Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012: Watching from abroad

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    No clue why you would seek out a stream when you can watch on TV. Familiar commentary a nice bonus but image quality/reliability surely the most important thing?

I will be watching on TV, but I occasionally have some problems with interference on some channels
    in the Summer (usually the non BBC ones ie ITV which is showing at least one game). I even had to put my
    signal splitter up in the loft (where the aerial is) to act as a booster, but I can still get interference sometimes
    (but not usually during the day). However I want to but it back where it was so I can record the game on my PC.
    Obviously some people will not be able to watch on TV if they are abroad, or perhaps at work.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    thanks man. I'll try find out are they showing the Croatia game so
    Fixer, I should have mentioned (sorry) if you have Foxtel you can get Setanta over here as an additional channel for the duration of the tournament for about a maximum cost of about $20. Just ring Foxtel, thery can do it immediately over the phone and good value too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    I'm in San Francisco during all the games- is Foleys or The Chieftan better? Which is closer to the BART station?

All of the games will be on the ESPN website for a week afterwards, so if you can avoid the scores during the day you can watch them during the evening (this will be a lifesaver for me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I remember being in Oz in 2006. And after watching a friendly between the Socceroos and the Netherlands I decided I had to get home for the WC. There was no way I could watch the WC in Oz. Not a chance. I don't envy any of ye over there or even outside Europe this month. I know I could never do it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    just got sorted. I'm an hour and a half outside Melbourne and the Motel owner is from Lancashire and he invited me to his gaff to watch the game at 4.45am. So happy I could whoop. Oh what the hell....Woooooooooohhhhoooooooooooo!!! COME ON IRELAND!!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I remember being in Oz in 2006. And after watching a friendly between the Socceroos and the Netherlands I decided I had to get home for the WC. There was no way I could watch the WC in Oz. Not a chance. I don't envy any of ye over there or even outside Europe this month. I know I could never do it.
    Trust me its tough, but working with a German and soccerball-loving American is helping (as well as the ESPN website)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Fixer, I should have mentioned (sorry) if you have Foxtel you can get Setanta over here as an additional channel for the duration of the tournament for about a maximum cost of about $20. Just ring Foxtel, thery can do it immediately over the phone and good value too!
    There's one pub in the town and it doesnt have Foxtel. Luckily the Motel owner is from near Leeds and into his soccer and invited me in to his home to watch it. delighted. There is no indication that there is anything happening in Soccer over here. There's just no interest. Not that there should be. It's all Aussie Rules over here at the moment
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Bonnie, you're not wrong! My family (all females!) have no interest in Irish games, so I watch it alone. It's funny too that games from Europe are on here early morning, and instead of drinking beer, I find myself drinking copious cups of coffee! By the time the games are over I am as high as a kite!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Bonnie, you're not wrong! My family (all females!) have no interest in Irish games, so I watch it alone. It's funny too that games from Europe are on here early morning, and instead of drinking beer, I find myself drinking copious cups of coffee! By the time the games are over I am as high as a kite!
    I find that strange that that would make any diffference!!!
    Anyway looks like its the Twelve Pins for the left behind in London Town, some said they will be bringing their bodhrans but Im not so sure if thats a good thing!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    I'm in San Francisco during all the games- is Foleys or The Chieftan better? Which is closer to the BART station?

All of the games will be on the ESPN website for a week afterwards, so if you can avoid the scores during the day you can watch them during the evening (this will be a lifesaver for me)
    Foley's is probably better craic. Both places are pretty close to BART, especially Foley's is less than a 5 minute walk from Powell BART.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Anyone recommend a good spot to watch the Croatia game in Manchester? O'Shea's and Mulligan's (both in the city centre) are options, although there are a few of us, so we may well just gather in someone's flat and watch it there together. Any time I've watched Ireland games in either of the aforementioned pubs, the atmosphere failed to live up to what I'd have expected at home; O'Shea's was completely empty for the Slovakia and Armenia qualifiers. Didn't really get going either for the away leg of the play-off in Estonia, unfortunately.

They do get RTÉ, mind, but it's impossible to focus on what's being discussed by the commentators/pundits when you're in a pub, and they turn over the analysis as soon as the game finishes anyway! Concentrating on analysis takes the punters' eyes and lips off their drinks, I suppose...

I don't know if the questionable atmospheric benefits outweigh the potential loss in ability to focus properly on the game. Surely the atmosphere would pick up for a major finals...

There's also St. Kent's Irish Social Club in Fallowfield and the Irish World Heritage Centre in Cheetham Hill which are both showing it but never been to either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    You'll need a proxy.

Yes but ESPN coverage of football/soccer is complete pure, utter ****. The sad thing is its still actually better than it was 5-6 years ago (which was basically no improvement from the days of the '94 World Cup -- Roy Houghton with the chipper! -- though that was ABC I think its the same family of networks). Its usually Darke (who is a far cry from his Sky Sports self) and McManaman but I put on the Spanish commentators. They do actually get some decent people in the studio like Shaka Hislop but its always ruined by the token American clown like Lalas or Wynalda.
    I have put on the Spanish commentators as well. Darke turns into 1970's Dickie Davies and I just cannot stand McManaman. Lalas and especially Wynalda... no words in the English language can describe how bad they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    McManaman is who we get for most of the CL games. What a tw@t!
    Last edited by SkStu; 09/06/2012 at 4:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I actually think "Macca" is funny... its that Jerry Fallwell looking guy hosting the Euros so far on ESPN that gives me the willies.
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Have to say Lalas spot on with his predictions for todays games (so far). Picked Denmark and said Holland had peaked. Predicted draw for Germany v Portugal with Portugal being the better team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    so not really spot on at all then
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Hehe

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If Noely wants to eat a helping of humble pie, why not allow him the whole pie?
    I would.
    Last edited by geysir; 09/06/2012 at 10:33 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The carryon at ESPN today re the Ireland v Croatia match was A DISGRACE. They did not mention it once although they are carrying the game. All they carried was Bilic's idiotic statement about Ireland not being a top team. Spain v italy in 300 different ways. FFS. Complete disrespect. I hope we win 3-0/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast