55. You may not vote on this poll
  • In

40 72.73%
  • Out

15 27.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George (drop him or not?)

GavinZac
    woods is a stop-gap. lordan is a back up. john o'flynn didnt play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    look georges fan cllub that u seem to be chairman of is all well and good but theres no denying he was pathetic on sat.
    j'accuse!

GavinZac
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme rebel
    So with the exception of the Bohs game, the last time in your opinion George played bad was on April 23rd against Drogheda...that hardly merits getting dropped now like.
    why exactly are we excluding the bohs game?

thecorner
    one bad game and u want him dropped

ffs,get a life will ye

its flynny that needs dropping

its all well and good flynny getting us a goal when we are 2 up,but he cant seem to do it,when we are drawing late in games..if ya know what i mean

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    he was very poor against shels,but I still can't believe this is actually being taken seriously. he;s one of the most talented and hard working players in the league, not just our squad. everybody has an off day

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Georgie didn't perform to his usual standards:

v bohs......we lost and didn't score
    v Drogs.....we lost and didn't score
    v Shels......we lost and didn't score

He didn't play against UCD.......we lost and didn't score

I'm not getting on Georgie's back here but just pointing out the fact that when Georgie doesn't perform as good as he can we seem to be fairly limited going forward. Now whether this is just his personal European hangover remains to be seen.

But we can't afford to drop him because we have nobody near as quality as him to bring in. We need a bit of better back-up.

Georgie in!!

GavinZac
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme rebel

Sure GavinZac you were saying he was woeful in a game he was suspended for..
    im on your side ya fuppin gr******* im thinkin of a different player.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jebus H Christ......

We have one thread trying to make out that George is bad for morale, now a poll on whether he should be dropped..
    What the f*ck is wrong with some people?
    We had a very poor day on Saturday,with the exception of Mick Devine, no one played really well, so the conspiracy theroists and whingers are out in full force.
    It's so easy for other fans to have a go off us, when we give them so many sticks to beat us with.......

We were well beaten by a superior side, and it is plain for all to see just how far behind $h£l$ we are.
    Dropping George, or any other player, is not going to close the gap. We need some more players and to get rid of a few.
    G O'C is one of the players who will be most needed in our efforts to catch up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    George (like a lot of the squad) may need rested but that is a world away from dropping him. Isn't it the job a manager to help motivate the players? Dropping a player should be the second-last resort. Time for Pat to get to work on him....
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    City had 8 days break from Pats game so I don't accept they tired. They are fulltime professional players & if can't cope with schedule then something is wrong.

Everyone should be honest enough to see that george had a dire game but dropping him for ...???? would be a mistake.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    City had 8 days break from Pats game so I don't accept they tired. They are fulltime professional players & if can't cope with schedule then something is wrong.

Everyone should be honest enough to see that george had a dire game but dropping him for ...???? would be a mistake.
    why dont u concentrate on supprting your team instead of picking things wrong with them...just an idea like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Just a few points about this thread which i,ve just read for the first time since Saturday evenings game:

1. There is no such thing as a European hangover - Cork City employ players and a manager to play in front of 10 or 10,000 so a poor performance in front of either crowd is very disapointing.

2. George O' Callaghan was utterly utterly useless on Saturday - his worst perfomance in City shirt - but no-one played well so why jump on his back.

3. He played the last 20 minutes on the wing - has he ever played there? No wonder he did not get a kick.

4. I think that if we continute to play with the central midfield pairing we have we havnt a hope in hell for even challenging for the league. IMO George drifts in and out of games far too much to be an effective central midfielder and Colin O'Brien gives 100% but is unable to get on the ball either for long periods. Our central midfield problem was bypassed on our european run because the european teams gave our defenders loads more time on the ball which in turn gives your midfielders more time to look for possesion in the right areas, recieve the ball in central areas and distribute it. Without this luxury our central duo have no natural instinct on where they should be when play breaks down etc. I know this sounds really technical and maybe even daft but look at all the best midfielders have an ability of being in the correct place at the correct time in a position to take ball off the back four and play - i.e Hoolohan, Hunt and to use even better examples Keane , Zidane and Viera.

5. Play Gamble and O'Callaghan together and see how O'Callaghan gets on - otherwise - drop him - or playing him up front.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid

5. Play Gamble and O'Callaghan together .
    and drop colin o brien

i dont think so

jesus christ almighty

is a player entitled to a bad game anymore

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    why dont u concentrate on supprting your team instead of picking things wrong with them...just an idea like
    Don't make me come down there!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, the reason I added a poll was because I knew it would prove what i thought: that george is an essential member of this City side, and that dropping him is an absurd idea. 80 % of voters think the same, and that's a pretty huge majority in anybody's language
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    and drop colin o brien

i dont think so

jesus christ almighty

is a player entitled to a bad game anymore
    Colin O'Brien always gives 100% but he is not good enough for midfield - i mean the way people are thinking we dont have to make any changes and we will win the league Shels have just played us off the park 2 days ago - its time for Mr. Dolan to start making to tough decisions or we are going nowhere fast just like Murphy.

Murphy didnt want to drop his buddies - so the team floudered.

Dolan doesnt want to drop certain players because he wants to remain popular with the fans.

Its time for change.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete

I'm not suggesting he played well and the tiredness I was thinking of is mental tiredness (should have stated that but I'm tired too ).
    I suspect that the 'European hangover' has more to do with getting back to the day-to-day work than being physically tired. Yes the are professionals but they are still relatively young and need help with the motivation side of things. If we don't have a natural leader on the pitch its up to the manager to provide the leadership...
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

GavinZac
    wait, so what was your "Whats Wrong With City" thread about then

bottom line is, he mightnt have played well, but who did. he cant be dropped on the back of one game, especially when he's been great in recent games before that. its shouldnt be a discussion point. its well and good saying drop him anyway, but who'd replace him?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    After seeing most of the game on Chorus (who used TV3s pictures and commentary), George wasn't all that bad, until he was moved to the right wing, then the left.

George and Colin weren't particularly bad, but to put it simply, Byrne and Crawford bossed it in midfield.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    George and Colin weren't particularly bad, but to put it simply, Byrne and Crawford bossed it in midfield.
    Which will continue to be the case every time we play them. Colin and George
    have been good for us this season, and deserve a lot of credit for their preformances. But as a combo, they're not good enough to beat the midfield of teams like Shels. We need other options in there. I'm just not sure we have better options on the bench at present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast