Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those not going to Poland, are pubs the places to watch the games??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Meh, I'm getting a brand new TV this week, nice sofa a couple of metres from the TV itself. Nice fridge is only a reach away from the sofa. I don't see why I'd want to go anywhere else to watch it.
    Dead right to. Most pubs have tvs in the worst positions. Football fans should expect more.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    My two favourite bars in Dublin to watch matches are The Lotts snug and MacTurcaills.
    There's two seats in each of those that are incredible spots once you get in on time.
    Having to be there on time, this is it like, are any pubs capable of a screen without the hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Pubs are supermarkets of sin.

If you are looking for sin they are the place to go.

Seriously though I prefer to watch the Irish matchs at home. I do a better class of suffering at home,
    Home is to place to be. Ideal if we get the weather are house parties/BBQs etc before and after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I find it impossible to watch a match properly in a pub. You can see the action but I find I tend to miss out on the small details that allows one analyse a game as much as is possible to do it watching on a telly. That said, the atmosphere should be great and I think a lot of pubs will let you reserve a table, so it'd be worth getting on that and sorting something out so you've a guaranteed decent view. It'll be a long, enjoyable day with Italy Spain beforehand, looking forward to it. As to which pub, probably somewhere out in leafy south Dublin.Don't think I could handle the crowds in the pubs in town.
    This is it again, having to book etc. more hassle. Pubs are all looking to get business in etc. for the games but the deliver little. Still though, hope to take them in for after match celebrations!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I hate the trade off between the atmosphere of pubs and comfort/view of home. Nonetheless, I'm wired to go to a local pub for any big games, provided I have the opportunity to watch them live.

For me, that's The Heritage in the Woodlawn section of the Bronx. Watched our WCQ win over Holland there, which was my first big Irish team moment, so feel I have to be in that spot for big games.

Will be there Sun. As for the other two games, will be watching at home since my brother won't be able to watch them live/work. So will wait and fire up the DVR with him, to watch "as live" and cheer like maniacs despite the rest of the world already knowing the outcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I can't watch any game I care about on TV. Pubs are usually full of clueless idiots and I get more annoyed listening to idiots talk about football than pretty much anything else.

Select few mates who have a clue and cans is the only way to watch a game if you can't be there
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Pubs are usually full of clueless idiots and I get more annoyed listening to idiots talk about football than pretty much anything else.
    Sounds like the Camac
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Sounds like the Camac
    Not the bit I stand. Knowledgable fellows all round
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I can't watch any game I care about on TV. Pubs are usually full of clueless idiots and I get more annoyed listening to idiots talk about football than pretty much anything else.

Select few mates who have a clue and cans is the only way to watch a game if you can't be there
    Thats because of your superior intellect and vast knowledge.

I don't believe its just with "soccer" you have that problem.

Actually, in my experience a lot of St Pats fans have this same disease, it must be something inhaled or consumed from the water out that way.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Bars are great for watching soccer games you don't really care about because you can fill in the boredom with chatter/drinking/pool/. For a serious game I hate being in bars because of the noise and difficulty to get a view, let alone the nonsense from bandwagoners who don't really care at all. I'd actually ideally love to watch big games on my own, no distractions.
    Though usually I'll settle for friends/family in a living room. I only drink if its in celebration, I get pretty ****ed off if my team lost an important game, social drinking I can do without. Will head out if we win, cry in a pillow if we lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Thats because of your superior intellect and vast knowledge.

I don't believe its just with "soccer" you have that problem.

Actually, in my experience a lot of St Pats fans have this same disease, it must be something inhaled or consumed from the water out that way.
    See calling it soccer would have you classed with the idiots immediately....
    ---

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Watched Euro 88 games in the living room at home (aged 15).

Watched Italia 90 in Buddies, Foxes Bow, Limerick. Quality Atmosphere. Tiny pub, no natural light, huge screen. Like watching a game in home cinema that happens to have sawdust on the floor and lots of stoned bikers.

Watched USA 94 in Quins, Ellen Street, Limerick. Utterly inadequate TV but no-one seemed to mind, they borrowed my old bands PA so we could at least hear the commentary. Great vibe.

Watched 2002 at an early morning house party with a fry and cocktails (cameroon), at home sober (Germany) and in Mickey Martins, Augustinian Lane, Limerick. Another excellent atmosphere ...soured only by Saudi Arabias inability to conjure a single poxy goal against us. (I'd a tenner on us to beat the Saudis 3-1 with Gary Breen scoring -36/1)

I'll watch this one through my fingers while cowaring behind the couch.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    anyone watching this in San Francisco? trying to decide which pub to watch it in.
    http://foot.ie/threads/167447-Euro-2...ng-from-abroad

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Watched Italia 90 in Buddies, Foxes Bow, Limerick. Quality Atmosphere. Tiny pub, no natural light, huge screen. Like watching a game in home cinema that happens to have sawdust on the floor and lots of stoned bikers.
    Ha ha, memories there, was that the place with the big Phil Lynott mural up the gable end of it? Gone I think now.?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    At Euro 88. Watched 1990 mostly in the Spinning Wheel West London. Watched 1994 in Ned Kelly's Den Haag, Holland. 2002 Slattery's Rathmines. Will be in Mulligans Hoboken, New Jersey on Sunday. Great football pub just across from Manhattan. A lot of fans who used to travel to the games and a lot of league of Ireland fans hang out in this pub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Going to be in Madrid for the group stages should be interesting when we play spain! Have to scope the place out for somewhere to watch the Ireland games!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i was at home watching Ireland in the 1990 world cup, bar the romania game, i was about 8, i think it was the burlington, and this man put me on his shoulders so i could see the game, he kept me there for a good half an hour, i was obviously very happy but im sure he must have got tired, was a very nice gesture cos i would have seen nothing. I remember he had a curly bob of hair and when he was jumping and i was jumping i was holding on for dear life by his curly hair. Weird the things you remember.

1994 we were in chateaux (or chiteau as i liked to call them) in france, i know my brother was wishing he was back in ireland in a pub. My father scoured the place for a tv so we could watch the matches, the place was very boring, like most of brittany/normandy and the Italy game must have been on about 2 in the morning, Cantona tipped us to win 1-0 on French TV, but we still had a great time watching it, even if it was just me and my brother.

2002 I was in boston, watched cameroon after we had a house party about 4 in the morning, ringing my mates who were in a pub at home getting sandwiches and drinking beer about 8 or 9 in the morning, germany game watched at home before work, was quite late for work but they were ok about it even though the "soccer" world cup meant nothing to them, in the now defunct Irish embassy for the Spain game, I've never been so down in the aftermath of a game, and for so long, and p1ssing me off these stupid dubs south siders - friends of friends - no real interest in soccer laughing and having the craic an hour later.

2012 - Ill be watching in Poland As you all should
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 07/06/2012 at 11:01 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Ha ha, memories there, was that the place with the big Phil Lynott mural up the gable end of it? Gone I think now.?
    Gone 20 years if a day.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    a lot of league of Ireland fans hang out in this pub.
    There's a deliberate mistake in there, surely?

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    1988 I was in the middle of my UCD second year economics repeats. Fail, and I was out of college!
    1990 I was in Italy
    1994 I was in USA but went home after Norway game. I ***ing hated Orlando and wasn't going back.
    2002 I was in Japan but not Korea.
    2012 Poland (and London for last game)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Special match night deal in the Home of Irish Football, 4 pints a Burdocks snack box and a choice of three bars and 5 TV`s- Dalymount Park, 15 Euro a pop or 40 Euro for all three group matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I have suddenly half changed my mind. Bar up the road from me, Voodoo Lounge, has 1 euro pints of Heineken for the tournament. Yes. €1. Every other pint is also €3 which is handy.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast