Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Joint Bid

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Another factor which would count against the bid is legacy impact. The leagues in the 3 countries are at best an absolute joke. Welsh sides are either non-professional or playing in England, Irish club attendances and stability are pitiful and the only successful Scottish sides are mired by having the worst supporter reputation on the planet, not to mention its league being in free fall.

UEFA will want to market its showpiece event to a country with a flourishing national league where it can build on its current success rather try and rescue leagues with low interest hanging off a cliff for very survival. The main benefactor in legacy from such a bid would likely be England given the huge numbers from the 3 countries who enter their clubs at youth level, never to be seen in respective leagues.

However you look at it I can't take this as a serious bid

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    japan / korea. miles apart geographically and culturally, different currency, different language and they historically hate each other. Among the best 3 weeks of my life attending the WC in 2002
    World cups have twice the number of games as Euros (before the format change) so theres a greater capacity for that. You start divvying up a 31 game tournament between 3 countries and creating the right kind of atmosphere will be difficult. If the split were even we may have only 4 more games than the "nations cup" and we all know how that went.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Derry City is still formally under the jurisdiction of IFA and only plays in the League of Ireland as the result of a special dispensation from the northern organisation.

edit: that is to say, if the IFA withdrew permission tomorrow, Derry would once again be solely answerable to the IFA
    This is what I have been told, but also open to correction.

John Delaney was asked recently on the YBIG podcast about the prospect of the FAI hosting an under-age international in the Brandywell but such a fixture would have to be sanctioned by the IFA, even though Derry City play in the League of Ireland.

Article 7.1 of FIFA's Regulations Governing International Matches states:

"All International Matches must be authorised by the Members to which the participating teams are affiliated and by the Member on whose territory the match is to occur."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    no, this is still currently the case.
    redevelopement of the Limericks GAA stadium would be Limericks best option. in fact in any other country the Gaelic grounds and Thomand would have been developed as one municipal stadium for use by a few sports. Both were developed separately around the same time and id say the Gaelic grounds hits over 5,000 attendance about twice a year
    I used live near both. I don't follow the exploits of the local gah much but their stadium is very rarely anywhere near full. I think the last time was around 2004. I don't understand the internacine politics of the GAA but I'm told Cork have an effective veto against plaing there?

I don't think the Thomond Park issues are insurmountable in terms of getting it up to 30,000 all seater. Tight for sure but doable. Limerick would have plenty of hotel and accomodation capacity for visitors as well ...plenty.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    World cups have twice the number of games as Euros (before the format change) so theres a greater capacity for that. You start divvying up a 31 game tournament between 3 countries and creating the right kind of atmosphere will be difficult. If the split were even we may have only 4 more games than the "nations cup" and we all know how that went.
    i dont think the preceived issues with the nations cup was down to the lack of fixtures. also, it was nothing more than a friendly competition held at a time when it was the done thing by alleged fans and the media to ridicule the national team and that particular competition.

if our group was based in this country the atmosphere would be incredible

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Was murfinator really comparing the Carling Nations Cup matches to a Euro finals? Crikey.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Was murfinator really comparing the Carling Nations Cup matches to a Euro finals? Crikey.
    Its great to see the Heino final, people having to give away tickets, especially considering that london has over 400k Irish over here....I could only imagine what it would be like for an Irish footballing side in the CL equivalent, nevermind 2 Irish sides.

I am aware connacht would be best represented in terms of irish diaspora, but ulster and Leinster are also very well represented over here.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 17/05/2012 at 2:23 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I could only imagine what it would be like for an Irish footballing side in the CL equivalent, nevermind 2 Irish sides.
    Somehow I suspect your hypothesis might never be tested.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Somehow I suspect your hypothesis might never be tested.
    Yeah I can't see Liverpool qualifying for the Champions League final any time soon.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Whichever brain cell thought this up must have been on the sauce the night before...

The only plausible reason for supporting it would be to stop Turkey hosting it, given 95% of it isn't even in Europe...

An U-21 Championship or similar needing smaller stadia would be more plausible...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The FAI don't do sensible planning. They bid for the BIGGEST project, lack of infrastructure be damned. I can't wait until we bid to be sole hosts of World Cup 2026.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You mean 2034 or 2038, given the rotation policy. At the earliest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That would fall under the FAI don't do sensible planning.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...316281127.html
    HAVING APPEARED more than happy to take a back-seat role when Ireland last bid – with Scotland – to play a part in hosting the event almost a decade ago, FAI chief executive John Delaney seems more positive now about the prospect of the European Championships coming to Ireland in 2020.

Delaney said yesterday in an RTÉ radio interview that a successful bid is “do-able” but insisted that the chances of Ireland, Scotland and Wales successfully landing the event between them would depend on many factors, including the willingness of the GAA and, possibly, the IRFU, to make venues available for the event.

He also said that while Turkey and Georgia are the only two countries at this stage to signal their intention to make solo bids, Uefa have left open the possibility of one of the continent’s bigger nations joining the race somewhere down the line.

“In total you need nine or 10 (stadiums) so that’s do-able,” said Delaney.

“We’d be depending on the support of the GAA and the IRFU, if you were to look at Thomond Park as another stadium. But that’s something you can’t presume either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    You mean 2034 or 2038, given the rotation policy. At the earliest.
    Didn't they do away with that after the Brazil debacle?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    On a slightly related note, on Wednesday Bord Failte put out a public tender notice for the following:

During 2012, a key objective is to validate (or otherwise) the requirement for a “Sports Events Strategy” as a component of the overall Events Ireland strategy. There is an argument that Ireland Inc. would benefit from a more pro-active bidding approach to major international sporting events which would require a 5 (short), 10 (medium) and 15 (long-term) year plan. The Events Ireland team would be well positioned to implement this strategy as part of their overall responsibilities.

1. Specification and Requirements

The objective of this research is to validate (or otherwise) the requirement for a “Sports Events Strategy” as a component of the overall Events Ireland strategy.

The research is required to:

1. Identify current best practice in the sports events tourism sector worldwide, to include an exploration of the rationale/motivation for countries to attract/bid for major events. The successful company will identify the most appropriate cities/countries to form the basis of the benchmark study;

2. Undertake an evaluation of the core functions and appropriate structure required for the effective implementation of a sports events strategy;

3. Identify a list of international short, medium and long-term sports event opportunities (dating to 2027) that Ireland could “pitch for”. In answering this objective an audit of current sports infrastructure and capacity is required;

4. Identify a list of international short, medium and long-term sports event opportunities (dating to 2027) that Ireland could “pitch for” in respect of:

a. Characteristics of the event;

b. Size of event – number of international spectators;

c. Sports facilities and structures needed to support the hosting of the event

d. Level of investment needed to “secure” the event;

e. Geographic target markets – from where do the event attendees travel from;

f. Economic significance to a host destination;

g. Bidding process and timelines;

h. Key and relevant contacts at the event.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    A consultants dream.......$$$$
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    "UEFA Chief gives encouragement to 'Celtic' bid": http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...hosting-hopes/

A possible bid by the Republic of Ireland Scotland and Wales for Euro 2020 has been given a boost after UEFA president Michel Platini made it clear he would not vote for Turkey to host the tournament if Istanbul wins the contest to stage the Olympics.

Istanbul's Olympic chances have soared after the IOC shortlisted the city along with Tokyo and Madrid - and rejected Doha and Baku.

Many Olympic watchers rate Istanbul now as clear favourites - it would be the first city from a predominantly Muslim country to host the Games.

The three Celtic nations have made a formal expression of interest in bidding to host Euro 2020 and Platini's declaration should increase the chance of a bid.

Platini, in Budapest for the FIFA Congress, had backed Turkey for 2020 publicly but said in an interview: "If Turkey is given the Olympic Games, they will not have the Euros. If they don't get the Olympics and they still bid for Euros I will still vote for them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    No way Istanbul is getting the Olympics though. Don't the IOC like to mix it up? Tokyo for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The last Olympics was in Asia. The next is in Europe. The one after that is in South America.
    Europe tend to do one in 2 don't we?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast