Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Questions Re Dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Sounds like a doomsday scenario in Dundalk.
    Sad to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    What the feic happened though? I thought it was all going well, being managed well and revenue coming in from other streams other than matchday. Can Dundalk fans name three things that are happening thats caused this scenario?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    My own guess is that the big money being made via the bars at OP and also in the highly successful youth development centre(ydc) is getting siphoned off by Gerry Matthews to help him pay for the planning costs that are due to Dundalk town Council/LCC.Matthews promised all along that ALL money made by these bars & money from the ydc would go towards the general running of the club.This clearly hasn't happened.

I think that Matthews has engineered a crisis situation at the club that will invoke an interested party(DFC Trust,Fastfix,combo of both) to take over the club along with the debts it has incurred and therefore releasing him from said debts.

End game is not far off imho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    What the feic happened though? I thought it was all going well, being managed well and revenue coming in from other streams other than matchday. Can Dundalk fans name three things that are happening thats caused this scenario?
    Building of the YDC and the associated costs.
    Owner being involed in construction and associated costs.
    Manager ****ing off un/happy fans.

Now on the three things that went wrong! Where to start............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I think that there are two.

1. The Board fell apart after the owner decided to sell the club but failied to agree a deal with buyers. Businesses need good management.
    2. Attendances have halved since first year up, no club can absorb that loss of revenue without problems.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It's a combination of everything.

Devious owner and his lackeys.
    Naive supporters trust.
    Insulted and demoralised potential buyers.

Add in lies, spin, deception, stupidity and the mother of all 3 card tricks. When the normal club supporters are insulted to such a degree that they feel complete disconnect with the club, then everything falls apart. I am grateful for the owner's initial efforts to stabilise the club, he did put some of his own money in (regardless of what he wanted on the side) and gave alot of his time. However when results on the field didn't match the usual whingers and moaners (every club has them) in pubs and clubs around the town's expectations, the owner just speeds up his exit strategy. It's sad and the club could go bang over the summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I saw he said two clubs already unable to pay wages. Are Monaghan the other I wonder?
    Nope , we are up to date at the moment I'm told , don't know how long that will continue
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    My opinion is this:
    1. No coherent plans for the direction of the club since 2009/2010 and the club almost operating in a limbo state from season to season 40%
    2. GM came out last year and said he wanted out. i deal with these people everyday and when your owner wants out then you get him out as fast as possible. 20%
    2. Building a YDC but with absolutely no idea on how to run one and to properly utilise the asset. it is now in actual fact a bingo hall with a couple of artifical pitches 15%
    3. going on a rampage of cutting costs to the extent that it is now at the stage that for each cost being cut the benefit being offered is far greater than the cut. 15%
    4. Sacking john Gill- hence believing every single little promise that blacky connors told him. 5%
    5. unfair dismissal cases with dave rogers and lisa kelly all cost the club dear funds, also there is the dragging the club through the dirt during t/o negotiations, lotto money as **** sticks, his other business's falling apart and using the club to prop them up

to be fair to him though, he did do good for the club and i applaud him for that. Up until 2010 we possibly were the best run team in the country on and off the pitch. But as i said when the owner of a club, business or anything else losses their heart in what they are doing then they should get out and fast.
    Long Live King Kenny

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    That's the fairest and most decent summary of the situation JL, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post

2. Building a YDC but with absolutely no idea on how to run one and to properly utilise the asset. it is now in actual fact a bingo hall with a couple of artifical pitches 15%
    Good post jlw but you are wrong on this point.The facilities provided in that "bingo hall" are top notch.Tell me what way you would have built it?What way would you run it? What would you change? Or are you just running the it down for the sake of it? It seems to me that Matthews is hanging on to it for a reason,the reason being that it is a cash cow.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Good post jlw but you are wrong on this point.The facilities provided in that "bingo hall" are top notch.Tell me what way you would have built it?What way would you run it? What would you change? Or are you just running the it down for the sake of it? It seems to me that Matthews is hanging on to it for a reason,the reason being that it is a cash cow.
    Bullit, I think he's saying it for the reason that bingo halls and artificial pitches make money, hence the big man and his buddies will fight tooth and nail for it. They value it highly and the price on it is way above what you'd expect for anything in these straitened times, but what else can be expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    I am not running it down. it is good to have an asset that hopefully in future will generate revenue stream. It is my opinion that during the time focus was just to build it without any though or proper planning on how to utilise it and to run it properly.
    it was built purely for youth development it would be next to impossible for the centre to run itself. It would also be very speculative to think that dundalk fc could build a conveyor belt of talent that could be sold accross the water to pay for the centre.
    to counter that you need functions and functions do be held there. But there is not as many functions being held there that would hoped to be. Dundalk and ireland are different places now than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

What would I do? tbh I dont know, hire an events manager or get someone in who intimately knows how to run a youth centre and to use it to feed the 1st team. but it will be a very long time imo before this centre becomes a cash cow. the revenues generated from it will take a very long time to pay back. Centres like these you build and you hope in 20 yrs that it will pay back but we all know the reason why it is a perceived cash cow is because the costs have been landed on DFC and the company now running the centre have no costs.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I think the YDC or Oriel Active as it's now called is good, nice bar, a gym for the players and we can hold events in it - like the European badminton tournament, Take Me Out, Strictly Come dancing, large Poker tournaments, snooker expeditions, and probably other things that I can't think of. But on a football side of things there is only 3 indoor pitches in it, not a whole lot in my opinion. Even though it has only recently closed JJB in town had 11 pitches, all that could be converting into larger pitches, plus the 12th pitch that was turned into a kiddies play area. And still it closed down despite being busy every night of the week (not sure of the exact reasons). There is tonnes of artificial pitches now in town, so on the whole 3 5-A-side pitches for me isn't a whole lot for the time, money and effort put into the YDC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I miss Ezeikials pontificating about how utterly fantastically run Dundalk are and how every other team needed to do things the Dundalk way.... Lol spoofer.

That said, I wish Dundalk all the best.
    yea, interesting that the poster so quick to pontificate on other clubs......................

Wish Dundalk all the best and hope they can come through this. Appears from the outside to be behind the scenes politics and that is never a good sign. Times are difficult enough for LOI clubs without the added complication of personal 'agendas'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    From bad to worse up in Dundalk, missed another wages payment to the players this week according to a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

With the break coming up, it's not unreasonable to assume the players can forget about their wages for the next four or five weeks too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

With the break coming up, it's not unreasonable to assume the players can forget about their wages for the next four or five weeks too.
    I would have taken that as a given unless they get a whack load of cash in from else where. Seeing as Dundalk have broke players contracts can they look for a new club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Who gets paid on a Tuesday?!

The players will be paid this week, confirmed by the club. Last week's wages wont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Who gets paid on a Tuesday?!

The players will be paid this week, confirmed by the club. Last week's wages wont.
    So what you are saying is that last weeks wages will be paid a week late, and they won't be paid this week's wages on time?
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Take it whatever way you want. They'll be a week behind. Club not sure if they will be able to pay wages over the break.

http://blackandwhitetown.tumblr.com/...poke-at-length

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast