Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Car Related Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post The Car Related Thread

Thought i'd start a thread on car related stuff .... so here goes with the first post.

Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit

This stuff comes recommended, not for scratches etc. but just to get below grime, wax, polish, to the clear coat and allows you to smooth the surface (and wax on top then)

Our non-abrasive clay bars safely, easily and instantly removes paint overspray, fallout, environmental contaminants and more, making waxing easier and more durable.
    Buddys car got sprayed when the neightbour was painting his house and he used this and its perfect.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Ye gods, someone finally started a motoring thread on Foot.ie. I thought footie fans just had no interest!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I am facing this nightmare, after recently purchasing a BMW and not being aware of the problem(during the cold spell):
    http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=4&t=115754

Its not cheap both gone, have to remove the whole bumper so charge a lot more...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Adam, there's other dedicated forums to talk motors Today I spent an hour dismantling the dash panels around the radio. Why? there is something up with the aux connection. It sounds like the speakers are slightly busted when I play the ipod through it(you can barely hear the vocals and the music sounds off). I'd hoped it would be a easy fix, but now I need to buy a new aux adaptor. This will definitely be my last ford, they've all been cursed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I have to confess to being a complete b'stard on the motoring front: if it's my car, it needs to be fixed today, now, yesterday. The wife still doesn't have a workign rear wipe though, and I've yet to take the time to hunt down the coin/pen/child's finger that's found itself into the dash vents.

BTW, I'm a complete car nerd and I hate the whiney asshats in the Motors forum on Boards, so you'll be seeing a lot of me in here. Roll on the Motoring forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I had a boards account but closed it as the moderation on some forums was mental. I get what your saying about the motors section, i had a few running ins with several people there, too many big egos amongst the longterm members!

Have ya the car long Adam? A Haynes manual is usually a pretty good investment, can be a bit pricey but you'd save plenty if your willing to have a go yourself. Due to the insane road taxes you lot pay, big engined cars quickly loose all value so i've been looking at buying some luxobarge and bringing it back North. Sadly the few cars I've gone to see have either shoddy service history(or none) or clearly been clocked. The hunt goes on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I regularly clash with the locals and the moderators, because the NIMBY Speed Kills Slow Down That's Naughty morons drive me demented. It's very definitely a Motoring forum, rather than a Drivers forum. Major difference.

I've it 18 months now, keep going to move to something a little more sensible but the wife keeps talking me down. Latest was that sure we're going into the summer, might as well keep it for the days trips; so that'll be another €475 later in the month. It's hard to argue with her when you're powering past a line of Yarii on the N25, tbh.

There's no Haynes for the E38 unfortunately, so I had to invest in a Bentley manual at a multiple of the price. Process looks ok and I'm a pretty good DIYer, it'd just be the first major mechanical thing I've done; pretty silly really, I should have been servicing it myself all along.

Now's the time to buy a barge if you can afford it though, they're dirt cheap to buy if you can face up to the running costs for a year or two. I'd actually go for broke on a 750il if I could afford it, but it just doesn't make sense right now so I'm currently lusting over a Volvo 850R on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I'm not really a petrol head, or take an interest beyond 'i need a car to get from A to B' but think its handy to share the knowledge and make the whole journey that bit easier.

www.mywheels.ie
    www.parkers.co.uk
    www.breakeryard.com
    www.partfinder.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Best way to be A Face! You could easily go skint if you get into making changes/improvement mods to your car. If you do your homework and buy a decent sub 5K car, bar usual small maintenance you should see most of your money back in a year or two as it'll have already done most of its depreciation.

750il would be a great car! Not many of them around and the interior is a hell of a lot nicer than most modern cars! Other than this month(i've clocked 3k miles so far) my mileage is pretty low so with lower fuel costs I could afford to run one. I'm spending far too much time on Donedeal browsing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Yeah, it's addictive. My current shortlist consists of an '04 Saab 9-5 Aero, a bright red '96 Volvo 850R, a high-spec but slow-as-fork '99 V70, and a Saab 9-5 complete sh1theap. It's all very confusing.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Hope ye don't mind me sharing this on yeer car thread.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I want to refresh the AC gas in my skoda octavia, have the refill can and the attachment got from halfords. but I cant for the life of me see the point to connect to under the bonnet?? any idea's how to figure it out? the manual of course has nothing, considering it says in the 'change a bulb' section that all work should be carried out by a trained skoda blah blah blah
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Is there a Haynes for it? I see they have an online section now, if you're in a hurry. If you join rather than buy a book, let us know how you get on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    My bus is for sale now btw, if anyone in a bit of luxobarge fun for a year or two.

http://www.adverts.ie/1547806

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Nice motor. If you do get the chance to give it a clean get a decent interior photo up aswell. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Thanks horton. The weather is not cooperating.

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quick one for ye. I left my car parked outside my local one night..when i picked uit up it looked like someone had driven into the side and scraped down it. Anyway i have a dent and a large scratch on the passenger side. I think will cost about 300 to fix. I'm just wondering if any of ye have tried tackling something like this yourselves? or am i better to bite the bullet and pay up?
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Depends on the car, the dent and your patience. Anyone can patch a small dent and paint it, but doing it right is hard; in fact getting it really right is near impossible without the right tools. If you love your car, then I wouldn't recommend it; if it's an A-B banger, then of course you should!

You might get cheaper using one of the PaintDoctor / Smart Repair crowds, particularly if the car isn't the love of your life. This fella is a mate of mine and he does good work, however he's in Cork. There's plenty of them about though.

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    img4b9a1343734db.jpg This is it. Different wheels on it. Its actually a TDi dressed up like GTi.

But i think I'd be better to get it done professionally alright..its a pretty big scratch so I'll probably just pay the money.

I'll shop around though because i did get the feeling i was being ripped off

Thanks for the advice.
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast