Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1613

Thread: Shay Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert: Dropping Shay Given was vindicated': http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...n-to-drop-shay

Lambert admitted that Given had been “disappointed” when informed, but said it was the “right decision for the club.”

“Any decision to leave anybody out is tough. Shay is a world-class goalkeeper and has been for 15 years. But I made a decision and the two saves that Brad made, one in the first half and the free-kick at the end, were world class,” Lambert told the Daily Mirror.

“It took a wonder goal to peg us back. But the way Brad was playing it would have to be something like that to beat him.”

The Lifford born shot-stopper has experienced a dip in form over the past few months and announced his international retirement in August after playing a record 125 times for the Boys in Green.

“I spoke to Shay and he was disappointed," added Lambert. "It has not changed my opinion of him. I think it is the right decision. You can’t have favouritism. I need everyone. Not just one or two players.

"I value them the same as each other. You need team spirit and collectiveness, and fans turning up to support us," concluded the Aston Villa boss.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Guzan conceded 4 and gave away a penalty today. Not sure how at fault he was for all those but from the sounds of things it'll re-raise the issue of their starting keeper.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Guzan conceded 4 and gave away a penalty today. Not sure how at fault he was for all those but from the sounds of things it'll re-raise the issue of their starting keeper.

Wasn't at fault for any of the first 3, shocking play by the defence, would be very harsh if shay got back in on his performance today, Guzan was one of their best players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How did Clark do in the centre of that defence? Reportedly, he was doing well initially, but I'd read that before Villa conceded the four goals.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How did Clark do in the centre of that defence? Reportedly, he was doing well initially, but I'd read that before Villa conceded the four goals.
    He did ok, solid in the first half but villa fell apart in the second half, their full backs were non existent and they got no protection from midfield so him and vlaar were getting fairly hammered.

I wouldn't say his performance is worthy or reflective of that result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    He did ok, solid in the first half but villa fell apart in the second half, their full backs were non existent and they got no protection from midfield so him and vlaar were getting fairly hammered.

I wouldn't say his performance is worthy or reflective of that result.
    I see he was credited with an own goal on 72 minutes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Whats being said on villatalk seems to be in line with what manblue said. Fullbacks were awful and left Vlaar and Clark exposed. Most of them remained unconvinced about him but it doesn't sound like he was the primary culprit at least.

Stephen Ireland appears to be their perennial man of the match over there, sounds like his talents are going wasted with the poor quality of midfield/attacking players around him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Watching 41 and a half year old Brad Friedel tear it up for Spurs today against QPR. Not sure if Given can aspire to such longevity though... seems fanciful to think he'll still be playing then.... gives the impression both his body and confidence are being held together by sellotape these days...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Ah give him a break, he had more pressing things on his mind.....All-Ireland!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Shay starting for Villa tonight in their League Cup quarter-final fixture away to Norwich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    no sign of Stephen Ireland, not sure what to read into that. Hoolahan missing for Norwich too.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Didn't see the game but Shay got some very poor notices on Villa Talk during the game, said he looked very shaky on crosses and indecisive. However he apparently made one absolutely outstanding save to keep the game at 1-1.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Watching 41 and a half year old Brad Friedel tear it up for Spurs today against QPR. Not sure if Given can aspire to such longevity though... seems fanciful to think he'll still be playing then.... gives the impression both his body and confidence are being held together by sellotape these days...
    He needs somewhere to get some match practice - I guess if we had some B team games scheduled it would help.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    R5 Live referred to him as a liability last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Shay is considering a return to international football: http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...-international

The former Newcastle and Manchester City shot-stopper wrote, in his weekly column, that he 'missed' playing for the Boys in Green and refused to rule out a return to the international game.

And Giovanni Trapattoni is 'very happy' that the 36-year-old custodian, who boasts a record 125 international caps, is open to the idea of coming out of retirement.

"I am very happy that Shay has got over the disappointment of the Euros and would be happy to see him available again," Trapattoni told the Irish Sun. "I will be in touch with him to discuss it shortly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A bit more on this from the Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/irishsol/hom...al-action.html

SHAY GIVEN is keen to talk to Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni about a return to the international fold.

The Aston Villa goalkeeper, 36, is ready to hold discussions with Trap less than five months after his retirement.

A source close to the player told SunSport: “It is something on Shay’s mind and he is open to the idea of an Ireland comeback. He has always wondered if it was right to go after the Euros and he would be interested in talking to Giovanni Trapattoni.

“If the manager wants him back, then it is something that could happen.”

Currently out of favour at club level, Given is willing to reconsider his decision to quit after the Euro 2012 finals.

SunSport can also reveal that the 125-times capped Given could return for the February friendly against Poland at the Aviva.

That would push him back into the frame for the vital World Cup qualifier away to Sweden in March.

Given’s replacement Keiren Westwood has already been warned by Trapattoni about his lack of first-team football at Sunderland.

Donegal-born Given is in the same boat at Villa but could go on loan when the transfer window opens next week.

If he stays with the Premier League club, he will have a Capital One Cup semi-final to look forward to having played in all games in the competition this season.

The former Ireland captain won his last cap in the Euro 2012 defeat to Italy, the third of three straight losses at the finals.

His form in Poland was hampered by a knee injury picked up in the training camp in Italy weeks before the tournament.
    Kevin Kilbane also supportive of a return: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...illa-team.html

Aston Villa conceded 12 goals in two games over Christmas.

It’s time for Paul Lambert to play Shay Given.

Shay Given should be Villa’s No 1, and he should come back to play for the Republic of Ireland and fight Keiren Westwood for the right to play for his country again.

It has been a difficult 2012 for my old Ireland team-mate who struggled with injuries, and by his own admission didn’t match his own high standards in the Euro 2012 finals, probably because he wasn’t fully fit.

He then gave up playing for Ireland, with the backing of new manager Paul Lambert, to concentrate on his Villa career, only to lose his place to Brad Guzan.

Shay is fully fit now, and still hungry to play.

Brad Guzan is not in his league as a keeper and it is time the Villa boss realised it and brought Shay’s brilliance, determination and experience back to his team.

He needs him.
    This surprises me, to be honest. Shay sought to focus on his club career but obviously that's not going so well for him now. Of course he'd miss playing for us, especially when he can't even get regular football at club level, but this has a hint of desperation to it. People can blame a dip in form on the knee injury, but his ability/agility is also on the wane and he was poor for Villa recently despite being fully fit, judging by reports. If he does decide to return, would he be our best goalkeeping option? It's difficult to tell. Would it be progressive to revert back to relying on an old Shay or should we be focusing on ensuring our future options are getting game-time? I think he'd be good to have around the set-up as his experience and knowledge would be invaluable for the other keepers; I'm just not sure if he's the Shay he once was. Maybe he'll prove me wrong...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    I'm not so sure it's a good idea. Bunn or Westwood are better options at the minute.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    The international team is going nowhere anyway. We owe it to Shay to take him back if that's what he chooses to do.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Shay Given isn't owed a starting place in the team anymore. He's a been a great servant, but his best days are long behind him and he should be judged on his form right now. I can't see how he is a better option than Westwood going forward. I think Ireland should be cutting the cord more with this older generation of players.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Westwood hasn't played a single minute of a single match in the Premiership this season and yet he's more deserving of a place in our team than the greatest goalkeeper we've ever produced and are ever likely to produce at any point in any of our lives?

Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast