Thread: Irish Drugs Cheat

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question Irish Drugs Cheat

Lombard admits taking EPO

Will he get better or worse reception for admitting cheating?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Lombard admits taking EPO

Will he get better or worse reception for admitting cheating?
    The poor old Paddy had to take the DIY option when the super states have dedicated teams to ensure their drugs are well covered up.
    Feel sorry for him really.
    Just goes to show what a farce the Olympics is.
    Panorama highlighted the corruption with regard to money for votes last week. Just read, to my delight, that Big Brother is over when it dawned on me that the drug fest starts on Friday.
    Olympic Gold?
    Fools Gold more like.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    "I didn't set out to try and win medals or to make money. I just wanted to be as competitive as I could and have an equal chance with everyone else."

That about says it all really.
    Read between the lines...
    "I took them because at least then I'd be starting at the same level as all the others who are taking them and not getting caught."

There was an Olympics highlights show on the BBC over the weekend, They had the Soeul '88 100m final in it and went on about Ben Johnson the drugs cheat, with Carl Lewis adding his two cents.

Six of the eight that ran that race were subsequently caught taking drugs, including Lewis himself. It's a joke at this stage.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't know how the rest of the world feels, but I've lost faith in the olympics. I can't see myself watching much of it on telly. What's the point in watching events where so many of the "athletes" are cheating?

This is just the beginning of the debacle. I expect many more drug cheats over the coming months. What's the point in watching this rubbish?

Unlike Peader, I don't feel sorry for him. He's disgraced himself and his country.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    [I]"

Six of the eight that ran that race were subsequently caught taking drugs, including Lewis himself. It's a joke at this stage.

the really disturbing thing about that is that the american olympic federation
    knew lewis was dirty but as he was the "lynch pin"of their athletics team
    they turned a blind eye to a positive test he supplied at the us qualifiers for seoul-that is now fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamon
    He's disgraced himself and his country.
    By showing that we're one of the few western countries who don't have a state funded drugs for "athletes" scheme?
    After Michelle Smith I don't think I can feel shame where the olympic games are concerned.

Speaking of games, this is a must see for fans of BBC Wildlife shows.
    They're world leaders in this I feel.

Animal Games
    BBC ONE - Wed 11 Aug, 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm 60mins

"As the human world gathers to stage its greatest athletic contest, the Olympic Games, the animal world does the same, where they too compete for gold, silver and bronze.

Hosted by the Birds, the Games take place within a stadium, set deep inside a volcanic island. Animal competitors from the Mammals, Birds, Insects, Herptiles and the Fish nations are scaled to human size so everyone in on level pegging as they compete in the 100m, high jump, long jump, shooting, weight lifting and swimming.

All the tricks of multi-camera shooting, action replays and photo finishes are used to analyse each event. On screen BBC sport graphics impart facts and figures while commentators John Motson and Jonathan Pearce add to the excitement.

Compelling, entertaining and innovative television. The Animal Games redefines the possible."
    Last edited by Peadar; 09/08/2004 at 12:47 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Not shocked, not disappointed and not at all suprised...

Disgraced the country? No, disgraced himself maybe. But would he have even qualified if he wasn't taking EPO?

Any sport that is purely down to physical fitness or endurance isn't "clean". More skillfull sports it may be less prevalent, but I really struggle to believe that any sport is 100% clean, including football.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    More skillfull sports it may be less prevalent, but I really struggle to believe that any sport is 100% clean, including football.
    Exactely! Hard to criticise the olympic sports so much when no one really knows how clean football is given almost zero testing involved. Sure the IOC had to threaten to dump football from the Olympics to maker FIFA agree to mandatory 2 year bans.

I think the creation of WADA is a big move forward although will continue to be the suspicion of undetectable drugs.

Gonna be harder to maintain interest in Olympics this year with almost no chance of irish medal...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Exactely! Hard to criticise the olympic sports so much when no one really knows how clean football is given almost zero testing involved.
    I think football is in bigger danger from recreational drugs than performance enhancing drugs. Too much free time and people get bored.
    If they invent a drug that makes you a skillfull player, I'll be off down to my GP for a perscription

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I think football is in bigger danger from recreational drugs than performance enhancing drugs. Too much free time and people get bored.
    If they invent a drug that makes you a skillfull player, I'll be off down to my GP for a perscription
    Plenty of drugs that would make you fitter/ stronger/ recover between games quicker/ recover from injury quicker etc... Could be the difference for a limited player. How many times do we here stuff about players having "good engines"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    How many times do we here stuff about players having "good engines"...
    They've got a test for Nandrolone.
    As for recovery, you can use loads legal products which work very well.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

Gonna be harder to maintain interest in Olympics this year with almost no chance of irish medal...

i think you might be forgetting about boxer andy lee who has a great chance of a medal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    i think you might be forgetting about boxer andy lee who has a great chance of a medal.
    OK lets say almost no chance of gold medal then as think maybe few wins gets Olympoic boxing medal although competition would be top notch?

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    By showing that we're one of the few western countries who don't have a state funded drugs for "athletes" scheme?....."[/i]
    He disgraced us by cheating while representing us. I'm not calling for a witch hunt or anything, but I do think he let his country down. We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.
    We also expect success from our atheletes do we not?
    He felt that he could not compete, on a level playing field as it were, without taking drugs like the majority of his competitors.
    It's an unfortunate situation to be in but I wouldn't say he shamed us any more than Colin Farrell with his wild displays.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    OK lets say almost no chance of gold medal then as think maybe few wins gets Olympoic boxing medal although competition would be top notch?

i think he could win gold............watch this space.............he is top class

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It's an unfortunate situation to be in but I wouldn't say he shamed us any more than Colin Farrell with his wild displays.
    And he probably took far less drugs than young Colin, if some of his (Farrell's) interviews are to be believed...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not excusing lompard, but tobe fair he didn;t deny the charge, he came out straight away and admitted it, which surely is a first for an athlete using performance enhancing drugs
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    He disgraced us by cheating while representing us. I'm not calling for a witch hunt or anything, but I do think he let his country down. We expect our ambassadors (sporting and political) to conduct themselves with a certain level of decency. He didn't.
    Or did we (our country) let him dow by not providing state funded drugs facilities(like the superpowers of athletics) to mask the illegal drugs he should be taking to create a level playing field?
    While this question is sarcastic/ironic it also has reality on its side - think.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    not excusing lompard, but tobe fair he didn;t deny the charge, he came out straight away and admitted it, which surely is a first for an athlete using performance enhancing drugs
    I think people caught with EPO tend to admit it (British cyclist Millar) as it doesn't seem like something that can be ingested accidently.

Ireland is a very small place & Lombard is gonna have a hard time slipping back into society unnoticed.

I'd guess that Lombard has received some sort of state assistance for his trainng & preparation for the Olympics? Could be case to suggest he be expected to repay those monies...?

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast