Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Alan Shatter and the Indo Witch Hunt

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Alan Shatter and the Indo Witch Hunt

‘MINISTER FOR Justice Alan Shatter has accused the Irish Independent of adopting the witch-hunt tactics of the McCarthy era in American politics in pursuit of its own agenda. Mr Shatter said he would not engage in a media project to compile a blacklist of elected TDs that Ministers should not meet on legitimate official business.
    ‘Mr Shatter was responding to a front-page headline in yesterday’s Irish Independent which claimed he had refused to reveal if he had met Independent TD Michael Lowry.
    ‘Mr Shatter said that in reply to a “loaded question” from a journalist, as reported in the body of the Independent story, he had stated: “As Minister for Justice I am not participating in Independent Newspapers’ agenda.”’
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...314682110.html

Now, I’m quite prepared to believe that this might just be more of Shatter’s natural arrogance, but I’m also half inclined to think that he needs to start wearing a tinfoil hat to stop the voices getting into his head. AFAIK, all the other cabinet members answered the Indo's question; Phil Hogan (who has the most to gain from downplaying his friendship with Lowry) even provided minutes of his meeting.

Seriously, while Shatter may be a noted family law expert, his time as minister (and even before – anybody remember his leaflet which had a photo of himself dressed up in Star Trek gear?) shows him up as thoroughly divorced from reality, and maybe a liability to the coalition.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Shatter went down even further in my estimation (for what it's worth) by telling protesters to "get a life". This is right wing crap like we heard from the likes of Putin. He can whinge all he want (and in some ways INM are after FG blood - guilt by association with O'Brien) but Shatter has to realise that he represents a public that have become more british than the british and buy into tabloid spin, especially from INM.

Listening, this morning, to spoofer Gilmore's usual nonsense - "the banks have to start lending" - I do not have any faith in the ruling regime and cannot see an end to it unless the genuine Labour people realise they're going to destroy anything they can claim as being good by sticking with FG-FF lite.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shatter keeping things in perspective as usual.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think Shatter is generally a knob, but he does have a point, even if the McCarthy comparisons are way over the top. Like it or not, Lowry has a mandate to represent his constituency. Would they prefer to disenfranchise the voters of Tipp (even if they probably deserve it for voting for him). Also, it's not like INM have a vested interest in keeping O'Brien in the headlines, particularly running into an AGM where O'Brien is likely to challenge the O'Reilly's once again. One of those reverse Daddy or Chips situations - Shatter or INM...

btw Gotta love FF suddenly having a problem with Lowry. How many deals did FF do with him to prop up their Governments over the years, long after he was actually kicked out of FG?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    That was the other FF. As far as I can tell from their public statements, there is no connection between the two.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    That was the other FF. As far as I can tell from their public statements, there is no connection between the two.
    Except when comes to all the good stuff they say they did.

FF, the Cork/Derry of politics.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    it's not like INM have a vested interest in keeping O'Brien in the headlines, particularly running into an AGM where O'Brien is likely to challenge the O'Reilly's once again.
    But that's precisely why the O'Reilly's are gunning for O'Brien. I read in Phoenix recently that the balance of play on the board is tipping in his favour, and the O'Reilly's are doing their best to hold on to power by hook or by crook. The more they demonise him, the more they can keep pressure on a couple of board members who are wavering in their support. I think that's incidental to Shatter's thinking though. There's something else going on in that priggishly self-righteous head of his.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    And Gavin O'Reilly legged it today.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0419/inm.html
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    Thought he'd have fought it it until the agm, but the writing was on the wall. There'll be no more stories in the Indo about Lowry or Dinny from now on to shame Shatter and Inda and Co. Thank God for a free press.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    This piece in the IT today illustrates well that Independent newspapers are well capable of driving a witch hunt: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...315145169.html
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

11. Thanks From: