Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Shay Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    The rumour is Given to Arsenal, or perhaps Spurs (don't see Given leaving for Spurs, but maybe, just maybe I could see him going to Arsenal).

If Newcastle do sell Given, they're apparently going to try and get Paddy Kenny in as his replacement.

To be honest I think Harper is a better keeper than Kenny, so not sure it would be great for Kenny in the long run.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Going to Spurs would be just moving from one club that thinks it's bigger than it is to another. Moving to Arsenal would be the move he deserves and would be a move that would benefit both parties. Arsenal clearly have catching up to do but 3 or 4 good signings could make a big difference. A proper keeper, a strong centre back & a ball winning midfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'd love him to go to United. Van der Sar will probably retire at the end of the season and Given could easily fill his shoes. How much would Given go for? I couldn't see Wenger splashing the cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I'd love him to go to United. Van der Sar will probably retire at the end of the season and Given could easily fill his shoes. How much would Given go for? I couldn't see Wenger splashing the cash.
    I agree that he could easily fill VdZs shoes but I'd not like to see him at ManU. If VdZ keeps going Given could end up an understudy at 33. I don't think he'd get the share of games he'd have with Almunia at Arsenal.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I agree that he could easily fill VdZs shoes but I'd not like to see him at ManU. If VdZ keeps going Given could end up an understudy at 33. I don't think he'd get the share of games he'd have with Almunia at Arsenal.
    Surely if Almunia has been made captain in Fabregas' absence this shows that Wenger has no plans to replace him anytime soon. This Arsenal story has been around a good while and nothing ever concrete has been said other than newspaper speculation. Considering CF's absence for the coming months, i think Arsenal have more urgent needs....ie central midfielder.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think Denilson is similar enough to Fabregas to deputise for a while, though it does look like Arshavin is on Wenger's radar.

Centre-back and goalkeeper have regularly been Wenger's blindspots - though I'd love to know what Bob wilson's influence has been. At the moment Arsenal have no difficulty scoring in most games but they concede chances and goals at an alarming rate. A CB, GK and defensive midfielder would be my 3 priorities if I was Wenger, though I think Arshavin should be bought if available because Rosicki is long term absent and van Persie can't be relied upon in terms of fitness, temperament and even in front of goal.

I think the fact that Almunia is captain simply reflects that the team is bereft of natural leaders. If Wenger bought Given he'd be buying a strong personality, a steadying influence on his defence not to mention his ability as a keeper. Almunia may have some presence but in my opinion a less than totally reliable keeper breeds nervousness throught the defence, whereas the corollary also holds true. Almunia at his best iss very good (away in Kiev for example where Arsenal shipped chances at an astonishing rate but scored at will) but at his worst is a liability (home to Spurs for example). He's too hot and cold for my liking.

One of the UK papers (Express?) this morning says Given would cost £8 million.

Wenger can't possibly be ignorant of Given's ability, as he regularly excels against Arsenal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Denilson is similar enough to Fabregas to deputise for a while, though it does look like Arshavin is on Wenger's radar.

Centre-back and goalkeeper have regularly been Wenger's blindspots - though I'd love to know what Bob wilson's influence has been. At the moment Arsenal have no difficulty scoring in most games but they concede chances and goals at an alarming rate. A CB, GK and defensive midfielder would be my 3 priorities if I was Wenger, though I think Arshavin should be bought if available because Rosicki is long term absent and van Persie can't be relied upon in terms of fitness, temperament and even in front of goal.

I think the fact that Almunia is captain simply reflects that the team is bereft of natural leaders. If Wenger bought Given he'd be buying a strong personality, a steadying influence on his defence not to mention his ability as a keeper. Almunia may have some presence but in my opinion a less than totally reliable keeper breeds nervousness throught the defence, whereas the corollary also holds true. Almunia at his best iss very good (away in Kiev for example where Arsenal shipped chances at an astonishing rate but scored at will) but at his worst is a liability (home to Spurs for example). He's too hot and cold for my liking.

One of the UK papers (Express?) this morning says Given would cost £8 million.

Wenger can't possibly be ignorant of Given's ability, as he regularly excels against Arsenal.

Think I read that Wilson isn't there any more? In fairness, while not in the same class as Shay ,Lehman was a solid enough keeper despite the odd blunder. There does seem to be a blind spot there alright though, it was cringeworthy watching the likes of Almunia and Senderos in a team with as much flair as Arsenal have had. Hasn't Shay's missus not wanted to leave Newcastle for family reasons in the past? He really should move somewhere, I've always thought Arsenal would be a perfect move for him, they could certainly do with his leadership qualities, sorely lacking in that area....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    im not sayin dublin is some wonderful global city but why the hell would anyone willingly live in newcastle, especially one on the wages given is on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    im not sayin dublin is some wonderful global city but why the hell would anyone willingly live in newcastle, especially one on the wages given is on.

Compared to Gweedore it's probably Heaven on Earth
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    fíor

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Definitely deserves the chance of some silverware.

A move now to Arsenal or other competing side (Chelsea? Czech is not the keeper he once was) would not be that dissimilar to Van Der Sars move from Fulham to MU a few years back just in time to win a few championships and CL winners medal.........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Maybe theres a few more Cheryl Tweedy's up there that we dont know about....id stay for that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    So Man city's game goes to penos tonight. Hope given puts in a good showing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Shay Given saves twice to put City through
    Last edited by co. down green; 19/03/2009 at 9:48 PM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    So Man city's game goes to penos tonight. Hope given puts in a good showing
    wow he saved 2

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yea great saves by Given, I didn't think he was particularly good on penalties but he has proved me wrong there, 2 saved out of 5 is great going.
    I bet Mark Hughs is pleased with his new keeper!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lol ya he is normally woeful at penos. i would have liked to ass allborg go through, but the fact is manchester city have 3 irish players(yes 3) so i hope they win it so we can see an irish player lift a european cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I was actually very nervous watching those peno's. Really hoping Shay would do well and Dunne would score his. Delighted with how it finished.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    He got nowhere near the first two. For the first peno he was def off the line before the ball was kicked but almost every keeper uses that tactic these days so could to see Shay doing the same.
    The fourth pen by Aalborg was something else. Good peno by Dunne too, wouldnt have had him down as a penalty taker. As pen takers go, we have a decent choice, would be quiet happy with Whelan, Andrews, Doyle, Keane, McGeady and Hunt taking penalties.
    Last edited by elroy; 19/03/2009 at 11:04 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    That's Shay's quota of penalty saves used up for the year.
    Could be bad news for us.

Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast