disappointing.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I was more down after the Croatia game as expectations had risen so high, after that performance there was always a nagging fear that last night could be horrible, and even though the optimism had returned before kick off the depression is not so deep. Spain are the best in the world and we are a limited team playing a rigid system that has been easily exposed by them, it's sad, but not unexpected.
    As Kingdom has illustrated, there are more important things than football, and I'd like to add my condolonces also.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Sorry for your loss K.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast