Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Joint Bid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Euro 2020 Joint Bid

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/...three-way-bid/

There you have it. Not sure if there's a discussion on this already, if so feel free to bin this. Several problems with this, not least - would UEFA give automatic qualification to three countries? Also, many of the most up to date grounds in the country, including Thomond Park, wouldn't meet the criteria. Do we have the infrastructure, hotel beds etc... Not impossible but improbable.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Well Euro's will be 24 countries from 2016 so still 21 places up for grabs if they did have 3 host countries.

Big stadium in the West would be nice!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/...three-way-bid/

There you have it. Not sure if there's a discussion on this already, if so feel free to bin this. Several problems with this, not least - would UEFA give automatic qualification to three countries? Also, many of the most up to date grounds in the country, including Thomond Park, wouldn't meet the criteria. Do we have the infrastructure, hotel beds etc... Not impossible but improbable.
    hotels wise possible.

We would only have to bring 2 or 3 stadiums to the bid maybe. Lansdowne and new cork / limerick / galway stadiums could be options. No country ever has all the stadiums in place when they bid so surely we could deliver two new stadiums with 30 - 35,000 capacity? I think the rugby are thinking about a RWC bid so maybe both bids could justify two new / revamped stadiums.

read an interesting article the other day about how UEFA will struggle to get countries to bid for the Euros now its up the 24 teams. Even the Germans thought better of a 2020 bid. May have to have a re-think and revert to 16 teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I wonder if the Qatari world cup big (6 grounds in their capital afaik) would signal a willingness by the powers that be to reconsider the one city/one ground preference. Glasgow could have three, Cardiff two and Dublin two if so - not that they would all necessarily be needed or that I'm convinced it would be a good idea to have so many games/fans in one city. I suppose we'd be banking on the Scots to contribute 4-6 with us and Wales picking up the rest.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    The fact that we've already successfully staged a Europa League Final will stand to the FAI. So too will the new Dublin Airport Terminal. We've moved on a lot from the Brendan Menton days of "sure let's submit a bid and see how we get on".

If a second stadium was required what could be used? Do all stadia have to be UEFA 5 star graded? Thomond or the proposed new IFA site perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Gah Stutts. You had to go and mention the IFA.
    So we'll need 4 auto qualifiers...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Its like the blind auditions on The Voice of Ireland, wait until the end of the song and see that only Turkey has pressed its button. We (& Wales) are in a far better position than the last time there was a joint bid. Swansea & Cardiff have new stadiums although both are sub 30k seaters at the moment.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I've a really important exam tomorrow so I had plenty of time to surf the net.

SCOTLAND
    Celtic Park - 60,000
    Hampden Park - 52,000
    Murrayfield - 67,000
    New Aberdeen Stadium - 30,000 (current plans of 22,000, would need expansion)
    Dundee Stadium - 30,000 (ground-share has been proposed twice, would surely be done in the event of a major tournament)

WALES
    Millenium - 74,000
    Liberty Stadium - 30,000 (Currently 20,500)

IRELAND
    Aviva Stadium - 51,700
    and two of:
    Croke Park - 74,000
    Thomond Park - 30,000 (Currently 26,000, probably about 20,000 if made all seated so redevelopment needed. Gaelic Grounds possibility otherwise.)
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 45,000 (Persistent talk of redevloping this into an all-seater).

The likes of Semple are non-runners as I see it, don't have the population base surrounding them to sustain such a huge event. All in all though, it does look fairly possible if the GAA and IRFU give us a dig out.
    Last edited by fionnsci; 15/05/2012 at 1:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Thomand is a given imo, its already held Internationals. Cork or Galway then would need to hold one and there is definitely redevelopment plans for both.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ireland would be the minor partnet in it. Wales and Scottland decided to got for it last night, and tacked ireland on this morning.

On that basis, Lansdowne will be used. Maybe Thomand. Absolutely no involvment with the GAA as a) bar croker their grounds aren't good and b) we haven't a pot to **** in to develop stadiums that won't be used

IF the FAI were any way competent or serious about attrcting tournaments here they'd look to host the Euro u21s. Do up Turners Cross, the Showgrounds, Tallaght and maybe another. Lansdowne for the finals
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Admittedly, this sounds like a bit of an urban myth and isn't entirely relevant, but it amuses me all the same.

I think it might have been on this forum where I read about an Irish government minister being sent off to an Olympics organisational conference on the continent so he could gauge how realistic the prospect of bringing the Olympics to Ireland would be. Sure enough, he attended and was very impressed by the grand affair. Upon his return to Ireland a few days later, he reported that not only was the prospect of hosting the Olympics beyond our capabilities, we wouldn't even have the infrastructure to host the conference he'd just attended!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Yeah Dan. Heard that story many times.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Existing stadia requiring no modifications (and no permission issues):

Celtic Park (Ibrox currently meets the criteria but will probably be a supermarket by 2020, also three stadia in one city won't be allowed)
    Hampden Park
    Murrayfield
    Millenium Stadium
    Lansdowne Road

Options:
    Easter Road (would need about 10,000 additional seats, limited room for development)
    Tynecastle (would need 12,000 additional seats, there are currently long term plans for a new stand to increase the capacity to 23,000, very limited room to increase by a further 7,000)
    Dundee (neither Dundee club has anything close to a need for a 30,000 seat stadium, would require a new site)
    Aberdeen (average attendance significantly below current capacity of 22,000, but have been plans to move to a green field site)
    Liberty Stadium (would require additional 10,000 but there is room to develop and a chance the additional seats might actually be used)
    Cardiff City Stadium (similar to Liberty Stadium above)
    Racecourse Ground, Wrexham (would require an additional 20,000 seats, seems unlikely)
    Croke Park (uncertainty over permission to use, meets the criteria, but might have to be three-sided if temporary seating not allowed)
    Thomond Park (seems unlikely, would need 17,000 extra seats with limited room to develop, currently totally sufficient for Munster so permanent seating of standing areas unlikely, doubts over Limerick's hotel capacity)
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh (Cork seems the likely second city in Ireland, but the government would have to include permission to use as a requirement of any redevelopment grants)

From the above, the following would seem most sensible: Croke Park, Lansdowne Road, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Hampden Park, Celtic Park, Murrayfield, new Aberdeen Stadium, Millenium Stadium, Liberty Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium. Dublin, Glasgow and Cardiff would have two venues, with Cork, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Swansea having one each. Other than Dundee, I can't see any other city being considered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    It's increasingly important to have some sort of legacy plan for how these stadiums will be used after the tournament is over. On that basis Galway would seem to be the best location for a new stadium as between Galway United and Connacht Rugby it would be used, if not full, almost every week.

Of course there is no reason why a new stadium in Derry couldn't be used. Derry City are LOI members after all, and Stormont may well put some money towards it.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    It's increasingly important to have some sort of legacy plan for how these stadiums will be used after the tournament is over. On that basis Galway would seem to be the best location for a new stadium as between Galway United and Connacht Rugby it would be used, if not full, almost every week.

Of course there is no reason why a new stadium in Derry couldn't be used. Derry City are LOI members after all, and Stormont may well put some money towards it.

Derry City may be an LOI team but Derry is within the (dys)functional area of the IFA. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Derry City may be an LOI team but Derry is within the (dys)functional area of the IFA. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!
    I dunno. The Shinners have secured a ball of money from them already. And they have all this city of culture stuff coming up.

As well as that it might be possible to turn the head of enough of the rugger bugger type unionists by mentioning how handy it would be if we bid for the rugby world cup.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 15/05/2012 at 9:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I dunno. The Shinners have secured a ball of money from them already. And they have all this city of culture stuff coming up.

As well as that it might be possible to turn the head of enough of the rugger bugger type unionists by mentioning how handy it would be if we bid for the rugby world cup.
    If we bid for the RWC2023 it will be an all-island bid as the IRFU is an all-island body. There would be zero issues with games in NI in that case.

Now imagine a scenario (albeit unlikely) where Portugal and Spain stage a joint bid. But the bid organisers decide that they should hold a game in Biarritz... Hardly likely don't you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    If we bid for the RWC2023 it will be an all-island bid as the IRFU is an all-island body. There would be zero issues with games in NI in that case.

Now imagine a scenario (albeit unlikely) where Portugal and Spain stage a joint bid. But the bid organisers decide that they should hold a game in Biarritz... Hardly likely don't you think?
    There's a world of difference there. I'd say this is much more akin to playing games in N. Korea during the 2002 World Cup. Something that was considered at the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Okay. You can't see the similarity of playing games in a football association jurisdiction that will not be "hosting" or involved in the organisation of the tournament?

And you think that an Association like the IFA would be willing to help out the perfidious FAI in their moment of glory?

And you think that the mad notion of world diplomacy of staging a game in 2002 in Pyongyang, the Capital City of a State that is still officially at war with one of the host nations' has any currency here?

Christ on a bike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Okay. You can't see the similarity of playing games in a football association jurisdiction that will not be "hosting" or involved in the organisation of the tournament?
    I didn't say that. I just said I thought the Korea situation was a closer match. The fact that Derry play in the LOI, and that most people in Derry want their city to be in the ROI means that our border is very different to the one between France and Spain.

And you think that an Association like the IFA would be willing to help out the perfidious FAI in their moment of glory?
    They would probably jump up and down and stamp their feet as usual. They might even take UEFA to CAS. God knows what they might do. But from our point of view a LOI club has potentially got €10m to spend on a stadium if the Irish Times is to believed. That's not to be sniffed it

And you think that the mad notion of world diplomacy of staging a game in 2002 in Pyongyang, the Capital City of a State that is still officially at war with one of the host nations' has any currency here?
    Mad diplomatic notion or not, (a description I wouldn't disagree with) it has currency because it was openly being considered by both the S. Korean FA and Government at the time.

Christ on a bike.

Yes my child?
    Last edited by backstothewall; 15/05/2012 at 11:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast