Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Association of Catholic Priests

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Association of Catholic Priests

After Fr. Flannery got rapped on the intellectual knuckles by the Vatican, the ACP have released a survey which suggests the general public have largely vindicated their stances, with clear majorities in favour of female ordinations, gay marriage and an end to clerical celibacy. The organisation had already planned a "National Assembly" in Dublin for May 7th, in which priests and the laity would discuss religious matters, which sounds rather similar to the Annual General Synod which Anglican Churches hold. The Church has also cracked down on an Austrian group holding the same debates, but surely it should be the right of all Catholics to discuss Church reform, when that seemed to be the whole point of Vatican Two? Many Catholics would have trust in their local priests, even if not clued in about theology, so could this be the start of an Irish Catholic Church, not changing any fundamental principles, but keeping aloof from Rome?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I heard this covered on the News at One, and it certainly sounds like it could (or perhaps should) be the start of some form of breakaway. For a start, the priest who was interviewed didn't seem to have much time for papal infallibility given the whole context of the debate!

I would have some reservations about the survey though. For example, the mass attendance figures seem totally at odds with what I'm told by a relation who is a Eucharistic minister and member of the our local parish council. If I heard right they claimed 1.6 million go to mass at least once a week. I find that very hard to believe, even if it was including things like weddings and funerals which people attend out of respect for others rather than as a symbol of faith.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    "Organisation releases survey which supports views of organisation."

I'm sorry but surely I'm not the only one who when they see "Association Of Catholic Priests" thinks: