Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Shay Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Shay has to be out the door. In fairness Hart's a great young goalkeeper and has had a great game today. According to speculation there could be something of a goalkeeper merry-go-round in the offing, with Schwarzer, Friedel, Alumunia and Given all in the mix. Would love to see him at Arsenal personally though Fulham, with Mark Hughes, might be a more likely destination.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 14/08/2010 at 1:43 PM. Reason: rubbish spelling
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    I cant believe that someone of Shays quality doesnt have a queue of top Champions League clubs lining up to sign him. Its madness that he might have to settle for a mid table Premiership club.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I agree but he's been consistently underrated in the Premiership. Arsenal's his best hope - I hope he stays well clear of Celtic.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    The problem is that Mega oil bucks city will probably not sell Shay to one of their rivals in the premier league.

Would a big club from one of the other european leagues come in for him and if they did would Shay go for it. Sadly I would not put Glasgow Celtic in this bracket.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    An Italian side could come in for him on Trap's recommendation. The Italians aren't as hung up about having 11 foot goalkeepers as the English.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I hear Joe Hart is on his way to Buckingham Palce to get knighted this evening.

Wenger is rumoured to be looking at all kinds of goalkeeping opitions: £18mm for Lloris, £11mm for the Italian guy who replaced Buffon (name escapes me), Schwarzer for £2mm (despite having shown all his old failings at the World Cup)...

He should just test City with a £6mm offer for Shay. Let Shay hand in a tranmsfer request and it could all be dealt with. The surprise of Shay never attracting interest from Wenger is that over the years Shay has almost always played brilliantly at Arsenal.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fairness Shay wasn't really bang on form this last year for club & country it must be said, he had a dislocated shoulder which is a serious injury for a keeper so Mancini must have that in mind, Arsenal would have signed Shay ages ago and so would have Ferguson.Shay is also 34 I think and Mancini is aware of that also. Shay is a very good keeper but no way is he the best in the world, Buffon.Castillos & Van der Sar & Cech are better all round keepers.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Wages and City rivals will be the key to any move. Top European teams tend to look down on the standard of "home grown" as in English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh Premiership keepers. You never see a top European side bidding for "home grown" keepers in the Premiership. Ever. So I can't see that changing for Shay no matter what Trap might be saying. And City are unlikely to sell/loan to Arsenal a main rival. So it will have to be a side who is not seen as a rival to City. And one who can afford his wages. Fulham and Sunderland are the only two that spring to mind. If I was Shay I would keep my head down for the next 6 to 8 weeks at City until Mancini is shown the door. The first defeat and Mancini will bring Shay back and probably blame hart. I'm not convinced by the Italian and he is definetely no better a manager than Hughes.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 14/08/2010 at 5:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    In fairness Shay wasn't really bang on form this last year for club & country it must be said, he had a dislocated shoulder which is a serious injury for a keeper so Mancini must have that in mind, Arsenal would have signed Shay ages ago and so would have Ferguson.Shay is also 34 I think and Mancini is aware of that also. Shay is a very good keeper but no way is he the best in the world, Buffon.Castillos & Van der Sar & Cech are better all round keepers.

How can Shay's age be a reason why he's dropped if Van der Sar's a better keeper at the age of 40?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    How can Shay's age be a reason why he's dropped if Van der Sar's a better keeper at the age of 40?
    Who knows maybe Mancini prefers a keeper whos younger, btw Van der Sar is a way better keeper than Given.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Who knows maybe Mancini prefers a keeper whos younger, btw Van der Sar is a way better keeper than Given.
    Way better?? Seriously, come on.

Given did not deserved to be dropped but I had a feeling Mancini would give into the pressure that the English media would exert. As an English keeper, Hart is bound to commit a howler soon, hopefully. Not good for Shay to be sitting on the bench and he certainly doesnt deserve to be there.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm not sure we should be taking too seriously the opinion of somebody who rates "Castillos" over Given. Or should I say "Gavin"?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm not sure we should be taking too seriously the opinion of somebody who rates "Castillos" over Given. Or should I say "Gavin"?
    Last persons opinion that id take seriously here but sometimes its hard not to bite.

The sum of that opinion is pretty much along these lines..............

At the end of the day, every Irish player is rubbish or past it son. A few of the youngsters i have hopes for but in reality they wont make it either son. Stephen Ireland now there is a top player son.

WUM comes to mind.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pat Jennings was the best ever keeper Ireland produced followed by Shay Given, Packie Bonner I didn't rate though he was a lucky keeper. Ireland has not produced enough of quality keepers down the years it must be said. Yes Given is still a more than capable keeper but as I say no top club or top european side has ever tried to sign him. A fantastic shot-stopper but has a weakness in coming for crosses and commanding his defence. I would like him to be at a top club and he was mad to go to City imo as that club is a joke.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mistake in the spelling thats all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Seems more like a mistake in not knowing what his name is.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Last persons opinion that id take seriously here but sometimes its hard not to bite.

The sum of that opinion is pretty much along these lines..............

At the end of the day, every Irish player is rubbish or past it son. A few of the youngsters i have hopes for but in reality they wont make it either son. Stephen Ireland now there is a top player son.

WUM comes to mind.

Given,Dunne,Duff & Keane are the only quality players Ireland have, Doyle needs to score more in club & international level and S.Ireland is the best midfielder Ireland has produced in a while.

no wum son

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Seems more like a mistake in not knowing what his name is.

No son

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Way better?? Seriously, come on.

Given did not deserved to be dropped but I had a feeling Mancini would give into the pressure that the English media would exert. As an English keeper, Hart is bound to commit a howler soon, hopefully. Not good for Shay to be sitting on the bench and he certainly doesnt deserve to be there.

This "pressure from the english media' is total delusion and I'm sure Mancini is his own man.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    This "pressure from the english media' is total delusion and I'm sure Mancini is his own man.
    Don't think the "pressure from the english media is total delusion" at all. Given was outstanding for Man City last season and was unquestionably their No.1. He missed the last game due to injury. He worked hard to successfully get back to full fitness in time for the new season and Mancini rewards him by dropping him. The simple fact of the matter is that Shay was Man City's stand out player last season and should still be comfortably their No.1. Hart had a good spell at Birmingham and is a good keeper. Partly due to the dire need for England to have a competent keeper, the English media have built Hart up to be England's next Gordon Banks and Mancini has succumbed to their tirades.

Mancini is a bluffer and will be gone from City before Xmas. His signings over the summer have been derisory and his treatment of Shay nothing short of disgraceful. Even though Hart had his day in the sun today, the old adage of "form is temporary but class is permanent" comes to mind. Mancini will regret this one. Time to make ur move Arsene...................

21. Thanks From:

Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast