Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Squad Discussion

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    to be honest id be happy enough gibson missing out and mccarthy getting his place, with mcclean coming also.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear gibson say he didnt want to come. He seems a bit aloof the lad sometimes.
    Yeh. It's not like he's had to put up with constant abuse just to play for his country or anything. I can see him telling trap to shove it as he's got disneyland booked...

2. Thanks From:

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Heard it's Fahey.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Heard it's Fahey.
    Where?

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Where?
    A fella i work with this morning told me he was told he was out but it was due to the injury so i suppose doesn’t sound like a personal reason.
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The 'personal reason' idea has really gathered momentum.
    There's only one person who can interpret the subtleties behind Trap's 'crypticity' and that's not Malone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Harsh if Fahey's left out, for any reason other than injury, having scored the goal that set us on the road to Poland/Ukraine. He has never let us down in the green and is very reliable. I'd love to see him on the plane
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The 'personal reason' idea has really gathered momentum.
    There's only one person who can interpret the subtleties behind Trap's 'crypticity' and that's not Malone.
    Exactly. Malone's interpretation of a non-insinuation has really grown legs, as would be expected when a major broadsheet draws such conclusions. Were the Sun or Mirror to have sensationalized those comments then I expect that the more informed footballing public would have ignored it, but the fact that it's an Irish Times journo, regardless of which one, that is pushing the 'personal reason' idea it does assume a small bit of credibility.

Malone could easily have inside information that he is prohibited from disclosing in the article and neglected to refer to in the article also, in which case next week his story will be justified. If the story is down to an injury then he has a small bit of egg on his face.

I think the most likely player Trap is referring as being a doubt for the Euro's (for one reason or another) is Fahey, I'm afraid to say. He's the one missing from club action most of late, apart from Hunt. And it's hardly Hunt on the basis of how Trap has spoken of him. I'm only speculating here, but that seems to be all that can be done.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Malone could easily have inside information that he is prohibited from disclosing in the article and neglected to refer to in the article also, in which case next week his story will be justified. If the story is down to an injury then he has a small bit of egg on his face.
    I don't mind what Malone wrote. Regardless of what transpires, he deserves no egg. He, like us here, would have an element of desperation to get a hint of what Trap was thinking re the tail enders in the squad
    The 'personal reason' might be a stretch or it might be a goer. Malone is just speculating as to what Trap was thinking and mentioned the 'personal reasons' as one of a few worrying prospects.
    I think we call allow ourselves to be worried.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    More rumour and speculation from Dan McDonnell

Manager Giovanni Trapattoni threw a curveball into proceedings on Saturday when he suggested that an established squad member had an issue that could prevent them from being involved in the finals. Trapattoni had earlier indicated that the reason why McClean is in with a better chance of making the plane would soon become clear.

It's not uncommon for the Italian's comments to get lost in translation, but there is awareness in FAI circles that someone's travel plans are in doubt, and not necessarily because of a straightforward injury issue.

FAI chief executive John Delaney yesterday admitted that he knew of a development, but said it was an issue for management. When asked to confirm that it was a fitness problem, he chose to remain tight-lipped. "I'd prefer not to comment," he said. "That's for the manager. He brought me across that (an issue) on Saturday morning."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I heard Stephen Ward, ages ago, booked a caravan in Courtown for June and his moth will kill him if he's not there to play crazy golf in Pirate's Cove with her.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I heard Stephen Ward, ages ago, booked a caravan in Courtown for June and his moth will kill him if he's not there to play crazy golf in Pirate's Cove with her.
    Got butterflies in my tummy reading that...

Anyway, I heard it's Duff - apparently he's been mispronouncing team mates' names all season and has booked elocution lessons in dʒun and dʒəˈlaɪ.
    http://foot.ie/threads/5965-Damien-D...=1#post1592152
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It could well be Fahey and be something as innocent as an injury keeping him out.

Birmingham play the first leg of their play-off against Blackpool in a couple of days and the Birmingham Mail reported Fahey is close to fitness as recently as a couple of days ago.

Chris Hughton may well want to keep up the mystery in the fog of war before an important fixture, but let Trap know on the quiet. Trap could be being mysterious with the personal reason line because it doesn't let the cat out of the bag.

This is possibly the most speculative post I have ever made on any forum, anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It is not Fahey.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Gibson isn't on the team or the bench for Everton tonight.
    There isn't any reference to that on the BBC team news.

Is this mysterious?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He picked up an injury on Saturday, no? No explanation of why but he played until half time so it's probably not too serious.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Is there any chance this is another lost in translation moment with Trap?? I suppose not given that Delaney has commented on the matter as well.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I wonder is Seamus Coleman the player in question?

Since the defeat to Liverpool in the FA Cup which he was responsible for, Coleman has went off the radar completely.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He was on the bench tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Is there any chance this is another lost in translation moment with Trap?? I suppose not given that Delaney has commented on the matter as well.
    There's something up for sure, it's just a question of what.
    ATM, I'd go more for O'Donnell's guess that there's a player mulling over a decision to have an operation over the summer. That's the 'personal decision', whether to have it or not.
    It's not Duff, McGeady or Hunt.
    Possibly Trap was selecting Fahey to cover the wide midfield. The player in question is probably a central midfielder, if he drops out will mean Fahey will be tied up in CM and Trap will bring in McClean to fill the wide position.

Could be Gibson or it could be Green

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There's something up for sure, it's just a question of what.
    ATM, I'd go more for O'Donnell's guess that there's a player mulling over a decision to have an operation over the summer. That's the 'personal decision', whether to have it or not.
    It's not Duff, McGeady or Hunt.
    Possibly Trap was selecting Fahey to cover the wide midfield. The player in question is probably a central midfielder, if he drops out will mean Fahey will be tied up in CM and Trap will bring in McClean to fill the wide position.

Could be Gibson or it could be Green
    You would imagine if it is a player who needs an operation, then surely it has to be a squad player who is most unlikely to see game time at the Euros.

That could be fahey but I would be surprised if it was. Others that come to mind would be foley, green, one of the reserve keepers....

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast