Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Belgium - Saturday, 23rd March 2024 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Belgium - Saturday, 23rd March 2024 - Friendly

I guess squad will be announced on Thursday and there's no where really to talk about what we'd want O'Shea to do etc. I was thinking my starting 11 would probably be:

Kelleher

Doherty O'Shea Scales Manning

Smallbone Cullen Knight

Ogbene Szmodics Johnston

Squad would probably be:

Kelleher
    Bazunu
    Travers

Doherty
    Coleman
    Manning
    McNamara (wouldn't mind Jon Gallagher or Robbie Brady in his place)

Collins
    O'Shea
    Scales
    Omobamidele
    O'Brien (could see McGuinness or McNally ahead if it weren't for injury)

Cullen
    Knight
    Smallbone
    Browne
    Azaz (wouldn't mind Ronan or Moran or Taylor in his place)
    McGrath
    Connell (wouldn't mind Coventry or Kilkenny or Hodge or Lawal or Adeeko in his place) - injury to Molumby has really stretched this position

Ogbene
    Johnston
    McAteer (wouldn't mind Sykes or Harness or Connolly in his place if it's not sorted)
    Ebosele

Szmodics
    Ferguson
    Obafemi (wouldn't mind if Parrott or Cannon were in ahead if he's not considered 100% fit)
    Idah

There's a tonne of injuries, particularly at centre half and deeper midfield (Duffy, Egan, Lenihan, McGuinness, McNally, Molumby, Hendrick, Robinson, O'Dowda*, Farrugia)...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 11/03/2024 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Tets feel free to adjust the thread title or whatever

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Im not dropping Ferguson. Still our best player and we need to try get best out of him.

For the squad O'Brien and Szmodics are definite new caps over the window for me at some point, Szmodics prob should start on form. I think Azaz should come in, but hes been on bench a lot lately. I would call up Lawal because I think he fills a position of need and has the potential to be a mainstay for long time to come.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Not going to go through full squad but this would be my XI. Wouldn’t necessarily be my move for a competitive match but this has an eye to the future while still trying to be competitive against a good side.

——————Kelleher———
    ——-Omobamidele —O’Shea—-O’Brien
    Ebosele—————————————Ogbe ne
    ——————-Cullen—-Lawal——
    ———————-Knight—————-
    ————-Ferguson——-Szmodics——-

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    No Keane? I'd have him in the forward options.

Not sure if I'd have Omobamidele in there, though he's done himself a favour with recent game time. Still think he might be too rusty in a position where we have others playing. I'd be looking at McGuinness/McNally/McLoughlin instead I think.

Connell/Coventry/Kilkenny/Hodge/Lawal/Adeeko have done little enough to merit a call-up - surely there's better options? Though maybe not given injuries and the general crappiness of our midfield.

Keane for Obafemi is the only change I'd really quibble about I think

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'd go...

Kelleher
    Doherty Collins Omobamidele O'Shea
    Cullen Smallbone
    Ogbene Knight Johnston
    Ferguson

The rest of my squad would be: Bazunu, Travers, Coleman, Ebosele, Manning, Scales, O'Brien, Browne, Azaz, Taylor, Sykes, Szmodics, Idah, Keane and Obafemi. I'd also call up McAteer if his paperwork is through.

So no new caps in the starting team, but the chance to cap a few out of O'Brien, Azaz, Taylor, Szmodics and McAteer off the bench.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

Kelleher

Doherty O'Shea Scales Manning

Smallbone Cullen Knight

Ogbene Szmodics Johnston
    Agree with the formation - would revert to the flat 4. Think Manning and Johnston on the left is too defensively suspect, Scales at LB for me. Toss up between Omobamidele and Collins to partner O'Shea if Scales goes to LB - depends on who performs best at club level in the meantime. I'd have reservations about Doherty but don't see other options unless you play 4 CBs across the backline.
    Agree with midfield, picks itself.
    Still question marks about Szmodics' availability/ eligibility for me, so Idah to start.
    And I'd start Kelleher as well now that he is playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    i wouldnt be against 3/4 cbs starting in the back 4 tbh. go 4-5-1 out of possession, ogbene right mid/wing , johnston left. still dont think scales is good enough to be a starter at this level but i think the same about manning so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Kelleher
    Doherty (need an upgrade on him) Collins Omobamidele O'Shea
    Ogbene Cullen Smallbone Browne Johnston
    Ferguson

Browne playing high off ferguson when we have the ball , get him crashing the box which is what he is really good at. not the best when hes used deeper

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'd go...

Kelleher
    Doherty Collins Omobamidele O'Shea
    Cullen Smallbone
    Ogbene Knight Johnston
    Ferguson

The rest of my squad would be: Bazunu, Travers, Coleman, Ebosele, Manning, Scales, O'Brien, Browne, Azaz, Taylor, Sykes, Szmodics, Idah, Keane and Obafemi. I'd also call up McAteer if his paperwork is through.

So no new caps in the starting team, but the chance to cap a few out of O'Brien, Azaz, Taylor, Szmodics and McAteer off the bench.
    Szmodics if willing and fit absolutely must start. His goalscoring has been little short of sensational. It would make no sense whatsoever to have him bench warming - he deserves and should be given maximum time.

12. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Szmodics if willing and fit absolutely must start. His goalscoring has been little short of sensational.
    He's almost ahead of Ferguson on merit at this stage. Ferguson hasn't scored in 20 games now. Not writing Ferguson off obviously - maybe the change of scene would be good for him - but on form Szmodics may legimiately be the better starter option.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 12/03/2024 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Don't see why people think our No. 1 goalie will be dropped. Not like he's had a terrible run for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Don't see why people think our No. 1 goalie will be dropped. Not like he's had a terrible run for Ireland.
    well hes in a poor club run. his shot-stopping numbers are very bad this season
    Last edited by Jd2793; 12/03/2024 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    well hes in a poor club run. his shot-stopping numbers are very bad this season
    Why would that effect his Irish career? He hasn't put a foot wrong for us. Can't see O'Shea rocking the boat for 2 friendlies. I fully expect Bazunu to start both games. Kelleher may get a second half in each, but I think Bazunu is firmly established as number 1. He's in a side pushing for promotion, could still go up automatically if results go their way, and has been an ever-present in the league for them. Don't think he's been as bad as many have made out.
    Last edited by weldoninhio; 12/03/2024 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Why would that effect his Irish career? He hasn't put a foot wrong for us. Can't see O'Shea rocking the boat for 2 friendlies. I fully expect Bazunu to start both games. Kelleher may get a second half in each, but I think Bazunu is firmly established as number 1.
    because hes been bad for a good while now at club level. last year was tough as the squad wasnt good enough so he got a pass but this season has been very rough. kelleher deserves a shot for his form at the highest level of the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    because hes been bad for a good while now at club level. last year was tough as the squad wasnt good enough so he got a pass but this season has been very rough. kelleher deserves a shot for his form at the highest level of the game
    So bad he's been ever-present for a team fighting for automatic promotion?? Tough crowd in here.

Kelleher has played a handful of games again this season and if Allison came back tomorrow he'd be back on bench and EL duties. Bazunu plays week in, week out and has done nothing to deserve being dropped. If he'd been playing poorly for Ireland, I could see your point, but he hasn't. Don't think O'Shea will drop him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    So bad he's been ever-present for a team fighting for automatic promotion?? Tough crowd in here.

Kelleher has played a handful of games again this season and if Allison came back tomorrow he'd be back on bench and EL duties. Bazunu plays week in, week out and has done nothing to deserve being dropped. If he'd been playing poorly for Ireland, I could see your point, but he hasn't. Don't think O'Shea will drop him.

Gavin Bazunu -
    Goals Conceded = 47
    Expected Goals on Target Faced =37.94
    Goals Prevented= -9.06 (worst in the championship)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Gavin Bazunu -
    Goals Conceded = 47
    Expected Goals on Target Faced =37.94
    Goals Prevented= -9.06 (worst in the championship)
    That has nothing to do with his Ireland form. Crazy to think O'Shea is gonna come in and drop him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    That has nothing to do with his Ireland form. Crazy to think O'Shea is gonna come in and drop him.
    so what your essentially saying is Bazunu is bulletproof no matter whathe does at club level? bizarre.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I always favoured Bazunu on the basis that he has been through ups and downs under the pressure that comes with playing regularly, whereas Kelleher has until recently been largely untested. You might have said it's 50/50 in terms of ability but Baz got the nod for the reasons I just listed.

It's more complicated now. I don't think there's a huge amount between them for Ireland, but Kelleher is playing games and he's playing under more pressure than Bazunu, at a crucial time in the season, at the absolute elite level, and he is answering the questions we had about whether he's a bit fragile and inexperienced etc.

To me, it's gone from '50/50 and Bazunu gets the nod' to '50/50 and we're very lucky.' If I was picking the team, I'd start Kelleher in these friendlies, but give Bazunu the 2nd half - keep them both engaged and enthused about playing for Ireland.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    If it was the same manager I'd expect him to keep the same keeper, so Bazunu would continue in that case. But given that it's a different manager, and also that it's two friendlies, I think that leaves the door open for a change to be made for these games.

For me it's nothing at all against Bazunu, he's been great for us. But this seems like the right time to give Kelleher a couple of starts and see how he gets on without the comfort blanket of having an excellent Liverpool team in front of him.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

25. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast