Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A Couple of Questions Re Dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Really hope Dundalk survive it would be awful for a club like that to go .

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Gerry Matthews has a lot to answer for, simple as, as well as his lapdog Paul Johnston. The man has been simmering money out of the club for ages now that the construction industry has gone belly up over the past 4 years. Simple question is to ask what ever happened the Danny kearns money...probably say its just resting in his accounts or something.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    PFAI tweet:

Dundalk in real danger of closing long meeting with them today after they met with the FAI. Hopefully all stakeholders can come together.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    PFAI tweet:
    yeah, but Monaghan do it and its wrong....
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    yeah, but Monaghan do it and its wrong....
    There is a huge difference between saying there is a meeting and letting people know they have no club over Twitter.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I wouldn't pay much heed to the PFAI, they've proven to be useless in the past and their main mans performance again last week really damaged their credibility. But it's bad in Oriel, too much bad blood to make it work.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I can't tell if it's a good sign or a very, very bad sign that the PFAI aren't threatening legal action yet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Looking bad enough up in Dundalk, to think that it was only a few years ago when we had the promotion battle with them to get into the promised land of the brand new FAI Premier league. A battle they won on the field of play, but which we (Galway Utd) won where it really counted i.e. with the top administrators of soccer in this country. Galway Utd of course are no longer with us but I hope Dundalk can survive. Not sure what positive contribution the PFAI can make to LoI soccer as they have been a (major) factor in destroying the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Dundalk is trending on Twitter #saveourclub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Trending on Twitter is all very good but Dundalk fans now need to start getting some funds organised if they want to save the club!! To instill some trust among contributors to such a fund, those monies need to be ringfenced by either the trust or an independent broker and kept away from Matthews & company.A statement needs to be forthcoming about this scenario.

The owners of the ground(the Casey family)also need to be more pro active with fans.They have been very quiet of late. tell us what legal or court actions are currently active against GM and v the YDC ?
    Dundalk fans will rally to the cause and try 100% to save the club, but they wont blindly hand over money without knowing where it is going !!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Would be terrible if this happened, I remember the Dundalk/Derry City cup final in the mid to late 80's, 88 maybe. It was one of the first times I had seen Irish club sides on television and it was a contributing factor in my beginning to attend L.O.I. games. I just hope this can be sorted out, very sad to lose any club, but Dundalk are one of those institution clubs in the Irish game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Came in here expecting worse news after what Dunny wrote in the "Say anything..." thread.
    Put the heart across me.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Donm't mind twitter. Anto Flood trended yesterday. Means nothing.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Trending on Twitter is all very good but Dundalk fans now need to start getting some funds organised if they want to save the club!! To instill some trust among contributors to such a fund, those monies need to be ringfenced by either the trust or an independent broker and kept away from Matthews & company.A statement needs to be forthcoming about this scenario.
    Sounds eerily familiar to TNB V FORAS. Hand over cash to try and save the club and see it go down a black hole V give money to the trust for a possible take over.

In our case, TNB was simply looking for too much to hand over the club and it had to be liquidated and started up again. It might be a catch 22 that the trust finds itself in.

A very wise poster on our forum noted the Bradford Bulls Rugby League issue at the moment. Fans raised £500,000 to save the club, it went down a black hole and now the club are still going in to liquidation.

Be careful and good luck.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post

The owners of the ground(the Casey family)also need to be more pro active with fans.They have been very quiet of late. tell us what legal or court actions are currently active against GM and v the YDC ?
    Dundalk fans will rally to the cause and try 100% to save the club, but they wont blindly hand over money without knowing where it is going !!
    Agreed especially with regard to the Twitter. Don't get me wrong it was great to see the club get some attention last night even if it was just over Twitter, but it's easy just to press retweet or post something on Twitter, what the club needs is the people of the town & surrounding area to start getting behind the club and start going to games again. The hardcore fans are going everyweek no matter what, but to many have stopped going to games this year and simply put the attendances are not good enough. We played the league leaders last week and only 750 turned up to Oriel. Compared to last when we got 1600 at the Sligo game.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    DUNDALK FC STATEMENT:

The Board have met with both Fran Gavin of the FAI and Stephen McGuinness & Ollie Cahill from the PFAI on Thursday morning. Both meetings have been very constructive and the Club acknowledge the part both organisations have played. However the club remains in a perilous financial state and the Board are still working extremely hard to secure the Clubs participation for the remainder of the season.

We acknowledge the worry and concern of the Clubs supporters but would ask for your continued support and we will continue to keep you informed as the situation becomes more clearer. Hopefully this will be a lot more sooner than later but as there are some sensitive issues at play we are unable to state when we can make further statements.

Doesnt tell us more than we already know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Would be terrible if this happened, I remember the Dundalk/Derry City cup final in the mid to late 80's, 88 maybe. It was one of the first times I had seen Irish club sides on television and it was a contributing factor in my beginning to attend L.O.I. games. I just hope this can be sorted out, very sad to lose any club, but Dundalk are one of those institution clubs in the Irish game.
    1988, must have been 25,000 crammed into Dalymount, and possibly 18,000 Derry fans, they had unbelievable support that day, never saw anything like it since or before, and I can still see John Cleary tuck his peno (that never should have been awarded) into the corner and about 10,000 Derry fans not moving.

Serious sitation ok, and all caused by the owner and his downturn business ventures, crucial is the white elephant YDC (youth devel centre), which he owns, he also owns the club but not oriel park. His biz plan was good from 2006 onwards, turned us from loss making to break even to profit of 50k when winning the first div in 2008. Then it all went downhill, mainly due to his lack of interest in the football side (its a fact he has NEVER attended an away game, including setanta final & two euro games). Yes he improved the infrastructure around oriel, 2k seats, tarmac walk in and all around the front, new offices, new shop, built a shed, improved media areas, floodlights, but crucially ignored pleas from fans to improve the away section, no roof, no proper toilets etc.

Also his choice of managers have been very poor, from Sean Connor to Foster, both on HUGE wages (to be fair Foster had one good season, but deserved to be sacked in the second, not just contract not renewed), and now McCaffrey, to be fair not the last mans fault, he is jsut out of his depth. Added to the conflict is the zero communication with fans, and poor treatment of last years sponsors fastfix, who tried (we are told) to take over with a cash injection (again we are told) twice, but he wouldnt entertain them. Other massive mistakes were dreadful decisions like putting in that awful pitch, no one likes it and it has either driven players away or prevented better ones joining, plus its first 2 year revenue is now only a fraction of what is was meant to deliver. Its a pure nuisance, nothing less.

Matthews Im told from anyone I have asked, is a one man show, his way or the highway, and thats what happens when you own a business outright. All points to a man trying to protect his own biz, and is prepared to let the football side go to the wall, has already said he wont be applying for a 2013 licence.

Not sure how long we have left, Im told possibly July to sort things out, also heard 48 hours, but no communication means, no one really knows.

Fogra, thanks to all other fans for support, not sure who said 'Irelands second most sucessfull team' but we lost that some time ago, think we are joint 3rd now, but history means nothing now.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    A kind of bizarre piece on it on extratime.ie.
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/art...-meet-dundalk/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    A kind of bizarre piece on it on extratime.ie.
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/art...-meet-dundalk/
    Today is Saturday!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I like Dundalk FC, great history, good ground and the majority of their support is excellent.
    Had a really mixed bag with them in 07 in the 1st Div. From getting showered in bottles in Oriel to swapping scarves in Finn Park in a great LOI moment.

Really hope we do not see the back of Dundalk.

25. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast