Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-19 Squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    You play schoolboy football where you go to school, nationality has nothing to do with it. Ryan Giggs played for England schoolboys.
    He played 5 times for their U16s and was involved with their U17s as well. The move to Glasgow then killed his chances of eligibility for them, unfortunately for him

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    He played 5 times for their U16s and was involved with their U17s as well. The move to Glasgow then killed his chances of eligibility for them, unfortunately for him
    England do that regularly in their underage sides picking dual players who when it gets to actual competitive UEFA games at under 17 are often not even eligible or really interested

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    England do that regularly in their underage sides picking dual players who when it gets to actual competitive UEFA games at under 17 are often not even eligible or really interested
    I'm sure they do. How many Irish born and bred lads take up that offer? I don't remember Robbie Keane togging out for a few games for England at 16 soon as he moved to Wolves. Don't see the need to defend him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I'm sure they do. How many Irish born and bred lads take up that offer? I don't remember Robbie Keane togging out for a few games for England at 16 soon as he moved to Wolves. Don't see the need to defend him.
    How many Irish players move over at that age?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Johnny Kenny, just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago, scored a hat trick last night for Sligo Rovers v Bohs. Very impressive.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    it’ll be interesting to see how many of our 2003 group go to the UK now as they will soon be 18 if not already.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    It would be great to see how Kenny does abroad, be it in UK or continental Europe. I would favor him finishing the season with Sligo through November, then moving on after a solid season behind him. Any clubs sniffing around? I have not read about any speculation…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    First professional contract for Anselmo Garcia MacNulty at Wolfsburg: https://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/en/news...ntract-signed/

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Has anyone seen much of Garcia MacNulty and knows what type of player he is?

All the signs are very exciting so far, just curious as to what he offers! Disappointed we didn't get a glimpse of him with the U21s.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    He’s calm and silky and reads the game well. Comfortable under pressure, good first touch, put simply, he’s a footballer. Mistakes will happen as he moves up the levels given the position he’s in but he’s got the temperament to deal with it I think.

He’s comfortable in the air as you’d expect but he’s not McGuinness. Something that could well improve over time as he gets more comfortable with his body.

He’s not crazy quick but he’s not slow to the point you’d worry about it being a problem.

Met him and his mam once, seemed like lovely people

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Started today in friendly for Wolfsburg. Played first half, didn’t realize he was left legged. Sharp passer, did ok, made some mistakes. He played first half and I believe he was taken off at HT. Nice to see him be involved preseason anyways

Full game here https://vfl.ink/qv4s7

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Bosun Lawal supposedly moving to Celtic (interest from Gorica in Croatia interestingly) our players never learn about avoiding Celtic like the plague.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Hopefully nothing in that, would prefer to see him go to Croatia to be honest.

Either way if the rumours of a transfer are true it suggests that he's not as highly rated at Watford as was originally made out.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Hopefully nothing in that, would prefer to see him go to Croatia to be honest.

Either way if the rumours of a transfer are true it suggests that he's not as highly rated at Watford as was originally made out.
    He was the captain of their u18 side and won academy player of the year, highly doubt they would be letting a player like that go especially with his attributes like height and versatility, he’s going to be an absolute monster when he gets older (easily 6’5 ft + I’d imagine).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Celtic see his potential and offer him first team opportunities and maybe that is what’s convinced him, despite what I’ve said the new coach they have in is a coach that likes promoting youth so it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case as I can’t see Lawal seriously giving up a premiership academy to go to an academy that’s been a graveyard for Irish players without a good reason.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Has anyone seen much of Garcia MacNulty and knows what type of player he is?

All the signs are very exciting so far, just curious as to what he offers! Disappointed we didn't get a glimpse of him with the U21s.
    He played alongside Omobamidele in the U17s finals a few years ago - saw a couple of the games online and I thought he was actually better than Omobamidele... and I'm not saying that Omobamidele was in any way poor in those games. So given how Omobamidele's career path is going, I'm feeling positive about Garcia McNulty's prospects

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    He played alongside Omobamidele in the U17s finals a few years ago - saw a couple of the games online and I thought he was actually better than Omobamidele... and I'm not saying that Omobamidele was in any way poor in those games. So given how Omobamidele's career path is going, I'm feeling positive about Garcia McNulty's prospects
    I believe Garcia played as a LB in that team also as the CB combo was Sobowale and Omobamidele.

Yeah I’m not sure who I rate higher but Garcia McNulty does look a real gem from what I’ve seen of him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I believe Garcia played as a LB in that team also as the CB combo was Sobowale and Omobamidele.

Yeah I’m not sure who I rate higher but Garcia McNulty does look a real gem from what I’ve seen of him.
    Jay Furlong was at left back and was excellent. Sobawele injured his quad and came off during the first game, resulting in McNulty playing. He then played the second match, before Sobawele returned from injury for the third group game.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    https://twitter.com/FTFpodIRE/status...823244806?s=19

Bosun Lawal signing tomorrow for Celtic according to these guys. Maybe it's a great move with the new manager in situ... That is being optimistic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://twitter.com/FTFpodIRE/status...823244806?s=19

Bosun Lawal signing tomorrow for Celtic according to these guys. Maybe it's a great move with the new manager in situ... That is being optimistic.
    I’d question who on earth is advising these kids, how many potential Irish careers do Celtic need to destroy before these players get in their heads to avoid Celtic like the plague?

They destroyed Afolabi, seemed a decent prospect before he went there, they are in the process of destroy Lee O’Connor and who knows what they will do to Luca Connell next.

My only hope is maybe they see his potential and will sign him as a first team player.

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    The only possible defence of Celtic I could offer here is that they probably didn't destroy Afolabi - he was never as good as he was made out to be, he just had a big physical advantage at underage level that didn't exist at senior level. Southampton saw that and released him.

Other than that though, yes they've been a disaster for Irish players. Even someone like Barry Coffey - he was highly rated leaving Ireland, a few years at Celtic left him in a place where he didn't exactly tear up any trees at Cliftonville. Maybe that was always his level but we'll never know how good he might have been had he gone to a club with a better youth setup.

Their handling of Connell has been particularly dreadful - left him sitting there for 18 months and then sent him to the Scottish fourth division. Incredible mismanagement of the player's development.

I know next to nothing about Lawal but he mustn't have felt he was anywhere near to getting a shot at Watford if he has left just as they've been promoted. Only hope for him now if that he might be already ready for the first team (unlikely, I know). If he needs further development of his game through coaching and suitable reserve football he won't get that at Celtic.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast