Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-19 Squad

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    That's a strong looking squad. Excited to see Finn Benoa is a green shirt for the first time!

Also just noticed Liam Delap isn't in the England squads. I'm going to assume he's not injured and begin to wildly speculate
    Neither is louie barry , those 2 would be nice additions for us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    That's a strong looking squad. Excited to see Finn Benoa is a green shirt for the first time!

Also just noticed Liam Delap isn't in the England squads. I'm going to assume he's not injured and begin to wildly speculate
    Bubble bursting in 3... 2... 1... https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...njury-21758785

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Neither is louie barry , those 2 would be nice additions for us
    Looks like Barry is injured, didn't play for Ipswich this weekend either
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's an interesting squad. Vaughan seems to be very highly rated at Oldham and already gets a reasonable amount of first team minutes in League 2. He's only 17.

Possibly the most notable absentee is Sean Roughan. He was playing first team football in League 1 this time last year at 17, was on trial at Southampton and I think possibly Chelsea also during the summer but seems to have disappeared completely this season. Maybe he's injured but if not it's a strange one, thought he'd be a shoe in for the Under 19 squad.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

In the u21 presser, Jim Crawford was asked a question following a discussion about Mipo - couldn't really hear the question, but "Liam" was mentioned, so assume it was Liam Delap. Can't remember the reply exactly, but it wasn't positive.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I was only joking anyway! We realistically have no shot with the lad unless he's definitively not good enough for England and in that scenario, he wouldn't be worth getting excited over.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I was only joking anyway! We realistically have no shot with the lad unless he's definitively not good enough for England and in that scenario, he wouldn't be worth getting excited over.
    Only thing with Delap is that he might not do the whole Bamford thing of preferring one England cap to, say, thirty Ireland caps and might plump for us in such a situation, given what his father has said previously and the fact that he surely does identify as some bit Irish.

I feel dirty speaking like this ..

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    In the u21 presser, Jim Crawford was asked a question following a discussion about Mipo - couldn't really hear the question, but "Liam" was mentioned, so assume it was Liam Delap. Can't remember the reply exactly, but it wasn't positive.
    Press conference is here
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    You know there's lads who won't be good enough for England that would walk into our team. Lads who'll probably get less than a handful of caps or even no caps. Michail Antonio won't get a cap but he'd walk into our team. Lewis Dunk and James Maddison have one cap each and would walk into our team. Danny Ings has three caps for England, how many would he have for us if he was Irish?

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Maddison was qualified which makes it even more frustrating. I’ve said it before, but the lower we sink the less attractive we appear as an option for dual eligibility players. Having a team with prospects for qualification and a manager with status / reputation are factors that will influence players when they make that choice. At the minute, we’re not a great option for anyone with choices.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Some of Cristiano Fitzgerald's background: https://www.buzz.ie/sport/cristiano-...gible-25148929
    Also eligible for France through his mother, and possibly Singapore, where it looks like he was born.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Some of Cristiano Fitzgerald's background: https://www.buzz.ie/sport/cristiano-...gible-25148929
    Also eligible for France through his mother, and possibly Singapore, where it looks like he was born.
    "“I would say very much that Cristiano feels both Irish and French, but he has never lived physically in Ireland or France.”"

That's absolutely ridiculous- he has no right to accept an Irish call-up if he doesn't feel 100% Irish, I don't care where he was reared. He is depriving a full blood Irishman of the honour of a call-up. On top of that, we all know that France are better so if this lad gets a call from them he will jump ship immediately and he will feel 51% French and 49% Irish.

.... End parody.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Yeah Mark McCadden retweeted that article and refers to him as being born in Singapore in the tweet. The mother definitely had a bigger influence on what his name was if the second born son is called Dean, unless the father was a massive Cristiano Ronaldo fan. Because I always assumed he was from Portugal and might not actually qualify for them by the sounds of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I saw another article yesterday that said that the player is named after Cristiano Ronaldo, but it's a bit of a coincidence. His dad has little interest in football, but he happened to be watching the game where Ronaldo made his Manchester United debut. Fitzgerald's mother was pregnant at the time, but they hadn't picked a name. When he came on, he suggested Cristiano to his wife, and that was that!

<EDIT>
    Here's the article: https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...d-25150329.amp

Also says they weren't living in Portugal at the time, and only moved there four years ago, so I don't think he's eligible for Portugal under residency?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 07/10/2021 at 3:18 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It's an interesting squad. Vaughan seems to be very highly rated at Oldham and already gets a reasonable amount of first team minutes in League 2. He's only 17.

Possibly the most notable absentee is Sean Roughan. He was playing first team football in League 1 this time last year at 17, was on trial at Southampton and I think possibly Chelsea also during the summer but seems to have disappeared completely this season. Maybe he's injured but if not it's a strange one, thought he'd be a shoe in for the Under 19 squad.
    Problem is Lincoln don’t have a 23s team and Lincoln have said he’s developed beyond 18s, so he’s stuck in limbo of playing bespoke friendlies here and there. It’s really not ideal...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Match report: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...y-with-sweden/

Good to see Finn get his first cap in green!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Cristiano's name was misspelled on the FAI's Twitter account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    James Abankwah from Pats looks a real talent. Delighted to see him called up.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    It's great to see how diverse that U19 team is as well, really reflective of a modern Ireland and can only be good for us moving forward. 8 of the starting 11 are dual nationals by my count, 9 if you want to include Gallagher and the North!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's great to see how diverse that U19 team is as well, really reflective of a modern Ireland and can only be good for us moving forward. 8 of the starting 11 are dual nationals by my count, 9 if you want to include Gallagher and the North!
    And more lads born or reared outside of Ireland that weren't even English born or reared- Rose and Seary outweighed by Fitzgerald, Finn, MacNulty and Gilsenan.

And on that group, at least 5 are second generation - I don't know Seary's background but Rose's and MacNulty's mothers, Fitzgerald's and Finn's fathers and both Gilsenan's parents are all Irish born.

And to go again on the Rose point, his mother didn't emigrate out of economic necessity- she is a surgeon.

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast