Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Joint Bid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I didn't say that. I just said I thought the Korea situation was a closer match. The fact that Derry play in the LOI, and that most people in Derry want their city to be in the ROI means that our border is very different to the one between France and Spain.

They would probably jump up and down and stamp their feet as usual. They might even take UEFA to CAS. God knows what they might do. But from our point of view a LOI club has potentially got €10m to spend on a stadium if the Irish Times is to believed. That's not to be sniffed it

Mad diplomatic notion or not, (a description I wouldn't disagree with) it has currency because it was openly being considered by both the S. Korean FA and Government at the time.

Yes my child?
    My reference to a game in Biarritz has got only to to with the idea of staging games outside the host nations, I could have said Toulouse or Paris or Marrakech or Tunis. That Biarritz is a Basque city obviously held no water with you anyway...

That is my point here. It is a non-runner whether Derry has an LOI club or not. Accept the realities of it now.

Derry City also receive funds from the IFA through Sport NI due to the fact of their geographical location and nothing to do with their status within the LOI.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Derry are to get money from the Brittish government for re-development of the Brandywell, was announced recently enough, but only after Windsor got most of the money for it's re-development. I'd imagine they could also apply for a grant through the FAI.

And for the record, whether or not it would happen, could you actually picture Derry playing in a 30,000 seater stadium? I think not.

There's one argument dealt with.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Derry City is still formally under the jurisdiction of IFA and only plays in the League of Ireland as the result of a special dispensation from the northern organisation.

edit: that is to say, if the IFA withdrew permission tomorrow, Derry would once again be solely answerable to the IFA
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 16/05/2012 at 2:03 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    we haven't a pot to **** in to develop stadiums that won't be used

IF the FAI were any way competent or serious about attrcting tournaments here they'd look to host the Euro u21s. Do up Turners Cross, the Showgrounds, Tallaght and maybe another. Lansdowne for the finals
    Agree with all this.

From the perspective of a LOI supporter, I'd much rather see stadiums developed that would be suitable for LOI football afterwards.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Whether or not we get it is one thing, I just hope we don't embarrass ourselves like we did last time when our bid made us a laughing stock.

If we are to spend money wisely, looking at how any redeveloped grounds or new grounds could also be used by rugby and the GAA would make sense. It would also make the repayments cheaper acroos three codes rather than one.
    Last edited by gastric; 16/05/2012 at 5:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    My reference to a game in Biarritz has got only to to with the idea of staging games outside the host nations, I could have said Toulouse or Paris or Marrakech or Tunis. That Biarritz is a Basque city obviously held no water with you anyway...
    I certainly appreciate that, but the example doesn't equate to the Derry situation because if some/most Basques in San Sebastian or Bilbao don't consider themselves Spaniards, Basques in Biarritz certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    And for the record, whether or not it would happen, could you actually picture Derry playing in a 30,000 seater stadium? I think not.

There's one argument dealt with.
    That's the major problem with this. The only possible future tenant anywhere for a 30,000 seater stadium is Leinster rugby, which means yet another stadium in Dublin.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    The GAA aren't going to build a big stadium in Cork. They have enough large stadiums in Munster that are suitable for their needs with Pairc na Gael, Semple Stadium and Fitzgerald Park.

If this ever got off the ground, The FAI would have to user Lansdowne. If they needed another stadium, they couldn't use Croker I believe because already the bid would have Edinburgh and Glasgow using 2 stadiums per city. Everyone assumes Thomand naturally enough, but another left field option might be Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney. It has been redeveloped, has scope for 30k seats, and there are buckets of hotels etc in the town. Airport close by, rail facilities etc.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Even Thomond has massive problems. It would need 2 new stands and the site is very tight behind both goals. Roads would need to be diverted and houses would have to be demolished unless things have changed on the ground since I was last there.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Even Thomond has massive problems. It would need 2 new stands and the site is very tight behind both goals. Roads would need to be diverted and houses would have to be demolished unless things have changed on the ground since I was last there.
    no, this is still currently the case.
    redevelopement of the Limericks GAA stadium would be Limericks best option. in fact in any other country the Gaelic grounds and Thomand would have been developed as one municipal stadium for use by a few sports. Both were developed separately around the same time and id say the Gaelic grounds hits over 5,000 attendance about twice a year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    The GAA aren't going to build a big stadium in Cork. .
    Isn't Pairc ui Chaoimh earmarked for redevelopment sooner rather than later? An awful pain in the hole to get to, mind you.

12. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If the WRU finally negotiate with the owners of the Arms Park on filling in Glanmor's Gap, you could probably increase the Millennium from 74.500 up to 77,000 at least. There is also talk of Cardiff City increasing their capacity if they finally make it to the premiership.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    3 countries, none of whom share a land border. Two different currencies. Seems a very disjointed bid, can't see this having much legs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Isn't Pairc ui Chaoimh earmarked for redevelopment sooner rather than later? An awful pain in the hole to get to, mind you.
    I understand that, but there is a real possibility it is going to be barely 30k, as they have spent enough money redeveloping the Gaelic Grounds and Fitzgerald Stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    no, this is still currently the case.
    redevelopement of the Limericks GAA stadium would be Limericks best option. in fact in any other country the Gaelic grounds and Thomand would have been developed as one municipal stadium for use by a few sports. Both were developed separately around the same time and id say the Gaelic grounds hits over 5,000 attendance about twice a year
    Aye, it's madness the way things are done in this country. In our small town alone, there is a big leisure community centre in the middle of the town, with gym, indoor hall, swimming pool, and recent floodlit fieldturf pitches.
    The rugby club are a mile outside town with two adult pitches (recently held the towns cup final) with clubhouse and bar. Right beside them are the town soccer club, while the Gaa club have about 30 acres of their own, including a massive clubhouse with indoor hall, a floodlit pitch with stand, and another full size pitch in an adjacent field.
    Then across the river, still in the same town, but in the other county, the other gaa team have the same land, with 2 floodlit full-size pitches, and another soccer club. In a town of about 3k population, and a serious amount of unemployment. absolute madness, and there's plenty more of that around the country.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Pairc Ui Caomih redevelopment plans are in train and the Cork County Board is quite cash rich so funding may not be the problem it seems. I'm biased but as the second biggest city with a good redeveloped airport and good train / road network, and being naturally a football city, I would see Cork as an obvious enough venue. People think Thomond Park is a better venue than it is. Its great for atmosphere but has barely 20K seats and is very basic. Uefa would want lots done to it. More to the point Limerick is not a football city.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    3 countries, none of whom share a land border. Two different currencies. Seems a very disjointed bid, can't see this having much legs.
    2 different currencies for the current and last tournament too though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who knows what currency we'll have in 8 years?

20. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The GAA already have advanced plans to redevelop Páirc Uí Chaoimh into a 45,000 all seater. That presumably would meet the criteria and, perhaps as importantly, gives the government bargaining power to obtain permission if there is any redevelopment grant.

Fitzgerald Stadium is a ridiculous suggestion. It would need to be rebuilt from scratch (It is currently sufficient for its purpose) and the town does not have the necessary infrastructure. Not to mention the permission issue...

Galway is also not going to happen. Galway United don't play anymore. Last year they played in front of less than 1,000 people per game. Connacht's highest attendance ever is about 9,000.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    2 different currencies for the current and last tournament too though.
    Austria/Switzerland share a land border and are relatively simple to travel between. From my time in Switzerland I know most places accepted Euro as well, I'd imagine they were even more receptive to that during tournament times in certain locations. Very similar countries with simple travel between essentially.

Poland/Ukraine is different granted, although they do still have the land border. Its a lot of peoples views that locations for Euro 2012 are too spread out, particularly in Ukraine. The size, distance, different cultures, languages etc are all flagged as potential problems here so we'll have to see how successful that is. I personally don't think UEFA would be in a rush to revisit a bid in the style of Poland/Ukraine again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Austria/Switzerland share a land border and are relatively simple to travel between. From my time in Switzerland I know most places accepted Euro as well, I'd imagine they were even more receptive to that during tournament times in certain locations. Very similar countries with simple travel between essentially.

Poland/Ukraine is different granted, although they do still have the land border. Its a lot of peoples views that locations for Euro 2012 are too spread out, particularly in Ukraine. The size, distance, different cultures, languages etc are all flagged as potential problems here so we'll have to see how successful that is. I personally don't think UEFA would be in a rush to revisit a bid in the style of Poland/Ukraine again.
    japan / korea. miles apart geographically and culturally, different currency, different language and they historically hate each other. Among the best 3 weeks of my life attending the WC in 2002

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast