Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-19 Squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well he got that in 2005. He moved to Spain in 2000. Maybe the rules were different then.
    They may have found a loop hole to get him there, it was very rare for a kid that age to go to Europe that young even back then.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    They must have. It may have been because of the medical treatment he underwent. I can't really find anything through Google. Certainly his parents moved over at the time, and they really wanted to sign him, so they could have made an exception and sorted the parents with jobs to enable them move over too. You wouldn't do that for every underage player of course, but if there was one who shone like Messi, you might make an exception.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    The rules were there but not properly enforced. Plenty of young players transferring to clubs and their parents were getting jobs as groundsmen etc. It was the wild west pretty much, people trafficking a sad and common result as well. Something had to happen and Barcelona and Chelsea receiving transfer bans a couple of seasons back sent the message about enforcement and clubs seem to be sticking to the rules. I wouldn't try too hard to figure out how Messi was allowed move to Barcelona as he probably wasn't.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    This is total disaster. There is no point pretending the FAI will be pushed into action and before we know it, we have a league like they do in Belgium or the like. We are serous hot water here.
    Well theres a few ways to look at it. If its handled properly it could work out well. Look at Jamie Mullins for Bohs at the weekend. 16 year old, scored a phenomenal goal. Is a lad like that better off in an academy or playing senior mens football?

I dont trust the FAI to handle it properly but there is great people within the LOI that I do trust to bring through excellent players

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    There was an exception given due to his medical treatment...

Messi had a growth hormone issue and his club in Argentina (Old Boys) couldn't afford to pay for his treatment. I think his father's insurance covered it for 2 years and Newell Old Boys agreed to pay it after that but they then said they couldn't afford it. Think he went on trial to River and/or Boca but they wouldn't pay for the treatment either. Barca agreed to pay for it. So he moved across when he was 13.

FIFA gave dispensation because it was deemed that essentially he moved due to the ability to get medical treatment as opposed to being a move purely for footballing reasons...

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Well theres a few ways to look at it. If its handled properly it could work out well. Look at Jamie Mullins for Bohs at the weekend. 16 year old, scored a phenomenal goal. Is a lad like that better off in an academy or playing senior mens football?

I dont trust the FAI to handle it properly but there is great people within the LOI that I do trust to bring through excellent players
    It also helps to build character, would Connolly and Parrott be such ****s off the field if they had to grow up and dig in with adults at an early age?

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    It also helps to build character, would Connolly and Parrott be such ****s off the field if they had to grow up and dig in with adults at an early age?
    Hard to know with Connolly, but Parrott is better off away from Dublin.

Mountjoy is full of lads that would have been great players for us. Wasted talents. Parrott may become another, but being at a top English club with world class players like Kane is more likely to help him turn away from the anti-social stuff than if he played here.

Parrott was a world class 16/17 year old. I have serious concerns he will become a top player though. He could fall through the leagues or end up back here and become a what if story in the newspapers in twenty years. Players like Knight are very talented but have the desire and that makes them and some of our other young lads more likely to beocme top players. Parrott seems a nicer lad than Connolly from what I hear, but the off field stuff is concerning.

Robbie Keane grew up in Tallaght when it was arguably the toughest place in Dublin. He managed to navigate things because he came from a nice family and had the desire to be a top footballer. Just don't see that with Parrott.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Sure, some fellas go down the route of ~ Sure I would have made it if only the drink / other got me. I suppose sometimes they go down that route because they are not going to make it for possibly many reasons. I know its very hard to make it, the odds are certainly against a fella but sometimes the sad story of the drink / other got me. Ok, injuries would have to be left out of this.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Hard to know with Connolly, but Parrott is better off away from Dublin.

Mountjoy is full of lads that would have been great players for us. Wasted talents. Parrott may become another, but being at a top English club with world class players like Kane is more likely to help him turn away from the anti-social stuff than if he played here.

Parrott was a world class 16/17 year old. I have serious concerns he will become a top player though. He could fall through the leagues or end up back here and become a what if story in the newspapers in twenty years. Players like Knight are very talented but have the desire and that makes them and some of our other young lads more likely to beocme top players. Parrott seems a nicer lad than Connolly from what I hear, but the off field stuff is concerning.

Robbie Keane grew up in Tallaght when it was arguably the toughest place in Dublin. He managed to navigate things because he came from a nice family and had the desire to be a top footballer. Just don't see that with Parrott.
    Keane was miles a head of Parrott at 17. That why he was in the championship making a name for himself while Parrot has been struggling. You are not a world class 17 year old if you are playing U18 or reserve team ball. The very obvious clue is right there!!

I personally don't question Parrott's attitude, desire or work rate etc. I'm not sure if he has the ability or the talent to be a PL player.

You need to excel in a couple of areas (e.g pick 2/ 3 from this (not definitive) list Pace, vision, technique, strength, finishing, work rate, tenacity etc) rather than be decent / average in all areas. That's why a player like James McClean can have a very good PL career: tenacity, pace and work rate Shane Long: Pace, work rate while lads that 'appeared' more talented never made it.

It is a wait and see for me hopefully Troy will come good

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Keane was a far far better player at 17, but to be fair there was very little main land European players in the championship at the time, so it was easier for him

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Keane was a far far better player at 17, but to be fair there was very little main land European players in the championship at the time, so it was easier for him
    Thats true but Robbie was still exceptional.

This arguement is better when people bring up that we used to have players in all the top clubs in England. While true it was before the days that Premiership clubs got players from all over the world. T

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    Keane was miles a head of Parrott at 17. That why he was in the championship making a name for himself while Parrot has been struggling. You are not a world class 17 year old if you are playing U18 or reserve team ball. The very obvious clue is right there!!

I personally don't question Parrott's attitude, desire or work rate etc. I'm not sure if he has the ability or the talent to be a PL player.

You need to excel in a couple of areas (e.g pick 2/ 3 from this (not definitive) list Pace, vision, technique, strength, finishing, work rate, tenacity etc) rather than be decent / average in all areas. That's why a player like James McClean can have a very good PL career: tenacity, pace and work rate Shane Long: Pace, work rate while lads that 'appeared' more talented never made it.

“You need to excel in a couple of areas (e.g pick 2/ 3 from this (not definitive) list Pace, vision, technique, strength, finishing, work rate, tenacity etc) rather than be decent / average in all areas.”

*facepalm* FFS.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

I judge him on the fact that at 16 or 17, he was ripping it up in the Uefa Youth League, was exceptional at academy level and Ireland at underage level. I saw him make clowns of lads who were underage players for Spain, Italy, Germany and England. Some of those lads will play at a very high level. Who knows maybe the next Chiellini or Ramos among them. Long or McClean never had his natural ability.

Unfortunately, I just am not sure about his desire. Too many bad influences around the place and sometimes being heralded as the saviour of a country and a future superstar at a big club like Spurs isn't always something to keep you grounded. Still by all acounts a much nicer lad than Connolly.

A good loan and ongoing experience with us could be huge in the next 12 months.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I'm not sure doing well in the Youth League is the sign of a world class 17 year old. It's very promising, for sure, but a world class 17 year old would be making an impression with the first team (like Keane was)

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I judge him on the fact that at 16 or 17, he was ripping it up in the Uefa Youth League, was exceptional at academy level and Ireland at underage level. I saw him make clowns of lads who were underage players for Spain, Italy, Germany and England. Some of those lads will play at a very high level. Who knows maybe the next Chiellini or Ramos among them. Long or McClean never had his natural ability.

Unfortunately, I just am not sure about his desire. Too many bad influences around the place and sometimes being heralded as the saviour of a country and a future superstar at a big club like Spurs isn't always something to keep you grounded. Still by all acounts a much nicer lad than Connolly.

A good loan and ongoing experience with us could be huge in the next 12 months.
    Youth leagues are still youth leagues.....

Despite his poor performances for Milwall didn't the manager praise his attitude, his workrate in training and his want to keep trying to self improve?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Despite his poor performances for Milwall didn't the manager praise his attitude, his workrate in training and his want to keep trying to self improve?
    And also people forget a little fact, he’s an 18 year old playing his first season of professional football. Not everyone is going to be Robbie Keane and ready at 17, hell I would take Harry Kane every day of the week over Keane yet at the age of 18-19 I would have been laughed at for saying such a thing. I’m not saying Parrott will necessarily reach that level but at this point of his career it’s the trend season on season that matters over what happens in one season. And the same goes for if Parrott goes to a Swansea on loan (personally would love a loan like that) and rips up the championship, he just needs to keep building. If Parrott has 3 loan spells in a row like the one he had recently I’ll start getting concerned at that point but until then I’m keeping an open mind.

It’s noticeable that Parrott is putting on muscle which is normal at his age and probably for the best but as a result he may make slower progress than people hoped in his early years but once he fills out (may take a season or two) he will be better for it, he’s at a good club that know what’s required in this department so I have faith it will work out provided Parrott keeps his head down.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Yeah as Pineapple Stu said it might not necessarily be the sign of a world class player. Barca for one have 2 young lads who are clearly a level above even elite youngsters in the Uefa Youth Leagues such as Pedri.

Still, I would be of the opinion that it is relative. If a lad can make a show of underage internationals at the biggest clubs in the world it is a marker of an exceptional talent. Parrott definitely was that 18 months ago.

He just needs the right move and if he gets it, I think if he keeps his off the field stuff together, he should be fine. A move to Europe where it is more technical could be the makings of him.

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's funny that Aaron Connolly is two years older and has a skillset that allows him to break through at a good level quite early. Parrott has a more refined skillset and less explosive pace and a preference to play centrally. Always going to be more difficult and take a little longer.

But I fancy the penny to drop with Parrott before it does with Connolly. I just don't get Connolly. There's the paper stories which could be rubbish but there's the lack of development on the pitch too. His trajectory is all over the place.

Both could be great but Parrott might get the momentum and trajectory right before Connolly does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Mazeed Ogungbo signs his first professional contract with Arsenal: https://www.arsenal.com/news/ogungbo...ional-contract
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's funny that Aaron Connolly is two years older and has a skillset that allows him to break through at a good level quite early. Parrott has a more refined skillset and less explosive pace and a preference to play centrally. Always going to be more difficult and take a little longer.

But I fancy the penny to drop with Parrott before it does with Connolly. I just don't get Connolly. There's the paper stories which could be rubbish but there's the lack of development on the pitch too. His trajectory is all over the place.

Both could be great but Parrott might get the momentum and trajectory right before Connolly does.
    There's another element here, that shouldn't be forgotten about - if we're referring to off-field stuff/personality etc. It's much easier to pillory a young pro for lavishness, excess and brash personality - than it is to because of who you're pally with.

What have we seen/heard about of Connolly? A spread in some online rag where he's on a yacht/speedboat, with a pair of speedos on looking buff and a girl on his arm. And a couple of quotes somewhere that says he's arrogant/cocky or whatever.
    What have we seen/heard about of Parrott? Rumours (and a couple of pics) linking him to serious players in the Dublin cartels. But that's it.

If it were my kid, I know which stories I'd prefer to see in the media (well neither, but you get the point I'm making surely :-) )
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast