Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your expections and hopes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I'm optimistic we'll start with a win. If we were to manage that, there'll still be a hell of a battle to try and get out of the group.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I seriously fear we could get null points though not for want of trying, but 4 points ain't impossible either. I'd have given up on this international football lark and just followed Man United years ago if I wasn't able to dream, and on that basis I'll be disappointed if we don't get out of this group. Believe in the BIG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I've always believed.

DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I think we'll be lucky to score even a single goal in the tournament. Anything better than that is a bonus. I'm just happy to be there.
    All we need is that one goal in the whole group stage. Concede none and we should qualify.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Don't expect a nightmare, though look what we have on paper just now. So don't expect to get out of the group either.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I am quite optimistic at the moment I think we might have a good tournament, I find it quite hard to visualise it going badly wrong
    but am realistic enough to know that could be the case. I can't recall us have a bad tournament once we have qualified
    (perhaps someone can remind me!!). However that's all in the past.
    We are 4-1 to qualify for the quarters, I thought that was a great price, I would have took evens, then I took a look at the group again.....
    But even so I am optimistic, there is no real pressure on us, we are in the perfect position to cause an upset.
    Spain and Italy have more pressure on them than us.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I'm optimistic enough as well. We're talking about a team that was desperately unlucky not to make a world cup and did well to get to this stage. The Russian games might be a cause of concern but there are positives then as well. We respond well to tournament football and started playing really well this time last year when we had two nations cup games, Macedonia qualifier and Italian friendly.
    The build-up schedule to the tournament looks good. Training in Dublin before farewell friendly. A week in Italy with an easy game and day-off half through the week. Then moving to to Hungary ahead of final friendly.

It'll be interesting to see how things are shaping up on Monday night.

We have to win our opening game, I don't think we can afford any other result if we are to get out of the group.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Fairly optimistic myself. I honestly don't believe we will lose any of the three games. I'm going for three very low scoring draws. It might just be enough to get us out of the group. I would normally have us as a banker to win the opening game but Trap does things a little differently from Jack. He will be aiming for a 0-0 in that first game. Sneak a 1-0 great but Trap will be very happy with a 0-0. Jack would be building up the team to win the first game. Trap won't do that. Trap will set us up to really frustrate the Spanish in the second game. And I think the Trap tactics are really suited for these types of games against serious opposition. Again 0-0 or even 1-1. Jack would have lost this type of game after winning the first game. Against Italy it will all depend on what we need. If we have at least two points going into the last game then a point might be good enough to see us through. If we can get out of this group than anything is possible. Tough ask but for me we can do it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    You beat me to it there Noely, I see 3 draws coming up which I think will do for us. I just hope to avoid serious defensive lapses, but we do seem to be able to play to the final whistle these days. I also happen to think thast if we need to up our game against the Italians we will be able to do so, with the shackles off in an all or nothing scenario we've shown that we can certainly give it a go. I fancy Walters and Long to be the reason for a late 3rd game victory if needed. Trap will just settle for 3 points if that's all is needed and I must say I will too.
    Just got the van MOTed, this time next week I should be half way through Germany and it's a sunny Friday afternoon on a bank holiday weekend. Must try and get a few ly-ins this weekend.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    How likely do you reckon it is we could go through w/ 3 draws??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen View Post
    How likely do you reckon it is we could go through w/ 3 draws??
    Spain 1 Italy 0, Ireland 1 Croatia 1
    Italy 1 Croatia 1, Spain 0 Ireland 0
    Spain 2 Croatia 0, Ireland 1 Italy 1 Not beyond the bounds Boysingreen. For me it really depends on how free flowing this tournament is going to be. Most major tournaments are very, very cagey with not many great matches. Exceptions being Euro 84. We have to hang in there and hopefully get a few breaks. And we are basically an old fashioned Italy team. Thats why I don't think we will beat Croatia. We will hang in there and slow burn our way into the knockout stages.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 02/06/2012 at 6:38 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I range from a belief we could do v well to a fear we are beaten by all 3.

I just hope that if any of our opponents decide to employ similar tactics against us that the Russians did, that we have a better answer this time. Those 2 matches were the only time under trap that we've been overrun.

Croatia defence is far from solid. But midfield is where they hold the upper hand. As in many of trap games, think we'll score first 1 -1 draw.

Spain. For some reason, I think this could be our performance of the euros. Remember their 1-0 loss to the Swiss in the last wc, where the Swiss employed trap like tactics, remember Spain won most of their games at the last WC with just one goal. I fancy we might just get a 0-0.

Italy. Can we beat them? Are the general public dismissing them too lightly, yes to both. Remember how we beat the Dutch before 94 WC and everyone thought we would then do the same in the wC. Having said that, under trap we have done very well against them and arguably their squad is poor by their standards. I think if we need a result against them, we might just get it.

My dream would be to get out of the group. My ask would be to go into the Italian game with a reasonable chance to still qualify.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Looked at all the teams etc this morning. Think Ireland def have a good chance to get out of the group. Croatia, Italy and ireland are actually quite similar - three very ordinary teams but Ireland look the most solid and thats what will do it for them. Reckon it will be all down to the last game between italy with the winner going through. What price a last minute Irish goal?
    Spain should win the group easy.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

18. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I don't want to sound small-time and all "we're just happy to be there" etc. But my main hope is that we give a good account of ourselves and Europe remembers us fondly. So that invoves us giving it a bit of a go v Croatia and Italy. I dont think anyone will begrudge us parking the bus in our second match. But i'd hate for people to see us in the same way as they see eg. Greece. Groan at our mention and call us anti-football.

However I expect Trap to go all out to not lose v Croatia and i think he'll do it, but it sure as hell won't be pretty. 0-0 or 1-1. I expect Spain to eventually have to much for us. So it'll all come down to the last match. If both ourselves and Italy need a win then i think we can do it. But if Italy only need a draw then they'll grind us out, just. We won't have enough to break them down.

Having read some of the more negative messages on this thread, I'll admit i do also worry that we'll be out with a match to go. But its natural to worry about that kind of thing!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I dunno TT. I hear what you're saying but I think Trap's smart. Qualifying is one thing, but now it's a different challenge. I see subtle changes in our approach like allowing full backs forward and I think Trap sees Croatia as the game to win. Equally I think he sees it as the one not to lose though. I don't think Trap will accept not getting spanked as a satisfactory outcome.

Anyway, we can still have something to play for with no points after 2 games, yes? If Croatia beats us narrowly, Spain beats Italy (likely) and Italy beats Croatia (quite likely) a win over Italy might be enough.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/06/2012 at 1:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It's hard to be confident after last night but I don't think anything should be read into last night's game. Giles was making the same point. We are in for tough 3 games but I can't see us losing more than one and not getting at least one win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    we drew 0-0 against Norway in our last pre-Euro 88 friendly and went onto perform well. an omen? probably not!

Hungary beat Czech Republic 2-1 away last Friday and also beat Sweden at home in the qualifiers so they are obviously a decent side.

I think we'll step it up a gear next Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Agree with Stuttgart88. There are some changes to how we play. Both JoSH and Ward got forward a lot more last night than what we have come to expect under Trapattoni. Both this left us vulnerable to Hungary's speed on the counter.

Overall though I'm feeling more confident about the Croatia game. There are signs that Trapattoni is willing to change his approach and his comments about a 5 man midfield should keep forthcoming opposition second guessing what we will do - which is great as we have been so predictable up to now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    We finish 2nd in the group, and then we get revenge for the Hand of Frog in the second round. Or, better yet, we knock out England.

Sorry, that might have been a wet dream more than hopes and expectations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast