Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job-Bridge Taking advantage of the unemployed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Job-Bridge Taking advantage of the unemployed

I am starting a thread to highlight something I feel strongly about. I think it is well known for some months that the Jobbridge scheme is being taken advantage of by some employers. But nothing seems to be getting done about it. I have started this petition with an aim to getting the point across to the people in charge of the scheme that with some tweaks it could be a good for actual internships but as it stands I believe it is harming the jobs market even further. So please lend your support it only takes a few seconds to put your name down and hopefully we can make some positive change to the scheme.
    Thanks.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/j...he-unemployed/
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I don't think there is any doubt that the jobbridge scheme is taken advantage of, but the government don't care. To them, it's all about slashing the social welfare bill.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I agree, but nothing is going to change if we dont act...
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    It's a real race to the bottom initiative. Once the government steps in and subsidises something then it can't step back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    It's a real race to the bottom initiative. Once the government steps in and subsidises something then it can't step back.
    Thats it, why would I pay you 500 euro if I can get someone in for 50 at most!! Its OK for actual internships, otherwise employers are taken the ****. Waiters/petrol pump attendants/cleaners/gardeners the list goes on, absolute joke. Sign the petition so I can try and use it to get it changed... Worth a shot.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't think an online petition will solve anything unless there's a follow through: presentation of a printout, lobbying, etc, but I've signed it in the hope of that.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The only way it'll change if people report bogus internships advertised, and/or the people on the internships report abuses.

Personally I think they're great in theory, but employers in this state just cannot be trusted. Just add their taking advantage of this to a very long list of examples.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Thats just it. The idea itself isn't the worst.

But when you see Hotels offering position that basically amount to a job that should be paid €40k easily (like entertainment manager etc etc) it makes a joke of the whole thing

*Above example ios forma similar thread on this/another forum that stuck in my head
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Work experience is always welcome but the Internship programme is yet again another mis-diagnosis of a important problem by this government. People are not unemployed because they don't have enough experience, they are unemployed because there are no jobs ('no jobs' = fcuk all jobs). 75% of the internships advertised are positions that would take no more than 2 weeks to train up not 6-9 bloody months. Wiping tables, stacking shelves, serving fast food = 1 day of an induction. Some of the more technical internships may be good for recent graduates but I suspect reading the specs many are looking for experienced workers.

Quite simply the government don't give a ****e about the unemployment crisis. They only created Jobbridge to provide the optics that they care and are pro-actively doing something about it which some people have bought into.

Joan Burton, the DSP and TDs are being inundated with complaints and criticisms of the scheme. She and the government consistently shoot down any negative criticisms when it is a blatantly poorly implemented scheme facilitating job displacement. Trying petitions is all well and good, but this is Burton's pet 'make it look like I'm doing something' project and she is unrelentless in its defence.

A few weeks ago the Sunday Times reported that 75% of participants were dropping out the programme and suddenly the next day Burton and the DSP announced an extension of the scheme by 1,000 places and proclaimed the programme as 'success' and that is 'working'. She claimed that 700+ out of 2000 got jobs either directly with the participating company or other companies following the completion of their internships yet they have failed to publish any verifiable statistics to back this up and FOI requests for this information have been shot down. Something really stinks about it all.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    The only way it'll change if people report bogus internships advertised, and/or the people on the internships report abuses.
    I reported one last month that was looking for HR administrator with 1+ years experience. No reply to my report and it was still up 2 weeks later.

FAS don't filter or scan these positions, they throw them straight up.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    But when you see Hotels offering position that basically amount to a job that should be paid €40k easily (like entertainment manager etc etc) it makes a joke of the whole thing
    Put in more controls and time how long ISME take to start moaning about red tape. Again.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    http://www.limerickfc.ie/internships-available

Limerick FC looking for a cook and a "Marketing Administrator". They say "It is envisioned that both of these roles will develop into paid positions within the club following the end of the Job Bridge internship."

Why not just hire people as actual paid workers then? This is essentially saying "Work for free for 9 months, and then we'll give you a job, maybe".
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I reported one last month that was looking for HR administrator with 1+ years experience. No reply to my report and it was still up 2 weeks later.

FAS don't filter or scan these positions, they throw them straight up.
    It's not FÁS, it's an entirely new quango they set up.

JobBridge is a disaster, as anybody with a brain predicted when it was announced, and has led to many full-time jobs being downgraded to internships. However I wouldn't blame it all on JobBridge - even before it was announced, anyone actively seeking work would have seen all sorts of jobs being advertised as "internships". My favourite was an internship "opportunity" at a hotel in Dublin which offered the intern training in "answering phones".

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That's a disgrace.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's not FÁS, it's an entirely new quango they set up.
    It's not a quango, it's operated by Social Protection (It was in FAS, but went to Social Protection as part of the breakup of that organisation).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Remember an article in the Guardian from two years about a lawyer in Britain who challenged a company over unpaid internships and won the interns in question back pay, was minimum wage back pay but was something at least. The argument was that it went against Britain's employment laws for someone to have an agreed number of hours and/or a set time where the person would have to work/be in work and for them not to be paid. That internships could only be lawful if the intern was able to dictate their own hours and when they came and went on any given day.

The lawyer had asked for other interns to come forward as he felt if enough back pay claims were brought that companies would grow weary of the whole process. Haven't heard much since then so I guess not many came forward but it's something I'd like to see taken up in Irish courts. At present you have jobs that should never require much prior experience being advertised and you have educated and/or skilled workers being taken advantage of in jobs that should be entry level for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I'm actually seriously considering taking on an intern at the moment, does that make me a bad person?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It depends on why you're doing it and what you have to offer them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I'm actually seriously considering taking on an intern at the moment, does that make me a bad person?
    No, you're practical and you can make it work properly.

This Summer we took on 2 student interns. They weren't in receipt of any welfare, just free for the summer. Both worked 16 hours (each) per week and we paid expenses for both. 1 of them I hope to god will come and work with us when he finishes Uni (next May) and the other would be a great addition to any company (including ours) in 3 years when she graduates. They'll work for another 6 weeks with us and the only thing I'll say is that if there are some basic expenses paid to them, and there's a little "gift" of a couple of hundred dollars at the end, and they're busy and learning, it's good.

22. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast