Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-19 Squad

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Its a complete joke to say that people know nothing about these players. Grealish has played with us since under 15s.If you have any interest in youth footbal it is fairly easy to head to home games which now thankfully are not always in dublin but spread around country. Channels like mutv and liverpool tv which most of us have if u have sky show youth,under19 and reserve games practically every week plus most teams have inhouse tv channels such as villa that have youth team highlights that are cheap to subscribe to or easy to find posted on line. Alot of us are prob involved a bit in underage football with work or just as a hobby as well meaning we see players at these levels before they head away.Some of us also spend time in uk for work or to go to premier league games and it is always fairly easy on a saturdeay morning to head off to a youth game if you want to see irish lads in action.Doolin has a track record of trying to dominate players such as brady and duffy which I think has no place in youth football. If the same is happening with grealsih then that is not right. I have seen nothing to make me think grealsih is not completely commited to us but you have to nurture that and not try to knock the love of playing for ireland out of kids
    No he doesn't. He left Brady out because Brady had club commitments, and subsequently was unable to reach him by phone. Duffy, from what I recall, was ineligible for competitive U19 games and was picked when he became eligible before Noel King promoted him to the 21s. This ridiculous idea that Doolin is playing power games and intentionally leaving out talented players is just that, ridiculous. He's picking what he thinks is the best team and so far he's achieving more than previous managers and playing good football from what I've seen. If Grealish is so upset by being left on the bench that he discovers he's English after all, then so be it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think you're over reacting Liam in that we're all interested in the underage set up, and actually this forum and your posts are great sources of info.

I think our meeja has had a track record in making out there are player / manager tensions at all levels, sometimes making stories when there probably aren't any, so we're a bit suspicious that this may be happening here. I think it's fair for CD to simply query whether Doolin is picking his best players - a manager's prerogative - or picking players based on other issues.

Keep posting updates on the squads and the games - I appreciate it and I'm sure others do too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No he doesn't. He left Brady out because Brady had club commitments, and subsequently was unable to reach him by phone. Duffy, from what I recall, was ineligible for competitive U19 games and was picked when he became eligible before Noel King promoted him to the 21s. This ridiculous idea that Doolin is playing power games and intentionally leaving out talented players is just that, ridiculous. He's picking what he thinks is the best team and so far he's achieving more than previous managers and playing good football from what I've seen. If Grealish is so upset by being left on the bench that he discovers he's English after all, then so be it.
    Duffy, Mcginty and brady played in the original qualifiers for the 2011 european championships but were subsequently droped/not included in the under19s finals tournament that summer.There were no club commitments for these players in July 2011 they were simply ommited so your arguments are not correct. How could brady and duffy not be good enough for the under 19s in the summer of 2011?Nobody is saying Grealish is upset and as you say if he is a commited irish man as i hope he is he will take his chance when it comes. All I am saying is I would rather see underage managers nurture young talent and do there best to not alienate them before they move on to senior where there is plenty of time for that!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I have never seen Ryan Coombes in my life or if I have I was not aware of it.Has he been involved in this age group in the last 3 or 4 years cause if he has he has escaped my attention.
    First of all I deleted my previous post asd it may have overly aggressive, so apologies there. I wasn't trying to suggest you don't know your stuff about the underage set up

Coombes has been part of the Ireland schools set up for the last couple of years (I know its different to the youths) and was on stand by for the last squad.

And yes, he looks a terrific prospect. He's an attacking midfielder
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Duffy, Mcginty and brady played in the original qualifiers for the 2011 european championships but were subsequently droped/not included in the under19s finals tournament that summer.There were no club commitments for these players in July 2011 they were simply ommited so your arguments are not correct. How could brady and duffy not be good enough for the under 19s in the summer of 2011?Nobody is saying Grealish is upset and as you say if he is a commited irish man as i hope he is he will take his chance when it comes. All I am saying is I would rather see underage managers nurture young talent and do there best to not alienate them before they move on to senior where there is plenty of time for that!
    Far enough, I remembered the Duffy situation wrong - seems he was just left out of the elite stage having played in the qualifiers, while Brady and McGinty were playing for Manchester United. Doolin then went with the squad that won the elite stage for the final tournament. Like I said before, if Grealish is Irish he'll play for us; if he's not, he'll go to England. Being left out of a winning team won't change that.

edit: was Duffy not playing in the 21s by the time of the elite qualifiers?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    First of all I deleted my previous post asd it may have overly aggressive, so apologies there. I wasn't trying to suggest you don't know your stuff about the underage set up

Coombes has been part of the Ireland schools set up for the last couple of years (I know its different to the youths) and was on stand by for the last squad.

And yes, he looks a terrific prospect. He's an attacking midfielder
    Thanks for that information thats the reason I like discussing underage players so when maybe I see a pats game occasionally I can have a look out for a fella like coombes whereas otherwise I would know nothing about him. To be honest if he was at wolves or villa or someone cross channelI prob would be aware of him which shows a complete bias on my part towards cross channel compared to league of ireland which is obviously bad on my part.Best of luck to him and again thanks for info

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think you're over reacting Liam in that we're all interested in the underage set up, and actually this forum and your posts are great sources of info.

I think our meeja has had a track record in making out there are player / manager tensions at all levels, sometimes making stories when there probably aren't any, so we're a bit suspicious that this may be happening here. I think it's fair for CD to simply query whether Doolin is picking his best players - a manager's prerogative - or picking players based on other issues.

Keep posting updates on the squads and the games - I appreciate it and I'm sure others do too.
    Absolutely cheers might have overeacted abit alright it was a bit of a diva moment! Listen Im happy to not question underage managers motives from now on and any info people provide about players who are not been regularly picked can just be seen as extra knowledge for us that are interested

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Clear from Grealishs twitter that he is very fed up

"Done with this sh*t, get me home asap"

and other Irish players seem disappointed in his omissions too based on comments
    Last edited by Manblue; 17/10/2012 at 5:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Clear from Grealishs twitter that he is very fed up

"Done with this sh*t, get me home asap"

and other Irish players seem disappointed in his omissions too based on comments
    that was a few days ago, he's also posted that he was delighted to see the team qualify for the Elite round.
    seemed really happy that his Villa teammate Drennan was captain
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    that was a few days ago, he's also posted that he was delighted to see the team qualify for the Elite round.
    seemed really happy that his Villa teammate Drennan was captain

It was two days ago and hes hardly going to say hes raging they qualified or not be happy for his teammate in all honesty. Its clear hes not happy and he is trying to emphasize he hasn't played a minute by saying it to numerous people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    It was two days ago and hes hardly going to say hes raging they qualified or not be happy for his teammate in all honesty. Its clear hes not happy and he is trying to emphasize he hasn't played a minute by saying it to numerous people.
    Again, why would he be happy that he's on the bench? Why would any player be happy? Just because he tweeted it, that doesn't it make it any more legitimate. These are still kids we're talking about. He's happy we qualified and annoyed he didn't get enough (any) time on the pitch. No different to every one of the squad that didn't play. No big deal. Standard football response (which doesn't usually go on twitter)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Again, why would he be happy that he's on the bench? Why would any player be happy? Just because he tweeted it, that doesn't it make it any more legitimate. These are still kids we're talking about. He's happy we qualified and annoyed he didn't get enough (any) time on the pitch. No different to every one of the squad that didn't play. No big deal. Standard football response (which doesn't usually go on twitter)
    Someone mentioned they didnt know if he was unhappy or not, I was simply pointing out that he doesn't seem to be. Granted this is reasonable, and its better than people who are content to sit on the bench so I dont see it as a big negative. The manner in which he's vented his frustrations is disappointing but is one of the problems in modern day football I suppose with social media.

Being put out by not playing is one thing but looking to go home is another, he still had a squad part to play when he posted this, and regarding the conversation with Williams, I'm sure he could of done this in private if he wasn't trying to make a point of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Every player who sits on the bench gets upset about it. Even Paul McShane. Stephen Kelly got annoyed about it but he still ultimately got on the plane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Every player who sits on the bench gets upset about it. Even Paul McShane. Stephen Kelly got annoyed about it but he still ultimately got on the plane.
    Haha you would think, but some are happy to take the money and sit on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think substitutes get appearance fees unless they appear in the game, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I don't think substitutes get appearance fees unless they appear in the game, unless I'm very much mistaken.
    I was being sarcastic, referring to some premiership players with big pay packets rather than dropping down and playing with poorer teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ah right, no comprendo. Not sure what Darron Gibson was so annoyed about then, he's a pro at sitting on the bench.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    in fairness grealish didnt seem that annoyed on twitter not exactly in the james mcclean catagory of outbursts.He will get his chance cant beat class

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    grealish in under 18 squad and he bought a new friend from villa with him which is nice http://www.fai.ie/international/yout...18/102873.html interesting few new faces.Good to see young mcloughlin who played a good bit for dundalk this year right full before move to everton. Wixted in from derby who seems to have good reputation at club level but was not involved massively with us at under17. The american Gooch is in the squad his mum is irish

Edit :Apologies to Cornflakes who posted this in the irish abroad section earlier which i didnt see
    Last edited by liamoo11; 08/11/2012 at 6:23 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Young Guns: Lynden Gooch
    Published: 08 November, 2012
    by Stuart Vose

American U18 star in the spotlight.

Football has always been something of a family affair for budding star Lynden Gooch.

The American is in the first year of his scholarship on Wearside after making the long journey from Santa Cruz, California, to join the Black Cats.

Gooch, an attack-minded midfielder, was born in the US and holds a British passport.

My brother was my role model football-wise and I just wanted to do what he was doing

- Lynden Gooch

His English father was a big influence but brother Anthony was the model for young Lynden’s footballing ambitions.

The older Gooch has followed a different path to his sibling and is currently playing for San Diego State University, where he is studying kinesiology.

“I started playing basically because of my brother and followed in his footsteps,” Gooch explained when met up with safc.com at Sunderland’s Academy of Light training ground.

“He was my role model football-wise and I just wanted to do what he was doing. My dad, who’s from England, always coached us.

“I played for my local club, the Santa Cruz Breakers, and for the state team in California.

“I probably realized at the age of about 10 that I wanted to play football professionally.

“The US held an Olympic development programme and I did that, went through everything and got into the national team from there.”

Having gained a taste for the game, Gooch made rapid progress and came to Sunderland’s attention thanks to a chance trip to the UK aged 10.

A hat-trick in a friendly impressed Academy staff and kicked off a long relationship which has blossomed into a full-time scholarship on Wearside.

“I was playing with a centre of excellence in my local area and we headed over to England on a trip which Sunderland were involved with,” he explained.

“I scored a hat-trick in my first game and everything went from there.

“It started off with me coming over twice a year for two weeks at a time and playing and training so they could monitor me and watch my progress.”

The American made the decision to leave home and follow his dream after being offered scholarship terms, arriving at the Academy of Light in July.

Gooch has made a good start to playing football full-time and he dreams of following in the footsteps of the likes of Clint Dempsey by playing in the Barclays Premier League.

“Getting into the swing of things has been fine,” he added. “I was already familiar with the club and knew everyone which made things easier.

“I was playing well right off the bat and managed to score a few goals too, which helped me settle.

“I’ve found training full-time to be a little bit hard as I was only training three times a week back home.

“It didn’t take long to get used to it though and I would much rather be playing football full-time than part-time!”

He added: “We’ve done well in some games but lately we’ve been making silly mistakes which have been letting us down.

“I still think we’re playing well and doing well and we still have two games in hand, so we can climb the league.”

As well as his club career, things are blossoming on the international front too following an approach from the Republic of Ireland.

Gooch, who qualifies through his Irish mother, will fly out to join the under-18 squad this weekend ahead of two friendlies against Switzerland next week.

Having swapped the US for Europe to ply his footballing trade, Gooch has seen the continent’s obsession with the game first hand but believes football is also carving out a significant niche in his homeland.

“Football is getting bigger, definitely,” he explained.

“In Santa Cruz we are close to the San Jose Earthquakes and they are a club who are definitely expanding.

“The ex-Premier League players coming over is definitely getting people interested and the game is growing with kids, for sure.

“I think eventually football will be contending with the other major North American sports

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast