Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How depressed are you?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    [QUOTE=There are plenty of technically strong players coming out of Ireland - not as many as other countries - but they tend to get it coached out of them in order to improve their chances of succeeding in the agricultural leagues nextdoor.[/QUOTE]

Whether there are plenty of technically strong players or not in Iteland I don't know. I don't see them coming through. But I will agree that the English game does tend to coach it out of them. It's beginning to change in England with the influx of foreigners, and not before its time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Still disappointed but tend to look for sources of optimism. Before our kick-off in the tournament I had gear changes ranging from optimism to pessimism and unfortunately the pessimism view came to pass.
    On sources of optimism, the team was being written after losing to France in Croke Park. We hadn't a chance we were being told nor did many expect but we had that heroic performance before being cruelly denied. A month prior to that, we put up a good showing against Italy and possibly should have won. Irish teams have had habits of delivering when not expected, they've done the opposite as well mind. It's a big ask for Thursday night, the task is huge as well as the amount of luck required. The S.Indo called it right that Spain would give opportunities to be attacked. Italy did that. Even when being trying to be optimistic, it's hard to see how we will attack Spain. Still though, with all the pessimism in mind, which is probably realism, I'll definitely be hoping for the best on Thursday and possibly a miracle. We've had nights where things have gone horribly wrong, more so that what happened against Croatia. Hopefully not on Thursday. Portugal away towards the end of Jack Charlton stands out as a bad night, Holland in the play-off went according to negative expectations. Spain away in qualifying stands out positively in some respects, the game in Lansdowne Road did not. Spain racing into a 3 goal lead that night. Better be none of that on Thursday.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    http://jalopnik.com/5917286/i-witnes...cue-last-night

Close call for Irish fans in New York City. Why anyone no matter how drunk would fool around by the subway tracks is beyond me.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen View Post
    Another part that ****es me off is Croatia is the smallest country in the tournament; we're the second smallest. So we've managed to be manhandled (physically, technically, tactically) by the only team w/ a smaller talent pool, obliterating the "small country punching above our weight" angle that normally takes a bit of the edge off the pain. We're the oldest team in the tournament, where were the cool heads and composure that come with experience? Where the hell did this great belief in the camp go that we've been hearing about for weeks?
    I could be wrong but I don't think the Croatians have competition from sports as strongly followed and participated as GAA and Rugby. There are some seriously talented football stars in this country that when push comes to shove at a young age decide to go down the route of GAA or Rugby and also a large portion of footballers who get brought to England and get sent home after a few months or a year end up packing in football thinking they have missed their chance or will never make it.

The FAI does not protect or nurture talent in this country and depend too much on the English clubs to do it for them. Kids are now starting to be coached properly in Ireland at a much younger age but are still sent over to the UK with high hopes as soon as they hit 16 or 17. The quality players that have come through or are coming through for Ireland now are the ones that have done it the hard way, McClean, Coleman, Fahy, Ward, Doyle as a few examples and not to mention Hoolahan. The FAI will still refuse to acknowledge this though and will stick to what they have always done. The likes of Croatia on the other hand would not let this happen their players.

Until something is done to stop teams from the UK taking our best young players, using them and sending them home when they are surplus to requirements the sooner we will stop being forever reliant on a few hopefuls making the break through over there to supply our senior international team.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 11/06/2012 at 10:54 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Croatia and the rest of the Balkans have plenty of competition from other sports to football. Basketball, Tennis, Winter Sports, etc.

The difference in football is they have the facilities that we don't. As regards the general public though, crowds are not great, as Serie A is on their doorstep and followed like the EPL is here.

Still though, we played them when they were third in the world and beat them. The result last night was the first such result since injury time in 1999.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Still though, we played them when they were third in the world and beat them. The result last night was the first such result since injury time in 1999.
    If you remember they had nine players and we had 11.

Aside from that, the point here is that Croatia have actually coached their kids to play the correct way. No John O'Shea's or Stephen Wards and even Richard Dunne, who just hoof the ball long at every opportunity.

We are all about playing the 100 mile an hour game in Ireland, slaves to the English model. As one poster said earlier, things are beginning to change as far as coaching the kids properly. The sooner the better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    The FAI does not protect or nurture talent in this country and depend too much on the English clubs to do it for them. Kids are now starting to be coached properly in Ireland at a much younger age but are still sent over to the UK with high hopes as soon as they hit 16 or 17. The quality players that have come through or are coming through for Ireland now are the ones that have done it the hard way, McClean, Coleman, Fahy, Ward, Doyle as a few examples and not to mention Hoolahan. The FAI will still refuse to acknowledge this though and will stick to what they have always done. The likes of Croatia on the other hand would not let this happen their players.

Until something is done to stop teams from the UK taking our best young players, using them and sending them home when they are surplus to requirements the sooner we will stop being forever reliant on a few hopefuls making the break through over there to supply our senior international team.
    Interesting point. So having kept the kids home in Ireland, how do you distract their gaze from the bright lights of Premier League football. It's only natural for them to want to go there.

I agree totally that the English game has killed far too many Irish hopefuls, but until we can produce a bona fide league of our own then no one is going to want to play in front of a couple of hundred on a Sunday.

I would really like to see our promising young kids head to places like Holland, France and Belgium and if they're really good, Spain and Italy. But no one wants to take the first step in that direction. How can we change that?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    If you remember they had nine players and we had 11.
    We were 2-0 up long before they lost either player.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Interesting point. So having kept the kids home in Ireland, how do you distract their gaze from the bright lights of Premier League football. It's only natural for them to want to go there.

I agree totally that the English game has killed far too many Irish hopefuls, but until we can produce a bona fide league of our own then no one is going to want to play in front of a couple of hundred on a Sunday.

I would really like to see our promising young kids head to places like Holland, France and Belgium and if they're really good, Spain and Italy. But no one wants to take the first step in that direction. How can we change that?
    I
    I agree it is very hard to keep the younger lads from heading off as it can possibly be a great chance over. Some kind of law or rule to protect young players and their families from making rash decisions needs to come in. What exactly that rule would be would probably require a much more detailed debate. The Spanish and Dutch etc... Have no use for the Irish players as they prefer to work on their own younger players. English teams I feel look at Ireland more as somewhere else they may pick up a few talented players and nothing more. I've say it many times and I stick by it, if it's between a 17 year old Irish lad and a 17 year old English lad of similar talent they are always going to hang onto the English lad and send the Irish lad packing, which for a young lad can be heartbreaking and very disheartening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    When's the last time you watched a league game?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Couldnt agree more with JOFSpring - ive said it on here myself so many times that there is so much benefit to us holding onto the majority of our young playrs and feeding them into the LOI through an academy type structure (even some form of draft each year a la American NFL, a bit wishful or unrealistic maybe but it can be adjusted).

The best of the best will and should still move at younger ages to top english sides. But the massive exodus each year is detrimental to those kids and to us as a footballing nation. A stronger domestic league with young prospects will be better for all levels of football in the country right up to the national team. Imagine the pride of us picking players for a national squad with a few representatives from our own League - Bohs, Limerick, Sligo, Shamrock Rovers etc. It would be absolutely fantastic (not to mention in line with most of the rest of the world).

I wrote an essay about it a few years back on here but never saved the posts.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Ideally the coaching at home should be good.

But until it is why don't we encourage the young players to look further afield. Send them to Denmark, Holland, Germany, France. These countries have excellent coaching and encourage players to develop properly.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Because scouts in Denmark, Holland, Germany and France don't want them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I have no stats to prove this but I assume that the money on offer in the 2nd and 3rd tier of these countries is less than in England which is probably another factor (amoung many others) limiting the number of young Ireland players going to these countries.
    Less money, no other irish palyers at the club, know very little about the club/city and can't speak the language would make it a less attractive option for most teenagers.
    They need someone to convince them that it would be a great opportunity to improve their game, learn a new language, enjoy better weather and better looking women

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not sure the money in lower leagues is a concern for 16 year olds with hopes of making it at a top club. It's more that scouts from those countries don't bother looking here for players, unless they're truly exceptional.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    With competent officials Croatia would never have won.
    Blame the referee for the penalty not given to Robbie and I'm 100% behind you (I am a referee by the way). But blame FIFA for their second goal. Same principle as Gallas scoring that Henry handball goal in Paris. Gallas was offside to begin with just as Jelavic was offisde to begin with for Croatia. Sure you can talk about second phase of play and all that (for Jelavic's goal) but FIFA are asking referees and linesmen to do far too much while hoping them to be 100% right all the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    When's the last time you watched a league game?
    A good many years ago I played in the LOI. Watched some games too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Blame the referee for the penalty not given to Robbie and I'm 100% behind you (I am a referee by the way). But blame FIFA for their second goal. Same principle as Gallas scoring that Henry handball goal in Paris. Gallas was offside to begin with just as Jelavic was offisde to begin with for Croatia. Sure you can talk about second phase of play and all that (for Jelavic's goal) but FIFA are asking referees and linesmen to do far too much while hoping them to be 100% right all the time.
    I don't know the specifics of the evolution of the offside rule, maybe someone can clarify for me.

Here's my 2 cents on what seems reasonable football logic, of course, inspired by the Jelavic goal. This is just my football fan sense talking; it may turn out that I'm describing the old rule, the new rule, or none of the above.

If someone is offside but not interfering with play, and that remains the case throughout a progression of play, then I can see not stopping play. However, if a player somehow gains an unfair advantage as a result of having been in an offside position, and comes back into play, surely ceding that unfair advantage gained doesn't seem in keeping with the spirit of the offside rule and how it influences the flow of the game generally.

I suppose where you get into the weeds here is the operational definition of "a progression of play." If that ends once Ireland touches the ball a la Stephen Ward, then what I've described would have Jelavic onside.

Feel free to punch holes in this argument, if there's any logic in it at all.
    Last edited by boysingreen; 13/06/2012 at 6:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

I was able to ask Ernie Stewart a question about this once. He is technical director at AZ Alkmaar. Every month he answers questions from the fans.
    Anyway, i asked him why does AZ Alkmaar not scout any players from Ireland, and does, for example scout in Iceland.

He said Irish players were not interesting enough, because they have to much competition from the English and Scottish teams.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I am a referee by the way
    Just to digress: is obstruction still an offence punished by an indirect free? I think it's years since I've seen it awarded.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast